Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
I was originally planning on buying from MacMall, after seeing that they're practically giving away the farm with rebates when you buy a new MacBook Pro, but they charge so much for shipping and ALSO charge sales tax that it's pointless to order from them to save money.

Amazon offers the $150 rebate, but only stocks the non-glossy screen MacBook Pro. Does anyone know of any online resellers that don't charge sales tax in Illinois, have the glossy screen 2.33ghz MacBook Pro ready to ship, AND have the $150 rebate?

I'm thinking of just saying nuts to it and ordering from Amazon. Free shipping, $150 rebate, no tax, and I'll have it tomorrow.

...Of course, no glossy display, but whatever.

mistyz23

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2007
I had read on here and a couple of other forums that Amazon is notorious for not coming through on their rebates. I would not count on getting it and just be pleased if it does come through for you.

You may want to just use the student discount from apple.com. My MBP 2.16 came for about 1700, then adding in tax was roughly 1950. It isn't great, but its better than paying full price. Think of it as just not paying sales tax.

The glossy display was well worth the week long wait. Think about it. Wait one week and have the laptop you want to the exact specification, or spend the next couple years wishing you had just been able to wait one week to get the featuer you want. :D

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
Eh I hardly ever keep a machine for more than a year to avoid having to buy Apple Care. I'm not that hung up on having the glossy display, I just thought it would be neat to try.

I've never had a problem with Amazon paying on any rebates, and I buy most of my electronics from them...?

Also not a student so that doesn't really work either.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
My amazon rebates, although not mac one's have always come through. Amazon tends to be good on returns as well, but I'd double check on macs. I've heard some bad things about MacMall, but hey I've heard bad things about Amazon. It seems to me though, no shipping and no tax alone make for a better deal at amazon. Plus if you use an Amazon credits card the send you gift certificatesa as well.. another 75 or so.

Matte vs. glossy... I'd take matte any time.

spercharged69

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 10, 2003
New York, NY
I'd just buy straight from Apple. It feels great knowing it's coming straight from Apple to your home.

I don't know, saving $300 between tax and rebates is a lot better than knowing it's coming direct from the hands of the assembly line children is Shenzen, China. I don't mind if it stops a few places on the way for a while. :D

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I don't know, saving $300 between tax and rebates is a lot better than knowing it's coming direct from the hands of the assembly line children is Shenzen, China. I don't mind if it stops a few places on the way for a while. :D

Not quite the same thing.. I bought my MacPro from amazon w/ rebate. The rebate hasn't come yet, but according to tracking, it's been approved. I'm surprised to hear about rebate problems at Amazon. They seem to be pretty good when it comes to that sort of thing.
If I were you, I'd go through Amazon. The savings are worth it... You're probably going to want to upgrade RAM soon so the savings can go towards the upgrades...

YT

oh yeah, and if you have amazon prime you can get next day shipping for $1.99

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
My amazon rebates, although not mac one's have always come through. Amazon tends to be good on returns as well, but I'd double check on macs. I've heard some bad things about MacMall, but hey I've heard bad things about Amazon. It seems to me though, no shipping and no tax alone make for a better deal at amazon. Plus if you use an Amazon credits card the send you gift certificatesa as well.. another 75 or so.

How long did that take? I'm waiting on my $100 rebate. Amazon said to wait patiently for 10 weeks. It's only been 4 but dang! It feels like a long time!

mistyz23

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2007
It is good to hear that the rebate problems may have just been rumors or people who had just not waited long enough. I also assumed that you were dyyyying to have the glossy screen. Guess not! Disregard what I said. :p Have you figured out what you would like to do?

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
I believe Amazon is very reliable with its rebates. I was very happy with my Mac purchase from Amazon. I did not have to cut any boxes or take photocopies, just filled out an online form. It took another six weeks or so for my rebate to arrive, but it was as painless as it goes for rebates.

The rebates to watch out for are the "manufacturer's rebates" where Amazon is not the one responsible, even if the rebate requires you to purchase from Amazon.

MacTom98110

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2007
Rebates

I tried to buy a computer from MacMall. I would definitely avoid them. They lied about delivery dates--3 times, in fact. I finally cancelled my order. Also, they don't honor their rebates. I sent one in for a laptop carrying case and they said it wasn't valid, but wouldn't say why, even though I followedt he instructions.

I then ordered my MacBook Pro from Mac Connection and they delivered my computer when they said they would. I rec'd an email from them today stating that my rebate had a problem in that I didn't send in the original UPC label. That is not true. I checked, rechecked, and rechecked the submission again and made sure everything was proper. I sent in the original UPC. While this isn't over yet, as of now it looks as though I am out $150. I'd be skeptical of rebates from these companies. I will repost if I get the rebate from MacConnection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.