who do you consider the worst director?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jan 17, 2005.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

james cameron, while highly regarded by the masses, and people who consider mall food high cuisine, gets my vote for worst director of all time

who do you consider the worst/cheesiest/gaudiest? of all directors today?

for the record, i like kurosawa and coppola

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Joel Schumacher. This is the man who single-handedly killed the Batman franchise. Nipples on costumes? Gah. Occasionally, he comes up with a good flick like Phone Booth, but those are few and far between.

Fav directors for me are Ridley Scott, Alex Proyas, and (when he's on his mark) Steven Spielberg.

3. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

maybe the nipples are to feed the baby batlings ;)

4. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Worst director? Well it's hard to tell because they rarely succeed beyond 1 or 2 films. The most well-renowned bad director is Roger Corman, but he launched the careers of many respected directors. Of the mainstream directors, I'd say George Lucas. He can write good stories, but he can't seem to elicit emotion from his actors, so they end up looking like cardboard cut-outs on screen. Terrible.

Some of the best directors would be Steven Spielberg (E.T), Martin Scorsese (Goodfellas), and Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven, Mystic River, Million Dollar Baby)

5. 3Memos macrumors 6502

James Cameron is not the worst director. He's made alot of great films, Aliens, Terminator and True Lies comes to mind.

6. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

well, i have to admit, i love that jamie lee curtis dance scene...majorly hot :)

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Depends on what is meant by "worst". If it means to consistently leave viewers in a manic depressed state, then Roman Polanski wins my vote. Sure, the Pianist won best picture but, from Rosemary's Baby to present day, his evangelistic zeal to develop imagery of themes on isolation, desire and absurdity are without equal.
    X

8. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Pianist was a great, great movie. Sure it was depressing, but the story was about triumph and redemption in the face of unbelievable atrocities. I think Roman Polanski is very gifted. His movies about human desparation ring true for many, if not all of us. As Benjamin Desrali once said, "Men lead lives of quiet desperation". So true.

9. SuperChuck macrumors 6502

SuperChuck

Well, Ed Wood deserves to be on the list somewhere.

I second the vote for James Cameron, but my personal pick is Gregg Araki.

As one of my friends said after watching The Doom Generation, "that movie ate my soul."

(secretly, I love watching his movies, but he really is spectacularly awful)

10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ah, Desraeli. But he was a classic imperialist. Ask India. It's quite another thing to marry in to wealth, then philsophize about how quietly desperate are those lives trodden under such. But back to the topic. Yes, The Pianist was a great movie, albeit intrinsic in its own, true right. I think, directed by another, it might have become a classic.
    X

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I'll put a vote in for Michael Moore altho he is only a documentary director, Joel Schumacher gets it for killing off the Batman franchise forever.

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You can't say Lucas is a bad director, because if it wasn't for him you wouldn't have the great special effects and you can bad mouth Star Wars all you want but it did save the movie industry back in the 70's. Granted ep 1 and 2 are not as good but I'm hoping that 3 will tie everything in nicely. Lucas went against the big studios to get his dream made so you can't fault him for that.

13. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

hard question to answer, as the truly bad directors are (deservedly) shrouded in obscurity.

My vote goes to whomever directed:

- any Olsen twins vehicle
    - any movie starring talking babies
    - any movie starring Freddie Prinze Jr.

...and so forth.

14. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

superbaby geniuses... holy smokes just watching the preview makes me want to vomite. :mad:

15. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Maybe he is just extremely rusty.. Irvin Kershner runs circles around him, when it comes to character development and dramatic storytelling.

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

17. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I would have to disagree here. What about Virgin Suicides? I feel the whole Coppola family have an excellent eye for mood and aesthetics, a real love for the concept of film. At the very least, they surround themselves with talented people and manage to elicit excellent performances from them. Roman Coppola, Sophia's brother, directed CQ, which is a fabulous movie and is also visually/moodily compelling.

Why I certainly wouldn't say she (or he, Roman) are the best directors, they are certainly not the worst and at their ages have time to improve their craft.

18. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    here here

19. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Well, we can agree to disagree...something I have learned well over in the PoliForum :D

I, admittedly, have not seen the interview(s) you mention, but I would submit that many people, creative or not, have trouble explaining themselves or their ideas in words. That does not necessarily mean they are crap at their job, just that they are poor communicators in that context.

I know plenty of people (myself included) who are pretty creative and talented in their field, but have an impossible time disseminating their processes to someone who asks...it's just one of those instinctual "feel" things, you know?

Do you get what I'm driving at? We are in agreement about Bill Murray, btw...great.

20. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Maybe it's just me but I find Sophia Coppola attractive, in that sort of bookworm, shy-schoolgirl sort of way. She's very talented, no doubt.

21. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Well, if you're talking about Canadian Bacon, you may be correct. What a waste of talent there. However Roger And Me was quite good. Slanted, but if you take it as a commentary not a documentary, it's pretty enjoyable and makes it's point. I'm assuming you mean F9/11, though, and would assume it's more the subject matter, and his to approach to it, that bothers you.

I think we should stay away from that subject, lest this be sent to the Political Forums.

My vote is for Paul W.S. Anderson. Director of such classics as AVP and Resident Evil. At least James Cameron and Joel Schumacher have some talent. Ed Wood at least had passion, if not the budget. Lucas could learn a thing or 2 from him.

Virgin Suicides was great BTW.

22. 3Memos macrumors 6502

Theres a saying in Hollywood "You're only as good as your last movie". Judging by the critical and public reaction to his last movie, ATOC, it was atrocious.

23. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

We've got a winner!

I never knew about that! Very interesting...learn something new everyday!

24. Brize macrumors 6502a

Brize

Steven Soderbergh gets my vote.

I'm still bemused as to why he would remake Solaris. He's stated that he was simply adapting Stanislaw Lem's novel, rather than remaking Tarkovsky's original adaptation. That seems a rather convenient way of justifying the project, and highly implausible given his admiration of Tarkovsky's work. Predictably, the end result was an incoherent mess, with none of the ambience that made Tarkovsky's film so captivating. I'm curious as to what Soderbergh was hoping to achieve by revisiting a canonised work. It would indicate an incredible arrogance if he thought that he had the vision or talent to better, or even complement, Tarkovsky's version.

According to the IMDb, he's currently making a film called Che. It's bad enough that he's capitalising on the success of The Motorcycle Diaries, but unforgivable that the dialogue will be in English. There's just no limit to this man's lack of imagination and integrity.

Best directors producing consistently solid work in the present day: Jim Jarmusch, Wong Kar-Wai, Julio Medem, and Lukas Moodysson.