Who here has a Mini Cooper?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stridder44, Jul 13, 2006.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

So I've been looking around at new cars and the Mini has really been catching my eye. I love the "small engine + small body = zippy auto" kind of cars (plus they usually get good gas milage).

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Which model? Cooper or CooperS?

I have an '04 CooperS and I've gotta say, the mileage has been quite dissapointing. Street driving I get roughly 24-26 mpg, freeway is barely 30mpg.

I highly suggest you test drive them-- people are often shocked by how "sluggish" even the supercharged S feels. Don't be fooled by it's outer appearance, the MINI is a heavy car. Sigh. If only it weighed less..

But otherwise, I <3 mine. Dark silver, black top. Mm. Bonnet stripes, driving lamps. Aero kit all the way around. <3 :D

What I really wish is that in the States we could get the MINIone. That's the diesel model that used to have around 90bhp. But there are some awesome turbo kits that bump it up to more power than an S w/ a reduced pulley and it still spanks the S in the fuel efficiency department. :eek:

Here we go... link to photo in the "Picture of your car" thread... linky

3. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Either model really.

4. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

I used to drive a Cooper. Great fun to drive.

Best MINI site on the web:

www.mini2.com

5. gallagb macrumors 6502

gallagb

i looked @ um
    when i was buying
    and decieded they had zero storage room
    so i got a golf
    *(yes i know VW has their own issues)
    but- my golf can fit a full sized washer or dryer in the back

the mini just had NO room for anythin other than like a laptop in the trunk!

crazy
    i love camping & doing active things...
    put the bike in the back or on the top
    tents...gear...etc
    + friends can all fit in my car
    the mini was just 2 small for me

but- that's just me
    so think about ur lifestyle before u buy

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I've own a 2003 Cooper since new. As far as mileage is concerned, I get mid-20s around town and upper 30s on the highway. Driving style makes a lot of difference, especially with a manual transmission.

The Cooper is by no means a muscle car. You should not buy one, even an Cooper-S, for the speed. They are just a heck of lot of fun to drive. Also, unless you really like being jiggled around a lot when you drive and turn corners like a demon, then avoid the run-flat tires, which last I checked came on the 17-inch rims. Not only is the tire profile much smaller, the sidewalls on the run-flats are much stiffer, producing quite a harsh ride. I specified the 15" rims, which are plenty stiff as far as I'm concerned. The "S" also comes with a stiffer suspension, standard I believe. You can probably do without. I also greatly prefer the look of the standard Cooper, but that's strictly a matter of taste.

I would highly recommend the sport seating option. Unless Mini has changed something in the last couple of model years, the sports seats are far more comfortable than the standard seats (unless you're very wide and don't fit in them), and they don't cost much extra. Some of the other options provide good value, others not much at all.

BTW, mine is chili red and white, still the best color combination to my eye. ;)

7. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

[​IMG]

i could never get a new mini, it's just a normal car with the mini style, it's style without substance.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh, yeah... right. :rolleyes:

Haven't you heard of folding down the back seats?

Attached Files:

9. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'd love a classic... but the ones I've seen in decent shape go for around $14K, a bit steep for such an old car. ;) No way in heck could I have justified that purchase.

And IJ Reilly, you're right-- the suspension is stiff. Argh. I want to save up and get 15" wheels instead of my stock 17" wheels-- slightly better ride, better acceleration, too. The stock wheels are also incredibly heavy. (And they sort of need runflats stock since there is no spare tire :p .)

And he's right-- you can fit more... I fit a luggage filled w/ art supplies and a 3 foot by four foot painting in my MINI. Of course, there was no room for another passenger.... but you can fit stuff.

10. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

Solid Gold

I have an '03 Solid Gold Cooper. I come out of the house every morning and smile because I love it so much. I'm a loser though-I got an automatic. But it's still a fun car to drive and it's still fun to have people stop you and ask you all about it. I love it so much I even took my first trip to Europe to tour the MINI factory in Oxford, which was a cool experience, indeed. All those MINIs going down the assembly line, all those waiting owners all over the world. Magical.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I understand the sentiment, but it doesn't make any sense to compare the original Mini to the new Mini. They are similar in name only.

Attached Files:

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Only the Cooper-S lacks a spare, because of the dual exhaust. The Cooper (and the Mini One, not sold in the U.S.), have a spare tucked underneath the back of the car.

13. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

*sniff* So cruel. :p

14. medea macrumors 68030

medea

I have an '03 MINI and absolutely love it.
    Of course these aren't muscle cars, but that doesn't mean they are slow. MINI's beat the crap out of other cars, especially muscle ones, on the track. There is a huge performance MINI scene and plenty of options for upping your HP.
    As far as the spare in an S goes, no you don't need one since it has run-flats but you can easily get on and store it with a spare tire bag.
    Gas mileage depends on how you drive it. Don't accelerate too fast at keep at don't speed and you'll see gas savings, also make sure you keep your tires properly inflated and if the weather permits it turn off the a/c. You do have to use premium though, it's a performance engine and you'll notice knocking if you use the cheaper stuff.
    And I personally think the Cooper has plenty of room when you fold the seats down.

15. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

If I had to have a car I think I'd get a mini, they are so stylish, definitely the most aesthetically pleasing cars on the market, IMO.

btw, devilot, I'm calling you if any future car I have breaks down :). I had no idea you knew so much about cars! Totally cool :D.

e

16. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Haha. I'm touched you think so... but I really don't. Don't call me, I'd just turn right back around and call AAA. :p But I did learn one really really important lesson in terms of swapping out a flat-- make sure you lodge a big ol' stick or rock or something under the tire. :eek:

17. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

My family's next car may be a year or two off but I want it to be a mini S. The only problem I see is that we drive to the mountain (Mt. Hood) 15 times a year (which is 30 trips total- one up and one down), and we have always done it in a Suburu, which has AWD. I wonder if a mini could make it.

Which is why my number two wanted car is a WRX. Mainly I want my family to get a new car so that I can borrow it on occasion (think dates) but mostly so that my dad will give me his old outback. :D

18. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I had a Mini Cooper for two years and it was absolutely fantastic. It wasn't that small as long as you kept it a 2+2. Its great for 2 people but can take 4 if you need to. Fold the rear seats down and you get *loads* of space.

They're pretty pricey though, the accessories add up quickly. I was silly and got pretty much every add on. If I were to get one again I would definately get the addon packs - chilli or pepper etc. The best accessory I got was definitely the climate control, I used it *all* the time and wouldn't get one without it. The sunroof went unused. I also loved the heated seats - meant I could wait in the car in the cold without the engine on while staying warm. Girls say they feel like they've peed themselves though. Hmmm... what else...

I loved my car more than anything and was very upset to let it go. If you've got any questions have a look over at the mini2 forums. I used to be a big poster over there. Best advice for anything Mini related.

19. whocares macrumors 65816

whocares

Sweeeeeet set of wheels. :D :cool:

20. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

They sure do. Mine's pretty loaded but not by my choice-- they were in crazy hot demand and most dealerships had a cool $1-2K markup! The dealership I went to (EastBay MINI) had no markup, and this was the only dark silver S they had in stock... so I just took it w/ the options. Better than waiting 2 years which was the wait at that time.
    I also love using the heated seats... hehe, and it does feel a bit like you've peed your pants. :eek:
    I used to persuse that forum a couple of years back (before I got my MINI), but since then, it's exploded and I feel like it's such a maze... I find it difficult to find any relevant or truly helfpul information. Guess I just suck at gleaming info.

21. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I love my Cooper S. Just traded in my 04 for an 06.

22. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Are the sun visors actually functional now? I wish that the '04s had arm rests, these better cup holders... and if the new ones have 'em, functional sun visors.

I did install the little parcel shelf that comes stock on European MINIs (underneath/behind the steering column). I love having that little extra bit of storage space.

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

IMO, a Mini is a car worth ordering from the factory, and waiting. Took me six months to get mine, but it's got everything I wanted on the car, and nothing I didn't want. My sticker price came in at $18,495.00, which is what I paid (no markup). Adding options like leather seating, navigation system, and the sunroof really bumps up the price in a hurry. The "S" alone adds a couple of grand to the base price. You can get to $25 k in a hurry -- but you don't have to.

You don't need a seat warmer if you forgo the leather. That was no problem for me, since I don't like leather seats and would have paid extra to not have them. I really like the multifunction steering wheel, with the fingertip controls for the radio on the back, right where they belong! Sport seats, also money well spent IMO. The auto-dimming rear-view mirror: I've had these in the last two of my cars, and now I can't live without it. On the Mini this feature came bundled with the auto-sensing wipers. This I could live without, but they do seem to work. I also bought the optional exterior chrome package, which is also pretty inexpensive and looks nice.

So you can own a well-equipt Mini for not much dough. It's up to you.

24. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Yeah, I would say that the visors are somewhat useful. The differences between the 04 and 06 are subtle but useful, more places to store stuff, etc.

For those Mini owners, do your passengers often have a hard time trying to figure out how to exit the car? Firstly actually locating the door handle and then not figuring out you have to pull it twice? I find it very amusing.