Who gives a **** about Merom?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jne381, Sep 18, 2006.

1. jne381 macrumors regular

I don't know about you, but I could really care less about Merom in the MBP.

-Sure it is 64bit, but your machine can only take advantage of it if it has MORE than 4 GB of RAM.
    -It is only slightly faster than the Core Duo, nothing to mess yourself over.
    -And it will probably produce more heat and reduce battery life.

So here is what I do care about.

-Better design of the MBP, with easy access to the Hard Drive and RAM (Like the MacBook.
    -A fix to any persistent problems in the first generation of MBPs (heat, whine).
    -A 13 inch model.
    -Improve the battery life.

It seems that once 64 bit is a necessity, the next generation of the MBP will be way out of date anyway, so I just don't understand the fuss over Merom.

As the notorious Chuck D once said, "Don't Believe the Hype."

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Actually virtual RAM is 48-bit, physical RAM is 36-bit, and the CHIPSET is 32-bit.

Still need the chipset upgrade ...

But Merom in this chipset isn't really about memory, it is the ability to use the programs that "may" require the new instructions.

Something that we didn't worry about with PPC much, but now have to worry about with the evolving x86 chips.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

boo merom! hooray yonah!

inspired by the redstripe beer commercials lol

4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Yeah! Let's go get him (Merom)! *lights torch, grabs shotgun, and brings a group of bloodhounds*

5. jne381 thread starter macrumors regular

I get my info from this post.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=230339

They seemed to know more about it than me, but you sound like you know what your talking about as well.

6. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

Not true.

It is faster, it is available, and it is easy for Apple to make the update, so I expect it will be here shortly. The performance increase is significant enough to make it worth waiting for for those who don't need a machine immediately.

Early test reports say battery life is the same as Yonah.

Overall it's a modest step up from Yonah, but to imply it isn't better at all isn't right.

7. generik macrumors 601

generik

I think we'd all be kidding ourselves if we think all that we are really after is the Merom chip, just do a search for "HDD" and "MBP" on these forums and see what's the general consensus on a virgin technician doing a HDD upgrade on his MBP by himself... not very encouraging isn't it :eek:

Personally I really want to see that Macbook HDD bay make its way to the MBP, oh and the cool memory latches, those are just clear innovative and clever designs :p

Merom is just the sweetener to future proof against whatever Leopard will bring, I will strongly consider buy the MBP if it comes with the HDD bay even if it ships with Yonah.

Edit: A 13" model is very welcome too!

8. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I don't give a crap about Merom, Yonah was pretty damn fast. But what I'm really looking forward to is some kind of graphics card upgrade. I'm spoiled by my Mac Pro+x1900 combo, I'd like something with some serious graphics power portably. The x1600 is great, but I want the greatest you can get in a 1" enclosure (tough, I know). A 160GB HDD BTO would be nice too.

9. manic macrumors regular

Im hoping for a merom Macbook, but the main reason im waiting is that I intend to do an awful lot of DVD to h.264 conversion and I understand meroms have the new SSE4 instructions, which are specific for speeding video conversion tasks. I guess the software needs to be updated to take advatage of SSE4, thts why benchmarks arent so impressive now.

Does anyone have solid info stating otherwise? Searching about SSE4 hasnt been easy for some odd reason. Even wikipedia let me down on this...

10. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

PLEASE CAN A MOD LOCK THIS THREAD?!?!?!??!!?

we REALLY DONT NEED ANOTHER MEROM THREAD

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ps: I don't give a crap about merom. i will in a year or so.

11. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

Well, when you start caring about Merom, it will be nearly two generations old.

12. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

AppleIntelRock

And two generations cheaper :D

13. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Nothing like a good processor lynching. ;) :D :)

*grabs torch and joins OnceUGoMac* ;)

14. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

280 what thread about merom? :rolleyes: I can only imagine the next 280 threads that will be posted when it does finally come out

15. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

You are right viccles,the complaining about Merom is most likely only bound to get worse.... :rolleyes:

16. dbxz macrumors newbie

This world does not revolve around you! if you havent noticed there are others on this planet. They might care about the C2D... so if u dont give a crap then dont click on the thread and post... jesus ur like a 2 year old

17. generik macrumors 601

generik

No.. the balance of the threads will start rolling when the Macbook gets updated tomorrow, first :D

18. dbxz macrumors newbie

i sure hope they come out tomorrow... i dont wanna wait for another tuesday :(

19. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

At least this thread is about Merom and not Memron.

\sigh of frustration.

20. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Way to be positive miles01110! :D :)

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

:D

I want all the things the OP wants -- smaller, longer battery life, etc. But putting Merom in the current MBs and MBPs would still be a significant zero-cost improvement over what we have now. The benchmarks seem fairly solid on this.

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

discussing Merom itself boring but the next Macbook (and Pro) update, which will include sensible priced upgrades, more RAM and (hopefully) more HD space is worth waiting for (and the fact that a core 2 chip will be better than any PC fanboys at Warwick) even though the chip itself will only be 10% quicker. It will also be more future proof as at some point Apple will stop supporting 32bit chips, probably when the G5 is dropped to be honest.

The sensible priced updates will probably mean I spend more with Apple as I'll probably get them to upgrade the HD to 160GB and RAM to 2GB.

Also the 15" MBP is in need for several other new features including Dual Layer Superdrive, Firewire 800, and possibly an extra USB port. Hopefully it will also get a slight price reduction too (though I'm not getting one).

I would be very disappointed if Apple don't go Core 2 at Photokina as otherwise they will loose some momentum on their laptops that they have built up over the last year.