Who Hates TV?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kill-your-tv, Feb 18, 2007.

1. kill-your-tv macrumors member

I can not stand television, period. I don't watch a "little bit" and I do not own one. It litteraly makes me nauseous. Anyone feel the same way? Anyone else not own a TV? What are your thoughts on TV?

Television has proved that people will look at anything rather than each other.
    Ann Landers

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Perhaps you shouldn't sit so close. ;)

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i'm not a TV addict; i watch it for Top Gear, House and the news. I have no idea how people watch it for hours a day.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I know what you mean. I can count the number of regular TV shows I watch on one hand.

Lost, Casualty, Life on Mars.

I used to watch the documentaries, but Wikipedia tells me all that jazz now. It's just not interesting. No shows really entertain me, same for films. I'd rather spend that time with family or friends doing something interesting or creative!

* just realised, since I download Lost and the UK shows I watch are on the BBC - I don't get exposed to TV adverts. HAH. take that... whoever.

5. kill-your-tv thread starter macrumors member

Cheesy, but I will admit it made me smile.:D

6. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

The only shows I watch now are Prison Break, 24, and Family Guy. I really dont watch much TV beyond that.

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Yeah I don't like a lot of the TV programs that are out. I usually just watch sport.

8. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I don't have a TV.

I don't miss it. If I want to watch a TV show I just download it, if its good I usually buy the season on DVD.

I haven't seen a TV ad in 5 years... :rolleyes:

9. sahnert macrumors 6502

I also don't own a tv. Movies are okay every once in a while, but TV shows annoy me because they are never over. It's always "to be continued..." I don't have the patience, time, or desire (let alone a TV) to watch an entire season so these clifhangers get on my nerves.

10. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

fivetoadsloth

Though my family has a tv i Never watch tv on it. I dont think i have for a couple years now, I really dont see the point.

11. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I guess you guys haven't seen HD shows yet ;)

But yes, I hate most of tv too and plan on cancelling my cable service soon.

12. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

TV shows nowdays have just gotten so boring. it seems like every show, with a few exceptions, has to relay on mindless humor. No one has any new ideas out there.

13. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i don't watch TV. i have one, but thats for movies, which i don't really even watch anymore either, and for my GC and Xbox, although i'll likely be getting rid of them at some point since i don't really play them anymore either. :rolleyes:

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I watch it when I want to. I have mute properly located for commercials, especially the one's which should be fined for pushing up the compresion/volume decibels beyond invasion of private ears, have gone days without viewing, and have pretty much given up FOX, CNN and national syndicated news stations for lent. It it there for my entertainment or information which widely consists of the Weather Channel, with the exception of Cheryl somebody, PBS, Animal Planet, AMC and an occasional movie on whichever channel. Oh, and sporting events which I've not boycotted as yet which include all NBA, NHL, Boxing and I still couldn't tell who the winner of a Cricket game is even when seeing the final score if there is such a thing.

So no, I don't hate TV. I'm too indifferent to it.

15. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

I watch TV occasionaly... I don't understand why people hate television so much. It's just like the internet: most of it is crap, but you do come across stuff that is very interesting (PBS has some great programs).

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes it is very similar to the internet. i'll agree with that. but there is one huge difference. i choose my own content via the Internet. i choose where to go and what sites to read and pay attention to. with TV i'm being sold a show. with ads in between. there are some shows that i wouldn't mind watching. mainly on Discovery/History/TLC and such, but i don't have it in me to just sit down and zone out to a TV show.

17. mike dunx macrumors regular

i don't really hate tv all together ... just the majority of what's on tv

18. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Good point about the ads. That's the main thing that turns me off from the discovery channel, even though they have some great shows. Somtimes I will tape the show I want to watch, then just fast forward through the ads.

19. Poseidon macrumors regular

Poseidon

TIVO Addict

Wow. I feel totally out of place here.

I own two TIVOs, although my girlfriend has mostly taken 'em over. I watch a little bit of everything, from SCI-FI and cartoons to documentaries and dramas.

I will say that it's very difficult for me to watch "regular" TVs nowadays; I'm so used to recording programs and fast-forwarding through commercials and other useless crap (Thanks TIVO!) that I have a very difficult time watching anything "live."

But I just can't imagine life without TV. There's something to be said for kicking back on the couch or easy chair and taking in a good show or sporting event.

[Of course maybe that view will change once I have a machine that can handle downloading shows via the Internet; I hadn't even heard of BitTorrent until recently.]

20. Binford macrumors member

I don't watch any tv either, aside from the very occasional NBA playoff game.

21. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

What a downer thread this is.:rolleyes: I have no problem with TV, there are a lot of good shows worth watching. If you don't like TV fine but no reason to complain about it.;)

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yes that is one option as well. and the beauty of DVRs. although its not worth the cost ratio to me. there is also product placement all over the place in 90% of shows on. at least i can filter the ads of the web. ;)

i don't think people are complaining, but moreso voicing a similar expression about the general state of which tv had degraded. not watching tv is going against the norm in society. its nice to know you're not alone. ;)

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If your trying to get away from the ads tho its more then TV that you have to avoid. Ads are everywhere, and don't forget the shows are there so there is something to see when there isn't an ad playing.:)

24. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I dont even see the point of ads on TV anymore. They could make just as much money with product placement. The ads are getting so annoying now. On some channels, there are ads like every 8 min.

25. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ads are the reason the networks try to find good shows. The shows are not what the networks want. They would be happy to not have any shows and just run ads all day.