who do you consider the best college in your field...in your area..nationwide

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Feb 15, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    for the business subjects i studied...if money were no object and i was actually a major league brain, i would choose stanford graduate business school in california...in the usa, i would choose harvard

for the topic of computer science *security and q and a i am studying locally, i would choose golden gate university in california and nationally, i would prefer MIT...but not sure if they are into q and a computer stuff (but they are MIT so i think they have all the bases covered)

i was an english major for a semester and in california, i would choose northridge state and nationally, i would look to oberlin or amherst

and for general studies for an undeclared major in california, stanford would be my choice and harvard for the national level

and if i was a basketball player, stanford would be my state choice and duke would be my national choice
  2. Akira macrumors member

Sep 18, 2002
    The Netherlands
    I can imagine studying at Oxford University could be really nice.....

But I'm going to study Architecture in Delft :p
  3. brogers macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2002
    Greensboro, NC
    Harvard or Yale nationally.

Duke, Chapel Hill and Wake Forest locally?

Duke probably.

Other great schools around here are UNC Greensboro, Appalachian State, NC State.

Too many to narrow down.
  4. P-Worm macrumors 68020

Jul 16, 2002
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I'm always going to be a BYU (Brigham Young University) person. It's my school, It's my families school, it's my religion's school.

Go Cougars!

5. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    For business the top rated business graduate schools are both in the chicago land area and I can't wait to goto one of them some day
    Northwestern University- Kellogg School of Managment- Best Management Program and best overal B-school
    University of Chicago- Founded by John D. Rockafellar- Best Finance Graduate School- Second best overall b-school

this is why i love chicago
  6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    For radio/tv production...

Ball State University (in Muncie Indiana) is the best in the state and one of the best in the nation (top 5, some years top 3). If I could have gone anywhere I probably would have choosen USC (since I want to do film).

7. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Jul 22, 2002
    Toledo, OH, formerly Twin Cities, MN
    For Graduate Astronomy...

(in no particular order):
    U of Arizona
  8. Dignan macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2002
    Harvard baby!

Although princeton was US News and Reports #1...Princeton is trying to bump themselves up, they have lured some good profs away from harvard, they accept fewer kids, they dont even accept transfers because everyone who is accepted goes, and they dont leave.

But yeah, Harvard is still tons cooler. And, its a state college! Howabout that?
  9. mcrain macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2002
    State School

University of Michigan is great overall. This is especially nice if you aren't sure what you want to do. If you go to some schools that are very highly ranked in one thing, but choose to switch to a different subject, it may not be as highly ranked.

Plus, U of M has great name recognition (not as good as, say Harvard, but very good), it is a state school so it is less expensive, and there are thousands and thousands of U of M grads all over the world who will put you under their wing once they know where you went to school.
  10. Dignan macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2002
    State school, UNC-Chapel Hill is also very good, always ranked one of the "best buys"
  11. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

Oct 28, 2001
    Greensboro, NC
    Well on a bit of a different note, being that both my girlfriend and myself are studying music...

locally University of NC @ Greensboro (SoM!!!)

Nationally.....depends on what field of music you are studying, for my girlfriend who aspires to be a conductor Europe is the only choice. I am a voice major so Julliard in NY and Indiana University are the tops!
  12. G4scott macrumors 68020

Jan 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've recently been admitted to the school of Computer Sciences at the University of Texas at Austin. They've got some relatively new equipment, and their program is not too big. For me, it's a good place to start.