who has ventured to buy an iPod?

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Mar 8, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

I was not sure what forum to post this in, but I wanted to know who here has ventured into buying an iPod. Please tell us about your buying experience, what size model you got, and how long it's lasted, and of course your enjoyment level. -n

2. Angelus macrumors 6502

I bought a 30GB 3G ipod last summer. there were very few available at the time and i managed to get the only 30GB left in the county. It has been running sweet since the day i bought it and has made me the envy of all:)
    Plus the large hard drive came into its own about two months ago when i had to do a clean install of 10.2. I just copied everything including my music folder to the ipod,did a clean install and had everything copied back in about 30 min. Much better than having to use about 9 cd's.

3. evil macrumors 6502

i am on my second 30 gig ipod. my first one popped open so apple replaced it.
    i use it every day to listen to music and occasionally use it to move large video files from my laptop to my desktop.

i planned on getting the 15 gig at the time, but they were out of it and since my friend works at the store i got the 30 gig for about the retail price of the 15.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i got a 15gig in august, i love it and my gf got a 10gig a few months later, she loves it as well....my only problem is that i wish i would have gotten a bigger capacity because i realize now that its great as an external hard drive as well but thats not a real big deal....i recommend them to anyone with a large muisc collection.....its been working great for me since i got it, same with my gfs....

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

I first had the original 5GB with the spinning wheel...had that for awhile and sold it on eBay. Then I bought the original 10GB(with touchpad wheel) and had that for a year and sold it on eBay and upgraded to the original 20GB(with touchpad wheel) and have had that for a year now. In the meantime my wife also got an original 10GB(with touchpad wheel) and has had hers for a year now.
    The only problem I have had is that I broke the headphone port on my 20GB but they replaced it with AppleCare and sent me a new one, which was a dud, and are now in the process of sending another. So now I've been 2 days without an iPod waiting for a new-new one. The people on the AppleCare line have been great though and have given me no problems.
    My iPods have performed great with no battery issues. I would have already purchased a mini if the recording feature (of the 3G iPods) was enabled on them. Oh well, I can wait. The iPods are truly great products.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I've had a G1 10GB iPod since the early days (cost a small fortune, £469 at the time :eek:!!!). I have used it every day for the last 2yrs+, and it is still going strong...however, early next week I sould be taking delivery of a nice new G3 20GB :D for £200...how things change, twice the size, under half the price...

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I managed to get my parents to buy me a 20GB for my birthday. Of course, I still have to pay the $180 I owe them for it. I almost managed to get one with my PowerBook in September with that mega rebate deal, but the store in Cambridge was out of stock, and they didn't get any back until it was too late :(

8. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Within a couple of months of their almighty unleash unto the world I gots me a 1G iPod, of a mere 5gig, and it's still banging it out as sweet as a musical nut.

I thought about getting a newer shinier white beauty, but I felt I would be betraying my original unit.

Next step will be a mini, but only when this one knackers.

9. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

rhpenguin

15gb 3g iPod for me. Got it about a month ago. Cant go anywhere without it anymore.

The only problem is its a pain to use while driving. But the iTrip is a great accessory. Go get one!

10. Panopticon macrumors newbie

Got mine last summer to counter the boredom of my job, and the policy that IS enforced for no music on company machines.

I purchased a 3rd Gen. 15GB iPod directly from Apple with the student discount (I'm at Uni.). Spent most of the summer converting my music to AAC. Not only did it spare my sanity at that job, it keeps me sane at school. I keep the dock plugged into the wall and the dock's line out plugged into a set of multimedia speakers. When I get home, I just put it in the dock and listen to music while I hammer out projects and emails on my powerbook.

I have rarely bought pieces of technology where I've exploited its capabilities to their fullest. The iPod is one such device. It is an indespensable piece of campus living. It was also valuable at work, and in travelling/commuting to both school and work. I bought the Griffin iTrip FM transmitter for my car as well... which was also a good buy. I live in the largest city in Canada, and can still get an empty station through the iTrip.

Don't even hesitate to buy an iPod. The only cautionary note I can give you is that the battery on mine sucks. But if you plug it in all the time and use it during the day, you'll probably not notice the battery.

That's my 2¢ - Good luck!

11. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Tell me about it, i got a 10gb Gen2, and i remember having to eat beans for a month! Back then i musta easily paid over £350 for it.

12. sonofslim macrumors 6502a

sonofslim

i've had a 20gig for a few months, and there have been very few days i haven't used it since. no flaws or issues with mine, either. at first i was hesitant, because really, who needs 12 solid days of music in their pocket? and yeah, it is an extravagance, but man... what a great extravagance!!

13. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I've got a 5 gig first generation iPod. I got it the Christmas of the year it came out...So I've had it for over two years. The battery is weaker now, but I still get more than a few hours (yes, hours) out of it. So I'm happy.