Who has an iPod Hi-Fi?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SkyBell, Jan 14, 2007.

1. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

It seems like the Hi-Fi isn't very peopular.

I just want to know how many MR members actaully have one.

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I do and have written about it in many other threads before. ;)

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It's too expensive for what it is......a hyped-up speaker. It may have decent or good sound, but I'm not paying $500-600 Australian for a speaker.

It'll probably make a silent exit from Apple's lineup.

4. technicolor macrumors 68000

technicolor

I have one. I am considering selling it though, because I dont use it enough.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Good sound costs money. Listen to it next to equivalent products and you'll hear and see the difference. I'd like an Audi but they're too expensive, they're just a hyped-up car.

6. furious macrumors 65816

furious

I bought the TDK Xa-40. For AU$50 it has a sub, and two middies. It is about 15cm by 15cm by 15cm, a cube (work that out you backwards Americans). So it is smaller, cheaper, and I think better looking.

Only problem is it is to bassy for my liking (out of the box). This Problem is easily fixed in iTunes - Window - Equaliser.

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'm not doubting that the sound quality is good or better than "equivalent" products from competitors like Bose, but the only thing that makes this speaker better than other, non-iPod related speakers, is the iPod Dock. I'd rather just go out and get a couple of speakers and a sub, and I think many people think the same way, as not too many people are buying the iPod Hi-Fi, or at least not at the Apple Reseller near my home.

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

However, those speakers won't take a set of batteries and go outside without needing any form of additional amplification. But yeah, I well understand if the conversion rate between the US & Aus dollar makes this an expensive product. Thought it was quite reasonably-priced here in the UK for what it was, which is an exceptionally well-designed and well-constructed piece of kit with a proper cabinet...

9. gavd macrumors 6502a

I don't have one, but I do think it's a good product and is well priced for what it is over here in the UK. I just can't really justify buying one with the stereo equipment I already have.

That's not to say I won't consider one later this year, when I hope to move to a bigger house than the flat I'm in now...

10. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I think it doesn't look very classy, it just sticks its *everything* out and doesn't blend in discretely with the rest of the decor

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It looks very classy. Granted, it's not covered in faux wood-grain and doesn't have a floral trim. So it depends on your decor...

So many opinions from people that don't own one and have probably never used one. Sound familiar? ;)

12. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I used one yesterday and wasn't impressed to the tune of $350.

Besides, I've got my old Technics stuff that does the job very well (for me). Sure it's got a big set of floor speakers, but truly good sound requires such things. As always, there are compromises (like when Bose sells the ol' "four sticks and a sub" junk).

13. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What kind of files were you playing on it? I think there's a space for it and for its size I can't see anything on the market here in the UK that remotely compares. For instance, I can't fit floor speakers into my kitchen nor could I take them outside. I have a main stereo for louder listening but that's not the same thing at all; it's a compact, smaller than most old 'ghetto-blasters' of yesteryear but far better sounding and far more capable of far higher undistorted sound levels. Reviews from all over the place say much the same thing...

Anyway, I think I've made my enthusiasm clear, so I'll leave it there.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I have a Hi-Fi and it sounds really good. Very loud and clear music. Do I think it's worth $350, no way. I also have a $450 1000w Onkyo System that blows away the Hi-Fi in every category.

jon

15. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

16. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Whatever the Apple Store had loaded into the iPod sitting atop the thing. :)

Of course if I had different requirements with considerations like size and portability I'd have a different attitude towards the compact music players.

For me, the good old rack component receiver setup is ideal, will always provide superior sound and has an affordable price.

For instance, I am shopping for a new receiver with HDMI switching right now and a 700+ watt 7.1 with Dolby Pro Surround EX Logic DTS RSX THX IIfx Every-damn-confusing-decoder-brand-in-the-world™ unit is around $300. It'll hide in the closet and be wired behind the walls to each speaker.

17. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I think the unit is practical, useful, looks cool, sounds good, but indeed is pricey here in Australia. (as most Apple products are)

the ability to go outdoors/mates, whatever with batteries is a big thumbs up!

18. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I checked out a Hi-Fi when they came out. Compared them with the Bose sounddock( I own one as well). Sound quality was about the same, but the Hi-Fi does have better bass.