Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mackie8

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2014
my ipad air 2 is brighter than the ipad air 1 i just bought for my son.... is it normal?

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
my ipad air 2 is brighter than the ipad air 1 i just bought for my son.... is it normal?

Mine is just a bit dimmer. Such a small difference that you need to hold both side by side to notice. I wouldn't worry.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
My Air 2 is perfect, no screen defects at all. I don't consider myself to be a lucky person normally so I suspect the amount of people with problems is relatively small but very loud. Just take it to the apple store!

ventuss

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Yes. I'm also very luck since the original Air. I once had to replace several iPads 3 and 4, to the point of just giving up. Now the Air and Air 2, both great screens at first attempt.

GalFriday

macrumors member
May 18, 2014
Northeast US
You anal retentive people who just go looking for (and possibly making up) issues with the screen are so annoying. Funny none of the tech blogs or news site mention widespread complaints about the screen. Possibly because there are none?

Bimmi

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Just throwing my experience in here for the record.

Bought an Air 2 from Staples which had a defective backlight: 50/50 split screen with one half being a good, bright neutral white and the other a delicate but distinct shade of pink. Drove me to endless distraction, as I'm mostly using the thing for books right now. Took it to the Apple Store.

There, I was given a replacement. To make a long story short, the replacement also had issues — still some pink tint, on the opposite side of the screen this time, extending from the top edge and fading out unevenly after app. 1-1/2 inches. The display was also noticeably dimmer, with fairly bad fading around 3 of the 4 edges.

I retrieved the original unit and took it back to Staples for an exchange. The third unit is completely free of any offensive tint, and while still not as bright as #1 and still having some fade along one side, is easily the best of the three.

Apple was, after some stiff persuasion, willing to offer me one more replacement if this one hadn't worked, but if it had come to down to four attempts I would have to say there are some serious issues with the Air 2 displays, and even having achieved what appears to be satisfaction I still think there may be a general problem here.

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I've gota small speck of dust at one spot on the screen. Is it liable for replacement?

If it's outside the return window then that's Apple's call. You can setup an appointment with a genius to see if they will replace it. It's a lot easier to get it replaced if you can visibly see it while the screen is on. If you have to hunt for it then that's going to be a tough sell to get it replaced.

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
If it's outside the return window then that's Apple's call. You can setup an appointment with a genius to see if they will replace it. It's a lot easier to get it replaced if you can visibly see it while the screen is on. If you have to hunt for it then that's going to be a tough sell to get it replaced.

I don't have a Genius Bar in my country, Singapore. But i can see it on white backgrounds only..

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
If you can see it on a white background then you should have no problems with an exchange.

Well I've jailbreaked it. So I was wondering if I should exchange it. Its only very visible on white backgrounds but then again, if I hadn't got to cleaning my screen, I would not notice it would be there.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
Well I've jailbreaked it. So I was wondering if I should exchange it. Its only very visible on white backgrounds but then again, if I hadn't got to cleaning my screen, I would not notice it would be there.

Unless JB is mandatory, you can easily restore to the latest version of iOS.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Perfect screen [ evenly lit, milky white and bright ] here... Have had the Air 2 for about 5 months now! :) Easily the best tablet ever since iPad 2 !

Ev0d3vil

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
By the way is it fine if I go without a screen protector? The screen looks very very good despite the minute small speck of dust..

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I've been lucky ... iPad 2 and 4 both perfect screens and still are, and iPad Air 2 perfect so far.

iPad Air 1 was replaced by Apple when it developed yellow tint when six months old. The replacement is perfect and arrived within 24 hours of the fault being verified by an Apple repairer.

So there certainly are faulty screens but in my experience they are rare. No problems with my MBPr or even my 2007 iMac or even my 2003 iBook ... Everything on that still works.

I don't still use all the older things myself but the friends or family members I give them to do.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
By the way is it fine if I go without a screen protector? The screen looks very very good despite the minute small speck of dust..

Never had screen protectors on any tablet, and its been just fine!

Phones, imho, need the tempered glass protector treatment. :)

M Powered

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
I noticed something...

I've owned iPad 1-4 and now the Air 2. Every time I got a Wifi only iPad the screen would always have issues... at one time I went through 11 exchanges for a perfect iPad 2, then gave up. I remember I would always end up getting the WIFI + Cellular version of every iPad, and strangely enough... each was PERFECT at first try. I just exchanged my iPad air 2 for a cellular today and sure enough, perfect screen. The iPad air 2 I returned had uniformity issues on the left like many have experienced.

serialtoon

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
1 of 8 bits
So my Air 2 that i just got a few days ago appears perfect. Im the kind of person who notices these kinds of things real easily. I went thru about 8 Nexus 6's before i got the "perfect" one as well. So yea, ive been thru this nightmare once already.

Jinzen

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I noticed something...

I've owned iPad 1-4 and now the Air 2. Every time I got a Wifi only iPad the screen would always have issues... at one time I went through 11 exchanges for a perfect iPad 2, then gave up. I remember I would always end up getting the WIFI + Cellular version of every iPad, and strangely enough... each was PERFECT at first try. I just exchanged my iPad air 2 for a cellular today and sure enough, perfect screen. The iPad air 2 I returned had uniformity issues on the left like many have experienced.

I had a perfect Air 2 64gb Cellular, sold it to family. Then I tried getting another one and went through 4x of them and each had horrible screens, from tinted smearing of pink to green, to shadows on the left of the screen.

Gave up and got a 64gb Wifi on sale instead and it's perfectly fine (not perfect, few displays are).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.