Who has kids in high school musicals and marching band?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by cwright, Feb 4, 2006.

1. cwright macrumors 6502a

No I'm not a parent... I'm a college student that's been doing alot of video work for the high schools around my home town for a few years.

Anyway, I'm just curious to know what parents are used to paying for event videos, specifically high school musicals for now. I'm shooting a musical next Saturday and I'm trying to determine what I can reasonably charge for DVD copies.

What I've seen so far is ridiculous pricing such as: companies that sell DVDs of Marching Band competitions for $35-$40 for a single 5-10 minute video that's made in real time with no editing. Is this a common pricing model? I started out doing marching band videos for the bands my siblings were in by shooting all (or most) of the competitions myself and editing all of them onto a compilation DVD along with photo slideshows, highlight videos, and other extras–and sold the DVD for $20.

Back to the musical: I'm trying to get away from the $15-$20 price bracket. I know my stuff, and I am quite capable of putting out a quality product. In this case I will be shooting with 3 cameras and have audio feeds from both the stage mics and the overhead mics to capture the audience's reactions. I will also spend one of the performances taking lots of high quality pictures to use on the DVD cover artwork and for slideshows on the DVD.

I guess my point is... are family and the general audience willing to pay $25-$30 for such a product?

Thanks

2. cslewis macrumors 6502a

cslewis

My little brother was 'Chip' in the high school's presentation of 'Beauty and the Beast'. The DVDs that an independent business made were of the entire play, and edited very well. However, the $30/each price made a lot of parents grumble... I think $15-$20 is ideal for the DVD's you're considering.

3. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

The Concord Blue Devils (DCI champs) charge 30-40 bucks per dvd. Their production is pretty involved though, including footage of a few field shows (high views, closeups, and a lot of B reel), footage from rehearsals, and extras. You might want to pick up a copy of one of their discs to check out. I think the pricing is a bit high, but am willing to bet most of those kids bought the disc, considering how selective that group is and how proud most of them probably were to have participated. I think aside from the quality of your production, the price you can charge will be dictated by how selective the band is, and how proud the members are to be in the group.

When I was in the pasadena tournament of roses band, the group charged 25 dollars. The vhs tape only covered rehearsals and footage from the rose parade. I would say around half the group bought the video.

Hope that helps.

4. danny_w macrumors 601

As a high school band parent (actually, my son has gone on to college now) I would say that you should limit your charges to a reasonable level, and here is why: Many people don't think about or realize that parents of kids in band and drama have to spend as much as they do on their kids, and their is precious little money left for 'extras' such as your video. After all of the money spent on band instruments, lessons, supplies, band trips, contests, etc. there is just nothing left. And if a parent wants to go on a trip with the band or drama group they must pay their own way, even if they are a chaperone. There were multiple times that I had to pass up a $30 or $45 video of a performance because I had simply been bled dry already; a more reasonable price would have certainly made it more likely that I would have bought that video. So please, give us parents a break!

5. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your input (and everyone else too).
    I understand parents are paying alot already–which is why I'm trying to find the right price: high enough to make it worth my time and low enough that parents are willing and able afford it.

In your situation, would you pass up a $25 video?

6. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

If you're hired as a professional, that may be a different scenario, not to mention copyright laws with certain musicals. When both mine were in high school, (are now in universities), I was asked to shoot 4 of their musicals and dramas (Much Ado About Nothing, Fiddler on the Roof) and master a DVD. We "sold" them for $US 5 to parents and "all" who provided the DVDs. And it was a nicely done product (I edited on FCP HD) and used DVD SP - 2 hours with menus, and everyone was happy. Again, if you're a professional and have parents and students in mind, I think you could come down on your pricing.

I wouldn't pay $US 25 for a high school DVD of anything.

7. cwright thread starter macrumors 6502a

Technically, I'm being hired as a professional, but its kind of a grey area. I started shooting video for the Lee's Summit School District before I established a company and considered myself a "professional". And to add to that, the school isn't paying me to shoot it at all–just allowing me to shoot it and sell copies. So I guess you could say I'm not being hired at all.

And just so we're clear on copyrights... The musical is Pirates of Penzance, which no longer has any copyright restrictions.

8. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

If they'll pay thousands of dollars for their children's instrument, they'll pay that much for a DVD of performances.

9. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Ya, we had to negociate shooting Fiddler. It is only a high school musical, after all. If you're doing a three camera shoot and think it's a fair price you're charging, go for it. I still think $US 25 is high, but that's just me, an ex-high school parent. Ironically, the lead sings "I Am the Pirate King!" in Penzance. :) At least I thought that was humorous...

10. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

also depends on the "neighborhood" if its a middle class upperclass.....