Who Else's School System Is Flawed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zflauaus, Mar 1, 2007.

1. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Nov 19, 2004
    Ugh... more and more each day, I hate my high school.

Two things have come up just this week. We had three freshmen (my class) suspended, two people were in one situation.

The first thing was that two freshmen got into a fight in the hallway between classes and early in the morning. Supposedly it was about a comment about the guys mom. The thing is, most of the kids make "Your mom" jokes just being stupid, but apparently the joke escalated or something into a fist fight. The kid who threw the first punch, got punched, and dealt more punches got five-days suspension and the kid that got punched, threw one back, and got punched more got one-day. That just doesn't seem right to me. They should at least be equal.

But the main one REALLY ticked me off.

In our high school, we are supposed to have our phones off and in pockets/purses/locker/etc., of course everybody but me follows that rule. Well apparently one of the English teachers (not mine) was wearing a tight pair of pants that she shouldn't have been, and bent down. Of course, while this happened, a girl took a picture of it and sent it to three others. This happened on Monday. By Tuesday, all the freshmen, except me (nobody has my number), have the picture and by Wednesday, all the upper-class men have heard/seen it.

The following is a rumor, but I absolutely believe this happened.

The girl who caught it was set to get five days suspension and five days detention. Ok, seems like a fair punishment. Now then, the power of authority comes in. She is a daddy's girl, and daddy is the chief of police in our city. Apparently, he came in, talked to the principal, who has always shown a backbone, and backs down to one day suspension and five days detention.

So much for the backbone.

So, what do you think about this and is your school system flawed, or am I just being to nit-picky (which I know I'm not)?
  2. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    Back in 8th garde I was fooling around with my friends in science while watching a movie, the substitute was asleep:rolleyes: Anyways, my friends seemed like they were "pretending" to write on my back with pen, yet I thought they were using the dull side. Turns out they were writing nazi signs and other racsist comments on my upper back. The teacher found out and I got 2 days detetion with the people who wrote on my back.

Why did I get in trouble?
  3. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    High School is nothing more then a nice looking prison.
  4. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Mar 12, 2006
    N'Albany, Indiana
    It's more of people being flawed rather than the system.
  5. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    When I was in HS all I wanted to do was rebel because the system was so screwed up.

A school system has to be a parent and also let kids be adults but the line is so fine that its hard to determine what they are trying to accomplish.
  6. NotFound macrumors 6502a

Nov 30, 2006
    Our high school has "random" drug testing for all athletic departments.

I am a good student, I am involved in my community, tennis, student council, advanced leadership, an honorable student... yet every time there is a damn "random" test my name gets picked up... I have taken 4 "random" drug tests this year.

Edit: and I'm sorry, this might not sound like a major inconvenience to you- but I have major stage fright!!! They make you pee in the stall with the door open and someone standing right beside your stall... After my second RANDOM test they made a special rule for me and let me pee in peace.

Yet the joe blows on the basketball team and the football team do not get tested, and if someone from those teams do get tested they are just bench warmers anyways...

I am so ready to get out of high school
  7. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    High School sports is the biggest joke, they don't teach sportsmanship but more how to beat the system.
  8. jones14 macrumors member

Mar 1, 2007
    Someone try and top this...

One day in my health class (we had a substitute) a boy pulled out a crack pipe, lit it and literally smoked it in class, and the smell and smoke was extremely obvious, so then the substitute gets up and takes it from him and tells him that he is very dissapointed in him doing this, then lets him sit back down.

The sub then told the principal and the boy got 2 days of in school suspension and the juvenile officer was notified.
    (Our school handbook clearly states that 2 days of out of school suspension is the minimum for even having drugs, let alone smoking them in class)

The boy then was sentenced to a court date, where he was then given 4 hours of community service.

He was also allowed to play on the basketball team after the incident.
    (Once again it clearly states that if you are found with drugs, you are kicked off any sports teams)

My school is so screwed up
    (the court is a little messed up to)

Edit: I just remembered the other day when i was in a golf meeting where they were seeing who all will play this year and the coach smelled tobacco on someone and he said he didn't care that they were, but that they can't have any on them while we are at a match
  9. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    5 days suspension for taking a freakin picture?

Hell, when I was in high school, we could take out our cell phones in the middle of the lecture and text and play games as long as we weren't disrupting anyone and most teachers didn't care. They figured that it was the student's loss.
  10. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    my school/school system is seriously flawed. i guess im in the majority though...
  11. quagmire macrumors 603

Apr 19, 2004
    There was a huge fight at my HS back in January I believe it was. I think it was the Cops calling the shots, but they banned hats because they could give away that the wearer is in a gang. Sorry, but if I wear a Yankees hat, it doesn't mean I am in a Yankees gang and will kill every Red Sox gang member. :rolleyes:
  12. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    Wishing for a magic bus.
    No wearing hoods in school, quote Scott the hall monitor "This isn't a gang school".

