who here buys computers more often than once a year?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Nov 9, 2002.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

...and in doing so, have no reason for an extended warranty?

when motorola was stuck at 500 mhz for a year and a half, it looked like one would have to keep a mac a long time because positive changes were few and far between

but now that things are moving faster now...new iMac with g4, super fast/faster g4s, and new tibooks/ibooks before mwsf, does anyone need to keep a mac long?

...or do they just keep selling them more often than once a year to keep up with the accelerating rate that macs are evolving at?

(btw...i am not one to ask with a still satisfactory experience with a pair of three year old computers...heck, i even drive below the speed limit ;) )

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

Well, I had a old mac for about 4 years (I was really
    little and I am not sure what model it was), and then
    I moved and got a classic iMac (333MHz :rolleyes: ) and used it
    for about 3 years. It was a good computer....
    I then forced
    my mom to buy a 450 MHz g4 which I used for 6 months
    and then my dad needed a computer for business
    so I gave him the iMac (which is plenty powerful for
    what he does), and I gave my mom my g4, and then
    I bought a 2.4 GHz pentium 4. I will have this
    computer for about a year and a half I am betting
    because I am planning on buying the powermac
    with the IBM 970 chip once it gets a speed bump,
    which I am guessing will happen In about a year
    and a half or 2 years.

3. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I buy a computer every 2-3 years, hence I'm running a 200 MHz and a 550 MHz PC. I didn't buy any warranty for my 550 MHz laptop...and haven't had much probems with it. Dianogstics say I have a HD error, but it doesn't affect its usability! I just can't run ScanDisk anymore :(

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I had my first Mac for nearly 4 years...

I bought my first TiBook early in 2001 when they were announced...

then I bought my second TiBook about 2 months ago...

so I'm averaging about once every 2 years... ;)

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It would be great to have that kind of money!

6. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Stelliform

I have my own consulting firm. Although I buy computers throughout the year, I buy comps for me every year or 2. (a perk of having your own company.)

7. iGav macrumors G3

I bought my TiBook at the start of last year, and I've just bought the new 1GHz version....... I didn't plan on upgrading till early next year, but I'm not expecting a new upgrade on the PowerBook line until May at the earliest!! So I bought now!!

Had the PowerBook hit 1GHz with a Superdrive at the start of this year I would have purchased then.......

As a general rule, I wait for the machine speeds to double before I purchase!! I went from a 266 G3, to a PowerBook G4 500 and now to a PowerBook 1GHz!!

I'm not buying a PowerMac until Apple moves to their next generation processor sometime late next year, and then I'll likely update my PowerBook when either the speed doubles, we get Dual processors or Apple do a slinky and squeeze in a next generation chip as well!!

I'm so glad I didn't scratch the buying itch though a couple of months ago, when I was sorely tempted to get a 800MHz PowerBook.... Sometimes it pays to be alittle patient!!! :)

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

my current ibook is three years old and by the time i replace it, the speed will have tripled from 300 mhz to 900 mhz...i plan to buy next year

my current pc laptop is also three years old and when i replace that, the speed will have gone up five fold from 366 mhz to around 1.8 ghz in a similar price range (i know higher end pc laptops have already reached an amazing 2.8 ghz!)

the speed thing with my laptops and the industry is a small microcosm of what is wrong with apple in the ghz war

we should be at 1.5 ghz at the very least on our laptops, but i still fancy the 1 ghz tibook over any 2.8 ghz pc laptop

now if that pc laptop had os x on it, that would be a different story

...so when is os x (marklar) coming out or is it just an r and d thing which will never see the light of day?

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I have had 3 this year alone. 4 last year, so yea, I do buy more than one per year.

;)

10. Chisholm macrumors regular

Chisholm

I buy a few dozen a year, but that's for work, not personal at home use. Well, that's a lie cuz sometimes I'll bring one home for the weekend just to savor the sweetness of a Mac in the privacy of my own home. (God I hope that doesn't sound sick!)

cheers!

11. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

I like the used market

I have a G400 transformed in to a dual 500. I bought a Pismo a year ago and 2 month ago I got another one just the same. Now I have 2 Powerbooks and the G4.

I'm doing video right now but for me it is cheaper to get more ram, another hard drive and do a network render togather with the pismos than getting a new G4.

Actually I may get a 17" flat screen and another discontinued G4 for my girl friend, she is a graphic designer.

New computers are way too much for graphic design, only video aplications still a challenge, may be that is why Apple is introducing video aplications for the average user, so they can prove there is a need for more speed.

12. Bear macrumors G3

Re: I like the used market

I use photoshop a lot, and there is a very noticable difference between an single 800MHz G4 and a Dual 1.25GHz for some of the operations.

So, depending on what one is doing in terms of graphics design, a new dual cpu system might still be worthwhile.