Who did the artwork on iWork?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Toe, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Have a look at the logo for iWork...

[​IMG]
    http://www.apple.com/iwork/

[​IMG]
    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=M9610Z/A

Everyone I've shown this to has said it looks familiar, but nobody can place it. And everybody especially thinks the little hand at the bottom looks really familiar.

Any ideas? What does this look like? Is it the same artist as whatever that is?

In any event, this artwork sure is a departure for Apple, no?

________
    Dead animals just aren't food.

2. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

It's deffinately retro feeling, like 60's I'd say. The artwork reminds of that of the Pink Panther 40th anniversary dvd boxed set, I'll see it if I can find examples.

EDIT: Here's a picture of the inside artwork of the DVD boxed set, look at the hands, they look similar. Perhaps same artist did the artwork?

[​IMG]

3. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Thats a picture by Shag. But I doubt he did the cover of iWork. Its probably just some Apple designer goon or some sort of outside creative agency.

4. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

It is a departure, and I have to say that I don't like it. The retro look would have complemented Apple's hardware when the lucite displays and iMac G4s were in the line-up, but it doesn't work so well with the current hardware.

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I do like the organic design feel of iLife but think that iWork should be more professional looking.

It does disturb me that the colors of iLife are reminicent of the BP logo. Maybe I'm just crazy though.

Attached Files:

6. maya macrumors 68040

maya

The new iLife and iWork box is a step apart from the past. I like its. It's refreshing and kookie, playful at best. :)

7. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

MONSTERS, INC. !

if any of you have seen the movie Monsters, Inc. , the opening sequence is done in this exact style of art, and is quite brilliant as well. Needless to say that Pixar and Apple have close ties *cough*. I am not saying this is where the idea directly stemmed from, as the movie is a couple years old now, but its a definite similarity. It is also semi-reminiscent of such cartoons as School House Rock/Rocky and Bullwinkle. (that style of art is also common among the older disney classics, 101 dalmatians comes to mind)

8. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

the hand on the bottom kinda sorta looks like this artwork from a Shins EP

Attached Files:

9. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

i have to say, I am dissapointed that apple didn't stay with cool colors and clean lines.

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The new iLife and iWork designs look more consumer-friendly than the iLife 04 packaging. Apple colorful is a refreshing change from the last 4 years of sparsity and uniform colors.

11. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

yeah, didn't you hear? love is in the air over at apple. i got the sense from the keynote that this is the year of love- marriage themes in iDVD being shown off and all. i must say, i like the return to a more organic computing experience. i was put off by the metal forms of the powermac, and the lack of a soul, so to speak, in the iceBook.

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The little hand at the bottom is very reminiscent of two artists.

One is Roy Doty, who is still working, but used to do that style of drawing back in the 1960s. I remember having a Laugh-In paperback that he illustrated.

The hand also reminds me somewhat of the drawing technique you used to see in Rocky and Bullwinkle. I'm not sure who drew those cartoons. Was it Jay Ward, or was he the producer?

13. SodaPopMonster macrumors regular

I Like the artistic feel of the new box art of iLife & iWork - makes iLife ' 04 look dull...

monster

14. jamdr macrumors 6502a

jamdr

I really like the new artwork for iLife and iWork. It is more consumer-friendly, which is really who these two suites are for. Keep those metallic, sparse designs for the pro software.

15. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

PIKMIN? Getting scared yet?

[​IMG]

16. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I like the new look that apple is taking. To me vector art is a style that I really enjoy creating. It's fresh, vibrant, colourful, and heads in a new direction.

Many artists copy the look/style of others. It is not blatant copyright violations as long as you don't copy the exact same look, design, images, composition, etc. And if a designer uses a photograph by someone else without getting permission, the designer should distort the photo. Look up Art Chantry's works and many others (www.gigposters.com) and you may understand what I am saying.

17. iGav macrumors G3

I don't think it's an especially fresh style, the whole vector shape on one colour backgrounds have been doing the rounds on less commercial work for a few years now, seems to be just beginning to get picked up by the mainstream that's all.

The vector work reminds me of a lot of Hyperkit's Life Size book.

With an illustrative style reminiscent of Penguin Dreams.

I think it's been done inhouse by Apple's Designers though myself. ;)

18. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i think i like the new boxes for the iSuites. nice and bright and cheerful.
    who else also, maye, possibly, sorta kinda wants different color macs again :)
    come on, maybe just the mac mini? to match the ipod minis colors! come on, i have no objections so long as there's no flower power! :eek:

19. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Made me think of old Dr Seuss books.

And when does apple include actual printed full length user guides with their products? Could hardly believe it.

20. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

Which incidentally is a rip off from the designer Saul Bass' artwork for the movie "Man With The Golden Arm." Also, it is very Rocky & Bullwinkle - esp. the part at the end of the opening credits where the flower is coming out of the ground and R & B pop out.

Attached Files:

21. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

anyone ever watch sheep in the big city? that's what it reminds me of.

22. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Agreed