Who Else Misses The Original "L" Charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Squilly, Feb 4, 2013.

1. macrumors 68020

Squilly

I really miss that charger. Made it so much easier to charge my MBP. Sucks that they replaced it with the "T" shaped connector. Much more cumbersome to connect. Anyone else miss the "L" connector?

2. macrumors G3

NT1440

Just so you know they went from T, to L, and now back to T.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

It used to be a "T" too? Eww...
    L all the way. :)

4. macrumors G3

NT1440

Yup, just google "magsafe" and check out the old white variants.

5. macrumors regular

Jurwin

I agree

6. macrumors 6502

trigonometry

Agreed, L shape was better.

7. macrumors member

Woo, classic T! I had a 2006 MBP, then no Mac, and now a rMBP. Thus the title of this thread confused me.

8. macrumors regular

Quazimojo

I dont mind the shape as much as i mind how easily it becomes disconnected.

Apparently i am not alone though if you read all the reviews under the spare adapter on Apple.com it seems to be the number one gripe.

Hopefully they will return to the L shape or find a new letter that holds on a bit tighter :).

9. macrumors 6502

it depends on where i'm working. At home I love the L since my cables come from the back of my desk, but when i'm on the go, my power adapter is often coming from the side or the front so the T is nicer.

10. macrumors 6502a

I'd pick L all the time. Though never got a Mac that came with a L. :(

11. macrumors Core

alphaod

The L-cable never was any good in my opinion because it either blocked the adjacent port or faced the other way. Basically there was only one direction to connect it, which I'm pretty sure isn't something Apple would want.

12. macrumors 65816

MultiFinder17

A little history lesson for some of you - original MagSafe on the left, current MagSafe 2 on the right.

Attached Files:

13. macrumors newbie

i miss the original white magsafe! the new one with my rmbp falls out way too easily....

14. macrumors 68020

Erasmus

Although the L-Magsafe is neater, and more convenient than the T-Magsafe, it also defeats the main purpose of the Magsafe idea: Bump it, and it disconnects.

The T connector pulls straight out under cable tension, disconnecting easily. The L connector twists and shears in the socket under cable tension, often transferring the force in full to the computer; i.e. not disconnecting, and pulling the computer off the desk. Whoops, crash, cry.

15. daneoni, Feb 4, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2013

macrumors G4

daneoni

Yup prefer the L shape all day any day. Glad my MBP and ACD have it.

Pretty much every well used T magsafe i've come across has a damaged cord at the base of the T head

16. macrumors 6502a

duervo

I don't miss it. I prefer the "T".

It sticks straight out, so less risk of getting in the way of the ports next to it. That is my biggest pet peeve with the "L" style cord.

When it sticks out the back, most people tend to have the cord wind around the back of the unit ... right past the exhaust for the cooling fans. The prolonged exposure to the heat from that exhaust is going to do bad things to the insulation on the power cord ... make the cord brittle, for example (in extreme cases), to the point where it cracks, exposing the wires inside.

There's lots of people that have had this problem with the "L" style cords. I suspect it has something to do with Apple's decision to switch back to the "T" style with the Magsafe2 chargers.

17. macrumors newbie

My current mbp has the L-style and it does not release always since the cord goes to the back and not the side... This has resulted that i charge the computer at night on a special location where the kids dont run around.
    Not a problem now since the battery is almost new, but give it a year or so...

18. macrumors regular

Nope, I'm glad they've gone back to the T so I never have to use an L! :D

19. macrumors 6502a

T > L

Also FYI, the cable is SUPPOSED to come off easily so you don't destroy your Mac by getting jumbled up in wires.

20. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

True, that is a pain in the ass if it's connected the wrong way (towards the ports).

21. macrumors 68000

L shape was the best.

22. macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

It technically went from T to L to T again but the materials changed as well.
    Plastic to Metal to Metal.

I like my L charger better.
    Doesnt bend the cords in a weird way.

23. macrumors 65816

When the laptop is in my lap and my legs are crossed, I always knock out the T shaped charger. That is the only reason I miss the L. Would be nice if they found a way to move the T to the back of the laptop.

24. thread starter macrumors 68020

Squilly

Yeah, I have noticed the "T" magnets aren't as strong, or it just makes a weak spot.

25. macrumors 65816

Actually it is just because it sticks out farther. The L sits closer to the side of the laptop instead of sticking out a perpendicular cord from the side. I'm not sure if the magnet is any stronger or weaker, it's just how it sits.