No phones during school hours outside your locker. But the teachers can take calls in class. Super.

Some girl started doing a "Friday Dance" on Fridays in the cafeteria, but the administration deemed it "a distraction" and told her not to do it anymore.
    Ow! My hamburger went into my eye because of the Friday dance.

iPods in study hall? No way!

Insubordination. The rule book states all students are required to follow all "reasonable orders" given by teachers and administrators. One time I walked out at the bell because, well, the school day was over, but the teacher was punishing the class for being stupid. Sorry, not my job to control the class, I'm leaving. Told the deans to define reasonable. Told me I had one day in-school suspension.
  13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    hate to break it to you. Just because the bell rings it does not mean you are allowed to leave. The teacher is the one who is allowed to make that call not you the student.

Most of the stuff that you are complaining about is pretty standard. The hood one being the only off the wall one.

Cell phones yeah students should not have them. Teachers on the other had yeah it is ok for them to have it. They a lot of times have other responsibilities out side of school (their own kids or business calls) and them taking a lot of those calls is understandable. My mom general will take a phone call while she is teaching if it is from one of her family members. If it my brother sister or me and we are calling her during the school day means we are not calling to chat but calling because something happen (car wreck) or we need an answer to something important ASAP that or it to tell her of a massive change of plans but normally when we call it is not good. Hence the reason she will take the call.

Students on the other hand general do not have those other responsibilities and worries so why the hell do they need them. Plus you all are kids.

iPods--general ban at the school. It better to keep them off campus instead of encouraging them come. Plus the last thing they want to deal with is someone stolen iPod.
  14. G5Unit macrumors 68020

Apr 3, 2005
    I'm calling the cops
    You have got to be kidding me. Teachers are paid to teach, not talk on cell phones. Teachers also have cars and don't rely on others to get things done. On the other hand, kids don't get paid anything to sit in class all day a do 25 problems trying to figure out what angle little johnny has to look up into the sky to see the plane.

Kids also need rides home, therefor they need a cellphone. And iPods are good because they take away boredom. What do kids do when they're bored? They get stoned.

I'm sorry but the way you look at things is completely flawed. Kids have the power.
  15. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    This is exactly why we need some system of education where kids go away to school at 6 and don't come back home until they are adults (except for holidays and a small summer break, of course). Kids in general are way too spoiled these days...

I suppose the fact we have homeless people is because they all grew up before the cell phone was invented and their parents never came to pick them up? Give me a break.

In my day, guess what?...we didn't have any cell phones to get rides from our parents. We walked to school...and we liked it! We walked, and if it snowed, we kept walking...we walked and walked until nothing was left of our legs but bloody stumps with little pieces of skin hanging off and forest creatures nibbled at them and we liked it!
  16. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

Mar 16, 2006
    Wishing for a magic bus.
    It should be expected that if the teacher can take a call in class, so can I. We'd both be interrupting the class.

And I don't have to stay in class because the teacher is a douche, can't control the class, and takes it out on me. I'm going home.

I'm tired of everyone calling me "kid". I am not a kid.
  17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006

again read waht I said they are paid to teach but at the same time they have other responsibility that should allow them to take a phone call. It basicly the same thing as some one calling the front office and asking to speak with the teacher and they put you though if you are a family member, or other valid type of call. Just skipping the middle person.

Now I do not agree with them taking a phone call just to talk. But taking a phone call for more of important things (aka son wreck their car, or family related business that can not wait ect) the calls I have made to my mom during the school day will relate with something I need an answer to ASAP and it is something that can not wait and which for me has been medically related. Generally important calls.

Now cell phones that belong to the student DO NOT belong in the class room and there is ZERO reason for them to be there and turn on. Teachers do have valid reasons because they do have responsibilities for things OTHER than being at school. It goes double if they have family. Hell I work with kids at an after school program and they are not allowed to have phones with them at all blank rule. teachers yes are allowed. Most calls you can tell what they are dealing with by the caller id and you know the ones that can be sent to voice mail. Other calls you know when you get them it is not good.

