Who has an Aquarium? Post your setups (Pics if ya got em)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by todd2000, Aug 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. todd2000 macrumors 68000

I see threads about Dogs, Cats, etc..., but have never see a thread about fish tanks (Salt or Fresh). I thought I would start one with my own tanks.

It all started when I was like 5 or 6, and I asked my uncle to buy me a Goldfish, and he came home with a 10G Aquarium Starter kit, and I have had aquariums since then.

Right now I have a 55G Freshwater tank that I started a few months ago, It has 8 Zebra Danios, 2 Fire Red Dwarf Groumies, and 2 Chinese Algae Eaters. here are a few pics

Full Tank shot:

[​IMG]

Groumies:

[​IMG]

Odly enough I couldn't find the Algea eaters while taking pics, I think I scared them, but they look like this:

[​IMG]

And the Danios are too fast to photograph so heres a pic:

[​IMG]

It's still a work in progress needs more decor, rocks plants, driftwood etc, but can't afford to do much to it right noe.

I had a Saltwater tank before this one, but took it down because I couldn't keep up with it anymore heres a pic: It looks bad cause it's right before I took it down

[​IMG]

So anyone else into Aquariums?

2. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

Shouldn't this be in the picture gallery?? I do want an imacquariuym though. I do have loads of old imacs to convert.

3. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

Well I didn't inted it to be just a picture thread, I was shooting for a discussion of Aquariums in general, with pics too. My friend has a Mac Classic that I wan't to turn into an aquarium, but he won't let me :)

4. bradc macrumors 6502

Nice! I've always wanted a nice Aquarium but I have no idea where to start, so you being the expert, tell me!

I'd like to have fish but they seem to be very expensive?

5. todd2000 thread starter macrumors 68000

I recommend fresh to start out, if you really wan't some help I be happy to PM you. Freshwater fish are not expensive at all.

6. Motley macrumors 6502

I'm currently camera-less, but I have a 25 gallon fresh water tank.
    4 High-fin black skirt tetras
    5 Bleeding heart tetras
    1 large plecto

If I can get my hands on a camera I'll post a pic.

7. Lau Guest

I used to have a few fish, just nice looking small goldfish really. I'd like to get some more when we finally settle in a flat.

I just kept them in a big cylindrical vase with gravel in the bottom (the vase was about a foot diameter and about two feet high), and I had some real plants and a bubbly pump thing. The fish were about an inch long, and grew to about an inch and a half. The top was open so the whole top of the water would be oxygenated.

Reckon that was a good enough size and shape tank to keep them in?

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im currently working on turning a Studio 17' CRT into a sweet little Aquarium. Its almost disassembled. You wouldnt believe the engineering that went into that Studio Display. Ill post when finish.

9. dbhays macrumors regular

dbhays

I have a 25 gallon tank. I wish I took better care of it. My Pleco (I call him Plecky) is huge and he pretty much destroys anything in the tank. He tears up the plants, makes holes in the gravel, knocks over the rocks and eats the live plants. The last time I tried to clean the tank, he was very aggressive. His spines were straight up and he was lunging at me. My cat used to love to try to get him through the glass, but now she is even afraid of him. I only have three other fish: one blood fin tetra and two tiger barbs. The other fish all got sucked up into the filter - pump and got shredded. Guess who knocked the filter pipe loose? Yup Plecky did.

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

I have a Beta fish in a vase, does that count? :p

Oddly enough, we got it from a friend - it's now like 3 1/2 years old, which as I understand it is pretty old for a Beta fish. Apparently they thrive on neglect.

11. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I like the idea of turning old stuff in an aquarium. If I ever end up with a lot of free time and a few spare bucks I might try that with an old tower or CRT case...

12. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

Did someone mention turnng old stuff into aquariums? :)

I have my Hex Tank make from an old end table.
    [​IMG]

This is a 10 gallon tank built into an old 21" monochrome monitor.
    [​IMG]

Of course, I have done several classic Macquariums.
    [​IMG]

There have been many others including a MacTV, Lisaquariums, etc but I don't have water/fish in them right now. The ones in the pictures above are in use at home now.

Not to blow my own horn too loudly, but if anyone is inclined to do a project like these feel free to ask me if you need advice. I started making Macquariums in '95 and have probably done 50 or more all together, all from acrylic.

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Cool stuff, I just got all the inards out of my studio so now I need a big tube of silicone, glass or plastic then ill get a Beta. Heres it so far.:eek: My 17"Studio Display Aquarium.:)

Attached Files:

14. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Thats going to be awesome. I cant wait to see picture of it when its done! :)

I used to have an aquarium... but all the fish died and I didnt feel like taking care of new ones so I got rid of it. :(

15. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

I've always wanted one of those stunning neon lit tropical built-it-a-wall aquariums... cost lots though

16. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

What is your plan for finishing it? Not trying to tell you how to do it, but you need to plan for a way to get gravel, water & fish into the tank and you need access to clean it and do other maintenance.

I must admit that clear case looks very cool. I am interested in your project - please keep us informed as you progress.

17. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

It has a neat little ventilation grate on top loaded with holes and its oval shape and large enough for your hand to go threw the top. Im going to put a handle on it and thats how ill go in and out of the Aquarium. Sealing the bottom is going to be a bitch, I have come up with a way so I can seal it and still allow the Monitor to pivot on its base. Its going to need a lot of silicone but I think it can be done. Ill do a thread on it when finished.;)

18. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

19. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Thanks, we will see what happens.:cool:

20. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

That aquarium out of the 17" is a such a cool idea. now you don't have to download marine aquarium x 2.0 :)

21. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

That is the best thing.With my iMac, i propose to cut out the handle at the top nd have that as a removeable lid thing.

22. jakebrake3202 macrumors newbie

jakebrake3202

imac aquarium

I know this post may be a little old but here is my aquarium

[​IMG]
    <br>[​IMG]

I have more pictures on my site at
    www.jakeharms.com

23. ItTakesII macrumors member

ItTakesII

That is AMAZING!!! *drools* I want one so bad :D

I have one 55 gallon long tank with a RES turtle. And I have a 5.5 gallon tank with Red-Cherry Shrimp (RCS) and a whole bunch of plants.

Too lazy to post pictures now so I will do so later :p

I also have a 24 gallon tall tank and a standard 10 gallon tank (both I found being thrown away but hold water) but I am not using them right now. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.