Who has bought Halo?

Discussion in 'Games' started by CrackedButter, Dec 12, 2003.

1. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I've just preordered in from amazon.

Who else is getting it.

I'm buying it for my 1.25Ghz PB, i have 512 RAM, you think its enough?

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

My wife is getting it for me tonight from the inside mac games site.

3. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

Re: Who has bought Halo?

I'm afraid it might not be enough for it to play well. My friend has a PC version and his 2200 Athlon with 64mbs video card and 512Mbs ram. It lags pretty badly in some places. And makes it almost impossible to dominate online.
    Ive seen online play in halo and it sux. Almost every game I joined, i was killed by teamates all the time and spammers join in and yell all over the screen with caps. I'll wait until people actually have it on Mac to see how it is.

4. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

5. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

I doubt u need more... Id think video card and processor speed is the problem there...
    But give it a shot... see how it does.

6. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I think I'll wait as well. Even on my maxxed out Dual 1Ghz MDD I fear it'll hiccup.

7. jevel macrumors regular

As I said in another thread here, I played it on my PC when it first came for the platform. My PC consisted of a P4 3.0C GHz, 1GB RAM and a Radeon 9800PRO. I had to run 1280x1024, and at times it lagged seriously even on that hardware. It seems it's a porting issue, and I'm very curious on the Mac version to see if they've done a better job this time... Fingers crossed.

-KJ

8. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

I preordered it also. Should be arriving within 12 hours. I'm pretty psyched about it.

9. Haberdasher macrumors regular

People speak of 1280x1024 as if it was some paltry resolution...that is usually towards the highest end of the resolution levels in modern games, excepting widescreen and 1600x1200 (rediculously-high resolution excluded).

I think it's too hard to tell from whiney people's opinions just how fast a game is. To them, full detail at 1280x1024 and having it fluctuate between 25-30 fps is poor performance.

Ever considered that when you get the game you don't have to turn the detail that high? :rolleyes:

10. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

well its on the way, inside mac games Halo ordering site was screwed up, after trying to order the darn thing about a half dozen times i said heck with this crap so i ordered right from macsoft, im getting pretty excited about this games artificial intelligence. anyways i dont have a problem about running a game at 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768. Im just glad that we have a Mac version and im hoping it runs as well as UT2003. who built this ring world i want to know:confused: maybe if the mac sales are good we may see Halo2 next year?

11. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

Bizarre, my friend downloaded it to test it and tried playing online, he got 4-10 fps. He bought the game, went online, 40-60 fps. It only allowed him on laggy servers with a bad cd-key.

2200 Xp, 5800 Ultra, now it plays very well.

12. jevel macrumors regular

I take it that your experience in PC gaming is somewhat limited? With the spec I listed you'll get an average of 40~45 fps in Halo at that resolution. (Most graphics set to max, no AA or AF) When I say lag, I mean that it gets unresponsive and stutters. (15~20FPS) When FPS in a game varies this much, it's obvious that something is wrong!

If you take a look around the boards discussing Halo for PC, you'll see that I'm not the only one complaining about lag, so the issue is with the software, not my settings.

I hope they have fixed this in the Mac port. :D

-KJ

13. jevel macrumors regular

I haven't tried it online, and I guess that it's quite different, as it couldn't be loading "on the fly" as you do in singleplayer. I also finished it before any patches arrived (addictive gameplay ;) ), so I haven't been able to see if it has been fixed...

-KJ

14. justytylor macrumors newbie

Yes, I know, I'm insane... but I'm running it on my PowerBook 667 (VGA)

I've maxed the thing out with RAM (1 GB), but my ATi Rage Mobility (16MB) is definitely the bottleneck. But it's playable!
    [​IMG]

15. justytylor macrumors newbie

Trying again: wanted to get that image inline

Here's the screenshot:

Attached Files:

• halo.jpg
      halo.jpg
      File size:
      74.3 KB
      Views:
  16. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

17. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

I preordered it from Apple a while ago. It is on a FedEx truck for delivery on Monday. I hope it is playable on my Powerbook G4, but I think my Dual 2Gig G5 will be able to run it decently (with 9600 vid card)

18. Steradian macrumors 6502

I don;t have the $$$ yet....so I shall wait a few months then join the bandwagon, should drop about 20$ by then...least I hope so :p. I still haven;t even picked up frozen throne. Hmm how well do you guys think it will run on my 1GHz PB?

19. Haberdasher macrumors regular

It's not that I have no experience with PC games, it's that I have not looked for performance reports of Halo on the PC.

I believe that if Halo on the PC is fairly "buggy" in that poorly optimized software is causing game lag, I seriously doubt it will be a perfect performance on the Mac either. Check out the review of the game on a Dual 2 Gig G5 and a 9800 Pro-

http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=460

The reviewer comments that even on his machine performance was sometimes sluggish, not good news.

20. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

They need ot come out with a demo. If we could all test it out on our computers, then we would know for sure how well it would work before we drop $50 on it. I decided I'm not gonna get it until either I can play it on someone's mac, or get a demo. There's no way im just gonna spend $50 on soemthing I don't even know will play well enough to have fun. We need to push for a demo. I've been searching for a while, no one has put out a demo, and it really doesn't seem like one is gonna come out, which is rather dissapointing.

21. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I have a PB.

But if i installed this on an external drive with a 7200rpm would this improve performance somewhat?

22. jevel macrumors regular

A little bit when it comes to loading, but the bottleneck would not be your harddrive.

-KJ

23. CrackedButter thread starter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

24. jevel macrumors regular

My guess is that both RAM and CPU will be the bottlenecks. If you read the review posted earlier in this thread, you'll see that it ran OK on a dual 2.0GHz G5(!).

We probably have to stay at lower resolutions to make it playable on a 15''PB. :(

-KJ

25. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow. I've got a 1.25 GHz G4 with 64 MB Radeon 9000 Pro. I've only got 256 MB of RAM, but I've ordered another gig, just waiting for it to arrive.