Who Here Has NEVER Bought A PC Computer?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobber205, Apr 9, 2006.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

Nov 15, 2005
    I've seen alot of users have in their sigs that they've lately (in the last year or so) switched to macs...

So. Who here has never had to SWITCH to macs? Who knows the "horrors" ;) of the PC world only through computers that you didn'y pay for (thank god).

2. yoak macrumors 65816

Oct 4, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    I have only used PC at my parents (and through different jobs and internett cafes).

I lived with two graphic designers when I studied in London, they (luckily) got me into Macs. I went out and bought a Performa 5400, ALL black with matching keyboard and mouse. It had a TV tuner as well. I thought it was amazing
  3. iShane macrumors 6502a

Jan 7, 2006
    New York
    I myself have never boughten a PC computer. My dad has though and I used it when I was younger. Then I got smart. :)
  4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

Nov 14, 2003
    Washington, DC
    I switched to macs from my Amiga, which was preceded by a C64.
  5. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The only time there has ever been a non-apple computer in my house is when I got an old one for free that someone was going to through away. Played with it for a month and then took it to a computer recycling place.
  6. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I had an Acorn Electron then an Arcimedes then an Atari STFM.
    Then a long gap and finally a 7500/100.
  7. freeny macrumors 68020

Sep 27, 2005
    Born and raised on a Mac. Started using a Mac in 1986. I have never owned a PC nor has a PC ever been in my house.
  8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Aug 1, 2004
    The City of Culture, Englandshire
    Every computer I've ever bought has been a Mac. I did however have a ZX Spectrum when I was a nipper. :D
  9. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

Mar 21, 2004
    Toronto, ON
    The first computer for our family was an IBM Aptiva 486 DX4 100mhz with 8 MB of ram and an 80 MB HD. My first computer though was a Powermac G4 Quicksilver 733 mhz. I now have a PowerMac G5 dual 2.5 Ghz. Go Mac! :)
  10. calculus Guest

Dec 12, 2005
    Only ever used PCs at work. Been using Macs at home since 1990. Who'd want an ugly PC box in their home?
  11. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Jan 11, 2005
    Little grey, chilly island.
    Well, I'm affraid that I can make no such claim of cherishing my mac from the very beginning...

My first (as pictured) PC was a Packard Bell 75Mhz Intel Pentium running Windows 95 with 1.5 G Hard Drive...the fun! I had to reformat that thing at least 8 times a year. Oh the joy.

still, in September 2003 I switched to my Ti Powerbook, and have never looked back. For some reason, I have an uncontrollable urge to Buy An eMac, A Mac mini, An ibook and a Powermac since that date.

The wallet has since told me I cannot sustain that amount of purchasing...

Attached Files:

12. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

Apr 12, 2005
    I've only owned apple computers (about 15yrs; been using them since birth?) and use other PCs when I don't have a choice (...at school, friend's house etc). Everybody in my family own Macs.
  13. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

Dec 16, 2004
    Birmingham, AL
    Never had a PC, and unless a freak meteorite falls on 1 ? Loop, I never will.
  14. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
    No PC here.

Always a Mac family - since 1994.
  15. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    I have NEVER bought a politically correct computer.
  16. cslewis macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2004
    40º27.8''N, 75º42.8''W
    HAHA! We used to have that exact same computer!

We had all PC's until 4 years ago, when my parents bought an eMac. They also bought an iMac G5 last year.
  17. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    Raised on Apples. First an Apple IIc, then the LC II (68040) with a special math coprocessor, replaced by a Performa 6320CD during Apple's dark age of the mid-90s, this machine was booted by a 733 Mhz Rev. A PowerMac Quicksilver which the family still uses as the primary machine. I got a Rev. A 15" 1.25 Ghz Alu PowerBook. I have also got an old Ruby iMac that works as a media server/BitTorrent machine, and I recently got an old Pismo for when I need a long battery, but not much power on the go (with a high capacity battery an a decent standard battery I can get 10-15 hours of battery life).

I'm highly anticipating the intel iBook, and unless it has integrated graphics I'm very likely to get one.
  18. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    I have never purchased a Windows PC, nor have I ever had to live in a house with a Windows PC... until I got married. My wife has one to use some programs for law school. Fortunately, I will be able to avoid a similar fate provided they release the Intel iBooks before I start!
  19. vouder17 macrumors 6502a

Apr 30, 2003
    My family had an old IBM before we brought a PowerMac(one of the grey ones). Since then we have only had macs, had to use PC's in school, which reminded me why we kept using macs.....
  20. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Huh.. I have to use PCs in my business -- it's got to the point where it is cheaper to buy a new machine for $480 than it is to troubleshoot why the CD burner isn't working in a 3 year old one.

Literally -- I found two staff members spending all day trying to fix a machine -- I dropped a new HP Sempron in front of them and told them to get back to work -- they had burned up more billable time in labour than the cost of the new machine....

Welcome to the age of the disposable computer.
  21. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    I got given one. Does that count?

It was a crappy Toshiba Satellite Pro with a whopping 32MB RAM, but I could cart it round to clients with all my documentation and tools on (it was quite a bit lighter than my iMac G3). The screen went funny on it in the end, every time you moved the hinge you would lose the bottom quarter, and the battery life was down to about five minutes. By that time though the first 12" PowerBooks were out so I got one of those :)

Ugh. I've just remembered it had Windows 98 Second Edition on it. :eek: That lovely blue screen you got when a resource went unavailable PRESS ANY KEY TO CONTINUE. :eek: :eek: :eek:
  22. risc macrumors 68030

Jul 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    When you say PC do you mean Windows? I've had plenty of PCs running Linux, *BSD, etc and I can't say I've had any problems with them.
  23. Takumi macrumors regular

Dec 15, 2005
    Gunma, Japan
    First computer I ever had at home was a 'mac plus'

second was a mac LC 475

the first computer I ever bought was in 2001:
    AMD 1000
    128mb SDRAM
    GeForce2 MX
    30GB HDD
    Gigabyte Mobo etc...

was running fine up until a power surge last november, no viriuses no spyware, no add ware, etc...

now running:
    PIII 600MHz, 100Mhz FSB
    384mb SDRAM PC133
    2GB HDD (Just enough to install windows XP, but am borrowing an 80GB externald drive)
    Voodoo5 5500 dualcore craphhics card (just because it's cool)
    some rat **** mobo, with a USB2 and IEEE 1394 card

Never had any software issues as I've only ever run XP, just when powwer surges have struck

P.S: notes current complet eurgonomic nightmare, including Left hand mouse usage, right hand joystick, playing games and computing looking over the right sholder

Attached Files:

24. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says.....I have only ever owned Macs. I work all day supporting a windoze network - that's enough of that world for me.....oh yeah!
  25. Vader macrumors 65816

Oct 11, 2004
    St. Louis, MO
    Mine is the same for the bold part.
    We just got a Macintosh SE with a whoppin' 1 Mb RAM and two 800 k drives for $5 at a garage sale, my dad said it doesn't work, I have not tried it yet.