Students having cell phones for rides and stuff is fine just leave the phone in the locker like the rules stated or at the very least TURN OFF AND OUT OF SIGHT.

as for the iPods the boredom excuse that rare. Most often than not the iPod get used in the class room while the teacher is trying to teach. So blank banning them is a much better solution than trying to catch the ones who are listening to it when they are not supposed to. it is very easy to hide the wires, and teacher not see you are doing it.
  18. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    Nota bene: You, not anyone specifically, but "you" like "y'all."

Hate to break it to you, but education is for your benefit.
    Do you want to be stuck working minimum wage for the rest of your life? Some education is necessary for having some semblance of success in the world.

You're only in High school for four years. Suck it up. Some teachers are worse than others; some actually care and make learning enjoyable. Learn how to deal with authority figures that you can't stand now, it'll really help you in the long run when you have idiot bosses, asking for your TPS report and asking you to work on Thanksgiving.

(Warning: I'm about to reminisce about 6 months in the past)
    When I was in high school, I really wish more of my fellow students would realize that. When I was trying to learn at school (because that's what you're there to do), they'd be jabbering on about inane subjects, with no relation to the subject at hand, and held the whole class back. We'd get behind, and behind, and more behind, and eventually, we had to skip a few grammatical lessons so that we would be somewhat on time. When I'd try to further the discussion or whatever we were doing that day, I'd get guff from other students. I'm sorry, I don't want to be your co-worker at Burger King where I don't have to worry about misplaced modifiers because all I'm allowed to say is "Do you want fries with that?" (I also won't have to worry about run-on sentences for the same reason .;))

From the ages of about 6 to 18, it's your job to learn. In this country, kids aren't made to go work the salt mines from age 8. In this economy that is shifting from manufacturing to a service-sector economy, education is important. Be able to dispense medicines correctly; do taxes efficiently and correctly; write the computer program to be faster. All those things require some schoolin'.

So, turn off the damn iPod/cell phone and pay attention. Although living in a cardboard box is ecologically friendly, it's not the quality of life fir which anyone aims.

Oh yeah, and up hill in the snow both ways, yada yada yada. All that jazz.
  19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Oct 9, 2006
    exect for one thing. Teacher calls who take them general speaking are not exactly personal let me talk on the phone calls. Most of them know based on what who it is if the call is one that they can skip. Like I pointed out about my mom who is a teacher. Everyone who knows her cell number knows better than to call during the school day unless it is an emergcy related phone call. AN emergacy phone call is not exactly one you can skip.

Also as I pointed out before the teacher is the one who makes the rules in the class room and they are the ones to let you out. it is NOT the bell. You deserverd the punishment you got for disobaying the teacher. No if no and no buts about it. you disobey you teacher who is the one to let you out so you getting you dhall or what ever was punishment for it.
  20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    haha same here. i always played snake during my classes senior year

check out this video of a kid using a cell during class lol

21. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

May 4, 2002
    Go Vegan
    The smartest thing I've heard all day :p ;)

P.S.: Get off the lawn you meddling kids! Those are my Apples! *shakes cane* :D
  22. j26 macrumors 65832

Mar 30, 2005
    The aggressor got punished more. Sounds about right to me. (Watch out Bush & Co!)

Firstly its a rumour. In school. Circulated by kids. Is that reliable?
    Secondly, even if it's true, you still have no idea what happened at the meeting. There may be some significant punishment by her father. Don't jump to conclusions.
  23. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2007
    Yea my school is kinda light that. A kid got a 2 in-school suspension for tackling a kind in flag football when the vice principal saw it happen. A kid got a suspension for giving another kid the finger.

Want to know whats really flawed?
    Honors classes and AP classes are worth the same on the GPA scale, which is out of 6.25 but you cannot achieve because there is no honors gym/health. Its completely ridiculous and they were fixing it this year but it still doesn't work right.

Furthermore, students have 3 unexcused days off. That means if you skip school or want to go on vacation. If you are sick that doesn't count but after 2-3 consecutive days you need a note by a doctor. Vacations are no unexcused. On the other hand, teachers get 15 sick days a year that they can use for anything. Furthermore if they do not use them one year they add them onto the next year, up to 180 days. Additionally if they never use them they can cash them in for paid days when they retire.

When the teacher isn't at school, who doesn't learn- everyone. When your not at school who learns- everyone but you.

Edit: I thought of a great one.

Our principal appears to be very respectable. That was until at one of the school dances some kids came to it high and drunk. All of them were suspended from school... except for the principals son who is one of the biggest recreational drug users in our school.
  24. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    On behalf of teachers and administrators everywhere, thank you Katie! :)
  25. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

Sep 13, 2003
    Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Grumpy old man everyone!

I loved that character on SNL.