Who has actually planned for Tiger?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by bousozoku, Apr 28, 2005.

?

Have you planned for Tiger?

1. Yes, I've been told that my applications will work.

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  2. Yes, my applications will not work.

2 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. No, I'll take a chance.

21 vote(s)
    52.5%
  4. No, I'm not running Mac OS X

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I was just wondering how many of you have actually done your homework and know that your applications and hacks/customisations are okay for Tiger prior to installing.

I've seen a few things that aren't and I'm going to be more cautious than I was with Panther since Panther itself had glaring problems compared to 10.2.8 and crippled various applications.

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I installed Tiger on a different disk drive altogether and switch between the two OSes. I'll update my apps as each developer confirms or acknowledges Tiger compatibility. I think this is the best way to do a safe upgrade. A slow 3-month migration. :)

3. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

I have done the same. When Tiger comes tomorrow I will put it on my second internal HD which I have emptied to make sure that I can check each Application as I go. If I find one that doesn't work, back to the Panther HD it goes! The only thing that I use that may have an issue is Matlab. Has anyone heard about that yet?

4. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

I always take a dive! I'll be backing up all my 40gig home folder to an external disk.. then just wipe the whole thing :D. Can't wait for Tiger.. my computer needs a wipe anyway.. i've installed so much 3rd party cr*p its not working great at moment! Tiger will fix this.. hopefully :D

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I voted "No, I'll take a chance."

On that note: Has anyone with Tiger (re-)installed LyX...?

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ok when I update I'm gonna wipe the drive clean, so how do i know I'm backing up all my important files without going through them 1 by 1

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i plan to start from scratch when i finally get tiger, which will probably be over the summer sometime when i can afford it. so just backing everything up etc will be oh so much fun!

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I have one semi-important app that, according to fairly reliable sounding reports, will *not* work. But I have done my homework. That app will have to run off Windows for now, because it was a nuisance on Macs anyway, and I rarely used it. Also (it's SPSS), my courses that specifically require it for homework are over and done with now -- if I do take any more statistics courses, I'm pretty sure SPSS won't be able to handle anything they throw my way. I've been hunting for reports on most of my other software. There are some pieces I'll roll the dice on, but they're not critical apps.

9. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I am running OS X but I'm not planning on upgrading to Tiger right away. Doesn't seem to be an option on this poll.

11. fatfish macrumors 6502

fatfish

I'm guessing that most if not all of the major apps will work, if your into instaling eye candy and obscure apps, I suspect upgrades will be released soon.

I'm heartened by the complete lack of reports of major flaws, such as ext FW drives being wiped etc., I think the worst I've seen is someone has lost their mail inbox. It seems an isolated case, and there are always a few that will instal without carrying out maintenance.

Not that the guy who lost his mail was in this group, but there are some that just ask for trouble.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Bousozoku-kun, I think you're making your point just by the fact that this is the 10th or so reply to your thread about planning, and all the "OMG, where is my copy of Tiger?" threads have four pages! :eek: :(

13. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

You mean there was a point to this thread? :D I just wanted to remind people to check their 3rd party applications.

I remember so many people crying about "Panther did...to me. How do I put Jaguar back?" I just believe in planning to a large extent to avoid disaster. I remember someone was saying that I was arrogant or something but it's so important to be safe, right?

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Could be, but they won't be posting for a while, because their computer got b0rk'd by Tiger. :D