Who do I have to beg to make sure a CUT command is in 10.5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LoveMacMini, Aug 11, 2006.

1. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

Seriously I'm not joking. Not trying to start flame bait. I love OS X, except for the fact that I can't cut, and navigating thru folders is a little bit of a pain in the ass as well.

2. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

You are right. I want that feature implemented as well. But it has been rumored that Apple intentionally removed that feature from all their OS'es for security reasons. Which makes sense to me, since this is a very basic feature but it's been left over for years now.

Same goes for drag and drop of some files in OS X. Sometimes, when you do a drag and drop, the system FORCES you to copy the file, and not just move it, although that they know that you can delete it from it's original location afterwards. I'm sure they have their reasons... and for those reasons, I don't expect to see the cut command implemented in Leopard.

3. MacSA macrumors 68000

MacSA

Cutting to move files is not a good idea... i've lost files in Windows through this... and just a few days I thought Id lost hundreds of important ones through this too. now I only use copy.

4. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

I use the terminal for moving files etc. It's a lot quicker and less prone to error. I'm from a unix background though.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

That only happens when you're copying to another disk or when you don't have permission to move the file from the folder. Very good reasons if you ask me. BTW I think there was a key you could press when copying files from a disk to delete the original file once it was copied.

LoveMacMini, so you can have something to backup your argument instead of a baseless comment (which is, indeed, flame bait), maybe you could say why you think navigating in the Finder is a pain in the arse and how you think they could improve it, or how adding a Cut feature would make it better. I've hard the arguments for and against adding a Cut feature too many times to get into it myself though. I'm sure plenty of other people will chime in.

6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Good thing Apple added Time Machine then! :p

7. cube macrumors G4

I want to drag and with a right button menu be able to select to copy or move.

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Just hold down 'command' when dragging it copies the file then erases the original. Effectively 'cutting'. This works even when moving to another HD. ;)

9. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020