Who else works out?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JW8725, Aug 19, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

So we all love macs here, common ground..etc but how many here work out? I'm also a keen cyclist (good on ya Lance no.7) and I'm getting back into it after a silly layoff of 6 months.

My training is basically free weights as core exercises with alternate machine excersies weekly. Thats Mon - Fri in gym with lowerbody on Wednesdays. Weekends are what I call "eat what u wanna" days where I eat crap basically. All the sweets and chocolates I can muster. I tend not to eat simple sugars during the week to maintain definition.

I find working out takes away stress built up, workin the mac to be honest! Due to my sisters recent wedding I've slacked off but I'm back working it baby come Monday! I'd like to know who else shares this passion?

2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

Yeah i work out... although this summer i've been lazy as hell.... i gotta get back on top of it :rolleyes: ;)

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...I am not into weights and that whole scene but I do cycle and also lost of power walks (jogging is too hard on the wonky hockey knees...)...when at home on the computer and listening to music I like to do some stretching exercises and stuff like that...nothing hardcore but some stuff to keep me somewhat active....oh yeah!

4. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I just finished cycling but I didn't get very far... it's an exercycle! I've got hand weights too, and have been known to jog, but I much prefer to get my exercise by typing at a furious pace. :)

I always choose stairs when they are right next to an escalator. The last time I was in Washington D.C., I had fun taking the stairs down to and up from the subway. I've also done the stairs in the Washington monument three times (once up, twice down).

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

6. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I run... and 3-5 times a week i do abs and arm workouts. Not to exciting. My first cross country meet of the season is next saturday.

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my job pretty much keeps me in shape, i lost 15 pounds this summer because of it. however i do occasionally do some pushups and situps, i need to start doing more of the latter.... and i need to actually put some more weight on. 130 and 5'7" isnt good i know, so hopefully i can pack on some more muscle if i start working out

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I run and ride a lot. I very rarely drive anywhere. I occasionally swim. But I never do waits. Ever. :)

9. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

I definitely spend my fair share of time at the gym - usually 5-6 days a week and my workout takes me about 90 minutes. I used to do a ton of running, but lately I'm focusing more on weight training... I've got these skinny legs that I absolutely must put some muscle on!

The thing is, what I really like to do for exercise is hike and backpack, esp. in the mountains. Problem is I live in a crummy little town in Michigan and the terrain is far from mountainous. I'm planning to move out West w/in the next two years, and then hopefully I'll spend a lot less time in the gym and a lot more time in the wilderness!

10. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Which gym do you go to?

I was thinking about getting a membership @ the Power House gym on Hagadorn.

I've been pretty on-off with working out...worked out every day through high school, and 4 days a week during my first two years of college...but I havn't touched a weight since December. It's time to get back with it and not quit.

11. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Now how cool does that sound! :cool:

12. Inspector Lee macrumors 6502a

Inspector Lee

I work out at the MAC behind the Hannah Plaza. As I type I'm 13 of the last 14 days. Trying to get it together for a late-September jaunt to the Mummy Range in Rocky Mountain National Park.

Where on Hagadorn? There is a Gold's Gym on Hagadorn on the eastern fringe of campus (in the Hannah Plaza - I used to belong) and there is a Powerhouse on Grand River just north of campus.

I think the MAC is worth the $$$. They have a large indoor track (5 laps = 1 mile), all the classes are free (except maybe spinning), tennis is free if that is your thing and there is nothing like doing the post-workout trifecta - jacuzzi/steam room/sauna.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

14. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my sister went to our YMCA (irving park) for a bit, she just couldn't get the motivation steadily enough though.

just out of curiosity, for those of you who have gym memberships, does knowing that you are paying for the service/membership push you to go more than not? or is it inconsequential?

15. highres macrumors 6502a

highres

I walk about 4-5 miles a day at a good fast clip and weight train with free weights every other day. I also like to throw the baseball around and shoot some hoops with my brothers and nephew after work in the afternoon.

Up until 4 months ago the only exercise I got was moving my mouse across it's pad. I had an extremely developed right index finger muscle widely considered the "Arnold Swarzenegger" of pointer fingers. Working at a design firm in Los Angels the last 8 years and working on average 70-80 hr weeks I put on close to 60 lbs.

I am happy to say that with my exercise routine I have lost close to 40 lbs in the last 3 1/2 months.

16. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Doesn't matter. I don't go because I pay, I go because I enjoy going. This should be the only reason. Forcing you to go is tough because you'll quit at some point anyway. You need other motivation than money to actually go regularly.

17. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i worked at a camp so i had to run around with the kids, but my excersise is walking to the car to get dunkin donuts.

18. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Maybe I'm thinking of Gold's. I think I've got Gold's and Powerhouse mixed up.

I'll have to look into some of them before I join. There is a YMCA right across the street where I work, and they have state employee discounts which is nice. But I don't know if they have free weights, plus I'd have to pay to park. That's why the one on Hagadorn apealed to me - free parking lol

19. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

I don't subscribe to all the gym stuff, weights, and running machines, and cycling machines...

I simply swim, cycle and run. I run for my school, swim for fun and fitness, and cycle to school. :) Does that count as working out? ;)

20. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I love just walking with the dog somewhere. Bring an iPod every now and again or just enjoy the nice weather (if there is any).

Then, when its really windy i hit the beach for some kitesurfing. Brilliant fun :)

That's about it, i don't lift weights or anything. Never really got into that.

21. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

Wow, I've always wanted to do that.. :)

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I used to work out loads, but now im completely happy with my body. yes i did it all for looks. very shallow i know :) i'm not muscly but im toned enough.

my passion now is running, my parents are both marathon runners so i suppose im a pedigree runner. just got myself an iPod mini armband so i'll be taking that out with me now.

EDIT: ooh yea I do a lot of stunt kite flying. I just tend to stop when the wind REALLY picks up, they can do serious damage to the flyer and people around.
    Does rafting count as exercise? I do that sometimes and my body takes days to recover. those paddles destroy my arms.

23. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

It will skip a lot if you run.. get a shuffle..

24. Lau Guest

Me neither. I would just get so bored. If you run looking at scenery it's so much more interesting. I usually cycle to college as well, as I figure that you may as well get the exercise in when you have to travel anyway. My college's up a giant hill though- it takes about 20 minutes cycling up it, 5 minutes to recover, and another 5 minutes to change your t shirt! But then at the end of the day it's 12 minutes home, and you hardly have to pedal. :)

Anyway, yes, doing outdoor stuff totally counts, I reckon.

25. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

Not in my experience... I have a mini and run with it all the time. Never skipped once. Though I do always run either on an indoor track or a treadmill (I run outside too, but not w/ the mini... too afraid I'll take a spill and bust it) so maybe the smooth surfaces are what's keeping it from skipping.