Who has/had a Desk/Computer Area in Their Bedroom.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Xander562, Mar 10, 2007.

Do you have a computer/desk area in your room?

1. Yes I have a computer in my room.

87 vote(s)
  2. No I do not have a computer in my rooom.

13 vote(s)
  1. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    I've just been wondering how many of you during your teens, at home, have/had a computer/desk area in their bedroom. The reason is is my birthday is coming up, and I've asked for a desk to put in my room. I could then move my MBP (bought myself) and speakers, external HDD etc. etc. into my room. I've never really had a teenager "my room" type of thing where I could just kick back and relax there. I'd really like to make it my own and unique.

So: For the teenagers here on MacRumors, do you have a desk/computer area in your room?

ALSO: for those who are no longer teenagers - did you when you were
    a teenager?
  2. nitynate macrumors 6502a

Jan 22, 2006
    Clearwater, FL
    My parents made me take it out, and now its in the living room for typical adolescence-computer in room issues. I never came out of my room except to eat, fill in the blank, and fill in the blank.... :p
  3. someguy macrumors 68020

Dec 4, 2005
    Still here.
    When I lived at my parents' house, I had my own network setup in my room. A PC, my PBG4, and an old PC test parts, etc.

It was cool and definitely made my room a good place to chill by myself, but I ended up spending all my time there...

...now I'm living on my own and spend all my time on the computer in my own living room...

...so yeah. :p
  4. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I got the family's old Windows box when I was 17. Mainly 'cause my dad got a new computer and I pleaded for some sort of computer in my room. All my younger cousins already had their own newer computers in their own rooms... figured it wouldn't hurt me to ask for my family's beat up one. :p

Then saved up and bought my own nice computer, a 12" PB when I was 19. :)
  5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

Jun 27, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, I have 2 desks in my very small room, one is to hold all my software and my extra CRT monitor. The other is for my 15" LCD external monitor and MacBook Pro along with my Firewire external Hard drive and Mouse.
  6. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Many moons ago, when I was a teenager, I had a desk. No computer, though, as computers and monitors back then would have been about the size of the desk I had.

I do remember my wicked cool banker's lamp, though.

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I still have the one my sister handed down to me!!! :D But there's no light bulb in it. Hee.
  8. amholl macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2004
    I have my computer in my room. I am 15. When I'm home, I usually spend most of my time here, but you have to make sure it doesnt completely take over your life. I think that there are arguments for both sides on this issue, but it is good being able to have a computer and desk to do work with when you need a place with guarenteed quiet. It is also nice becase you can watch things and listen to music on the computer at night without waking anyone up.
  9. AppleDuck macrumors member

Mar 9, 2007
    I don't have enough room in my room for a desk. I share with my little sister. But I have a laptop, so I can bring it in there if I want to. But I don't usually do that. I don't have a chair in there and I sleep on the top bunk of the bunk beds, so it's not very convenient to use my laptop in there.
  10. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    Years ago, I had just a small desk in my room with my computer. Then, as I got a scanner, printer, etc. I replaced that with a desk a little wider and with more shelves on the top and stuff. It used to my in one area of my room.

Now my room has been taken over by my "desk" which is a largish corner glass desk. One computer on each side. Yesterday I added another desk/tv stand for my laser printer/copier. :eek: I don't have much room left now...
  11. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    Oh yes one other thing, I'm 16, this will be my 17th birthday.
  12. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    I'm 16 and I have a computer in my room, actually I have two, but one is an old windows one that I never use anymore.
  13. ghall macrumors 68040

Jun 27, 2006
    Rhode Island
    Yep, I'm a teen, and my desk is in my room. Its small, and perfectly fits my 15 macbook pro, my external drive, and a wireless mighty mouse.
  14. slicedbread macrumors regular

Nov 5, 2006
    nope, not any more.

for about 15y as i was going thru various levels of education i had a desk in the bedroom, for lack of a better place for it!

Ever since I moved, I converted my loft into a study, and the bedroom has been desk and computer free.
  15. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    We didn't have computers when I was a kid.

However, my laptop is my current setup wherever I am.
  16. Xander562 thread starter macrumors 68000

Apr 2, 2006
    For those of you who didn't have computers when you were a kid: Would you let your kids have a computer in their room? Why/ Why not?
  17. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2006
    I have a desk in my room, and when and if I get a laptop I'll put it up there.
  18. zblaxberg Guest

Jan 22, 2007
    I have 3 pc desktops in my room hooked up to comcast internet (surround sound too) plus a tv with comcast (and movie channels!!!), an ipod speaker/alrm clock thing and hopefully soon a mbp

p.s. i'm 17
  19. furcalchick macrumors 68020

Dec 19, 2006
    South Florida
    i'm a bit older than teenager, but had a computer in my room ever since i had my own. just do your homework first.
  20. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Jul 26, 2005
    I've had a computer in my room since I was 8 (I'm 15 now).
  21. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2006
    Since about age 8 i've had a computer in my room. My desk dissapeared around age 13, due to lack of use, and my computer then was obsolete with no internet. Later on I got my family's oldr computer, and used it atop a mini-fridge till I had to move the fridge out for a party. After that, I ditched the old Compaq for my current PMG4 and 17" flat panel, used atop my bureau until I got my snazzy glass desk for Christmas. Couldn't be happier.

(thats a lie, I want a MBP!!! :D )
  22. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ
    I've always had a crappy little desk in my room but i've never used it because my room is very isolated from the rest of the house. My computer desk / general area i reside in is my newly remodeled basement.. with a kitchenette, full bath, TV, and internet, and a fair amount of privacy it's pretty much like i have my own apartment (i don't live down here though but you theoretically could :p )
  23. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Yeap. Had it put in back in the Amiga days. Got 2 underneath places for legs, PowerBook keeps one busy and the iMac the other.

old pic. taken when i just got my iMac and was setting it all up. Dell monitor is on the opposite side of the iMac now, and I've got an (old) Pioneer amp instead.

Attached Files:

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level
    my family didnt get a computer (well aside from an apple ll) until i was 15 (we got an imac g3). Main reason since schools started to expect families to have internet for assignments and what not. I didnt get my own personal computer until I went away to college and since then, I have had a computer in my room with a dedicated desk
  25. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

May 28, 2005
    yes... it evolved that way. I got a laptop when i was 13 (it was old and used, nothing special) but I kept it in my room on my desk (which was already there for school work) and it's just evolved like that...

but I find that even though I've got everything set up in my room, unless I'm blasting music or something, I prefer to be downstairs around people, even if I ignore them.

I'm 19 now, and in college, and I have 2 computers in my room. one for music that's connected to speakers, and a laptop for real "work"