Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Here's the problem though. If Apple did institute a zero dead pixel policy, the costs would skyrocket. Your $2000+ computer would become a $3000-4000+ computer.

There's always going to be a tradeoff there.

This idea that because the computer is $2000 then that means no dead pixels should be allowed doesn't really work; do you think that if you go buy a $3000 Sony Vaio SZ premium and discover a dead pixel that they'll replace it just because you spent $3000 on it? More likely than not, the answer is no. At best you might get them to accept a return without a restocking fee, if bought through them directly.

I hear this argument time and time again but I simply don't understand the logic. Samsung offers a zero dead pixel policy on their LCD displays yet the pricing on those is very fair. In addition, we have received Dell laptops here at work with a dead pixel and Dell is more than happy to let us exchange no questions asked. If they can do it then I would think Apple could as well.

Hls811

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
New Jersey
Ordered my 15" MBP with matte screen, 2 GB RAM, 160 GB HDD the morning they were announced. I received it on Wednesday, November 1st, two days earlier than expected. There is always the remote nagging feeling after reading the forums of the potential "problems" you may possibly have.

I am elated that my MBP is just about flawless. I say "just about flawless" because it still is new and something may show up but to date, I have no issues.

No dead/stuck pixels and the screen is evenly lit
Absolutely no noise from HDD, fans, or from any other source
Temp not a problem, both fans running at 2,000 RPM & the temp is 123.8 F
Screen closes flush on all sides, no variance
Audio is experiencing no problems
And it is fast, starts up from time power button is pushed to completely up and running in less than 20 seconds, probably closer to 15 seconds

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!:cool:

Ditto.. my 15", Matte, 2.16Ghtz, 2GB ram, 160GB Drive has been flawless.

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
On the left a Core Duo MacBook Pro. On the right my Core2 Duo MacBook Pro. An obvious difference!

mbpcomparison.jpg

DHagan4755

macrumors 68020
Jul 18, 2002
Massachusetts
The new Core2 Duo MacBook Pro's display is brighter on the left than on the right and this can be seen in the comparison shot, where the Core Duo version is even throughout. It's easier to see in person when you're sitting right in front of it. It's driving me crazy.

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
My C2D MBP is nearly flawless...

...the space bar squeaks. Only when pressed on the right side, but I am right handed. Can only really hear it when there is no other noise in the room and you think about it...oh well, maybe it will loosen up with use.

joshwest

macrumors 65816
Apr 27, 2005
ive only noticed one problem since i recieved mine this morning, that the screen when a full brightness makes a high pitched noise very low in volume but i can hear it time to time , im gonna test drive it for a few days and might setup a service call on this baby other than that i love it couldnt ask for more.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
The new Core2 Duo MacBook Pro's display is brighter on the left than on the right and this can be seen in the comparison shot, where the Core Duo version is even throughout. It's easier to see in person when you're sitting right in front of it. It's driving me crazy.

Mine has the exact same problem. I even went to the Apple Store here in Indianapolis during my lunch to see if the display models had that issue. Indeed, 2 of the display models look just like yours (and mine). The 3rd was a glossy model and it had the problem as well, but was not quite as noticable given the glossy display. It seems to be a widespread issue. I will learn to live with it.

GraceMolloy

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Kentucky
You don't have to use BootCamp; there's an OS X program called Dead Pixel Identifier that will do the same basic thing:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/21747

Sweetness ... I rather dislike booting into Windows. Sadly I am going to HAVE to for work purposes. Stupid insurance websites (I'm an agent) only support Internet Explorer. I really wish Leopard would come out so I can do virtual desktops. would love to just ctrl-alt-right and move to windows in parallels.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
Sweetness ... I rather dislike booting into Windows. Sadly I am going to HAVE to for work purposes. Stupid insurance websites (I'm an agent) only support Internet Explorer. I really wish Leopard would come out so I can do virtual desktops. would love to just ctrl-alt-right and move to windows in parallels.

If it's just for IE, why not use Parallels anyway?

Unorthodox

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2006
Not at the beach...
Everything is perfect on mine except a minor scratch on the screen where it was viciously poked by an idiot who thought that they could get their point across better by poking the screen! :mad:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'd go to say mine was almost perfect as well but the screen issue....

GraceMolloy

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2006
Kentucky
If it's just for IE, why not use Parallels anyway?

I would have to use Parallels for this, so I don't understand the question.

The intention of my statement was one of a clean desktop.

I want to put Parallels in its own desktop so I don't have it on my main OSX desktop.

Zadillo

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2005
Baltimore, MD
I would have to use Parallels for this, so I don't understand the question.

The intention of my statement was one of a clean desktop.

I want to put Parallels in its own desktop so I don't have it on my main OSX desktop.

Ahh, I see. You had been talking before about how you didn't like having to boot into Boot Camp, so I thought that was a continuation.

I understand.

-Zadillo

sherryyar24

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2006
core 2 duo Mackbook pro issue ... Screen noise

Hey guys,

I had the core duo MBP and I hated it:mad: :mad: :mad: (ISSUES!!!) . Returned it and got the new Core2Duo and I'm loving every single moment of it:p :p :p . BTW, it's my first ever Mac computer:D . Anyhow, the thing is that whenever I put the brightness to 100% a small pitch noise (in quiet room you can hear it and it's annoying) start coming out of the right bottom corner of the lcd. I just don't know why....is this normal...has anyone one experienced anything like this.

Please share your thoughts before I spend time making appt, go to apple, and them telling me oh its normal.

thanx.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
Everything is perfect except the really really small difference in gap when i close my lcd. the right corner is very very slightly smaller...most probably wouldnt care.

hmm the complaints about noise and whining... i say its a computer. It'll make noise. mine has a slight whine near the power adapter area. I have to put my ear right to it though to hear it. its a high powered machine with a hard drive, and two fans. Noise is going to come from somewhere.

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
Just took delivery of mine... 2:30pm PST.

It's perfect.

Even LCD lighting.
No gaps in the case.
Completely silent. (just normal hdd access) No whine from the CPU or LCD.
All the keys are perfect to the touch.
Sound is very clean. Well balanced.
no heat issues as of yet., it's much cooler than my 15" and 17" CD MBP's.

Update:
The LCD appears to be a little more vivid over my previous 15 and 17 inch MBP's.

NorCalLights

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2006
I have a 2.33 with the 160Gb HD that is perfect. I run it on my lap while playing games and it doesn't get any hotter than my old Powerbook 800. The fans do run all the time (though at a very, very slow speed) which might be what throws people off, but I don't notice them as much. The fans on my Powerbook had three speeds (off, slow, fast) while the fans on the Macbook Pro are continuously variable.

I have no dead pixels, and the screen looks like every other hi-res laptop LCD I have ever seen.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Just took delivery of mine... 2:30pm PST.

It's perfect.

Even LCD lighting.
No gaps in the case.
Completely silent. (just normal hdd access) No whine from the CPU or LCD.
All the keys are perfect to the touch.
Sound is very clean. Well balanced.
no heat issues as of yet., it's much cooler than my 15" and 17" CD MBP's.

Update:
The LCD appears to be a little more vivid over my previous 15 and 17 inch MBP's.

Do you have a matte or glossy display?

Transeau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2005
Alta Loma, CA
4 hours in.. still no issues. :)
running on battery for 3 hours now. 114F and says I have 1:20 left. I hope it dies before bed time. I want to charge it overnight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.