who else has an LG Chocolate? help... heh

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by charlestrippy, Nov 14, 2006.

1. charlestrippy macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

So i've got this Verizon LG Chocolate...
    and i'm curious - how can I get mp3's on this sucker (once I do - is i possible to use these mp3's as ring tones?)

If I was to get an song off of "V CAST" would I be able to use those songs as ring tones?

Thanks!!

PS -
    I saw this on eBay (the data cable)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160041563834&category=50327

but after I get them on here is there a setting to let it be a ring tone?

2. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

You have a MBP? Then why not connect the Chocolate over Bluetooth? Go to System Prefs > Bluetooth > Setup your device. Then, click the bluetooth icon in your menu bar and hit "Send File". Try sending an MP3 to the Chocolate. (Assuming OBEX is enabled on it)

Kevin

3. T-Stex macrumors 6502

If it's anything like other Verizon "Bluetooth Enabled" phones, OBEX is disabled. You might have to get the music transfer kit, or whatever Verizon calls it, and even then, it might not work with OSX. From what I've seen, Verizon phones don't play too well with Macs.

4. Stadsport macrumors regular

If you have firmware v03, you can do it through BitPim, which is multiplatform. Just be warned transfering files via bluetooth is WAY TOO SLOW.
    Music files are in /my_music on the phone.
    If you have firmware v04, they disabled this and bitpim can no longer do it. Your best option is to go ahead and get a microSD card and just load your songs up manually.
    As for making ringtones, my preferred method is to run an Mp3 through ToneThis. You should be able to buy a V-CAST song, transfer it to your computer and run it through ToneThis.

5. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

how do i see what firmware i have?

so I can pretty much - have my own mp3 - run it through "tonethis" (this is only for windows, right?) and then I use a data cable (found one on ebay way cheaper: here

and use BitPim and transfer it to my phone as a ringer? If I transfer it to my microSD card, can that still be used as a ringer? (just use that card as a storage base)?

thanks!

EDIT - so i tried the bluetooth method:

I clicked send file -
    [​IMG]

I got this error:
    [​IMG]

I even tried "browsing the phone":
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. Stadsport macrumors regular

You can't transfer files to the phone through conventional methods. Verizon cripples their phones' firmwares so they can pressure you into buying crap like the Music Essentials Kit (which is little more than a CD and USB cable for $30).
    What I was saying is I transfer Ringtones to my phone differently from music.
    For music, simply stick the MP3s on a microSD card in the my_music folder on your phone. You can also use BitPim to access the filesystem directly and manually place the files in the my_music folder in the phone's internal memory.
    I use ToneThis for ringtones. ToneThis lets you open an MP3, cut out the parts you want for your ringtone, and send the tone to your phone over the normal network (you enter your phone number and all). Yeah, it's Windows only.
    Alternatively, I think BitPim will also let you add ringtones. In the main window, try getting to it from Media>Ringers.

Also, the firmware version is in the phone's info page. I can't think of it off hand. If you have v04 you won't be able to transfer MUSIC through BitPim, but ringers should still be okay.

7. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

I bought a data cable off ebay (much much cheaper) that'll still work fine, right?

I think sadly, the phone is v04 - so I can't transfer music onto my phone? or does that mean I can not transfer using bitpim? transfering music files as ring tones using bitpim is still possible, right?

thanks!

8. Stadsport macrumors regular

V04 just means you can't transfer music into the filesystem via bitpim. You should be able to still use the USB cable, but you might need to use Windows Media Player or something like that; I dont know as I dont use a USB cable.
    And yeah, you should still be able to transfer ringtones via bitpim.

9. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

sweet, that's good to hear - hah

one last question - do you have to have a microsd card in order to transfer music as ring tones? or is that just necessary if i want to use the phone as an mp3 player?

when creating an mp3 player, whats the best (time wise) way to make it...30 seconds seems fine?

thanks!

10. whawhat macrumors 6502

save your energy. the iphone will be announced in january and before you know it the phone you have now will no longer be as cool as the latest thing.

iphone w/ phone, music and camera = sh%t, sign me up

11. Stadsport macrumors regular

30 seconds is about right. And yeah, I just use microSD for music. Your USB cable should be fine for transfering ringtones.

Some of us are happy with our current devices and aren't ready to break a contract for a new device that does the exact same thing.

12. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Guide To Putting MP3 Files On Your Chocolate (Internal Memory Or Memory Card) Through Bluetooth

1. Download BitPim

2. Install BitPim (By Dragging It To Your Drive Or App Folder)

3. Pair Your Chocolate With Mac OS X Using The "Setup Bluetooth Device..." Bluetooth Menu

4. Open BitPim

5. Go To The Preferences

6. Click On Phone Wizard

7. Select Your Carrier (Verizon), Brand (LG), & Phone Model (VX8500)

8. Click Next

9. Select The "/dev/cu.LGVX8500-BTDIAG-1" Port

10. Click Detect Phone To Make Sure it Communicated With You Phone

11. Now If You Do Not Have A Memory Card You Can Only Use The MP3's as ringtones.. you will have to put the songs under the "ringers" section. If you have a card, then it would fall under music (sd).

10. select which one you fall into. and click on the musical note with a plus sign. there select your song by browsing, and and convert it using the pop up screen. after its converted (might not respond for a sec but dont stress itll work), then press ok

11. once you selected all the songs u want on there go to the data menu and press send phone data. and select ringtone and press ok. this will send the data to the phone.

12. after this you should be done.. keep in mind you can also use this program to send pics and get texts from ur phone to your comp

13. charlestrippy thread starter macrumors 6502

charlestrippy

Edit:
    Never mind - the cell phone wasn't on "discovery mode"

thanks so much for that post - it helped a lot!!