Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Never bought a PC. Mac SE was my first computer and I have never looked back. (Does the Windows laptop for work count?)

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Never bought a PC.

And since I don't really care about games much, I never plan to install Windows on an Intel Mac.

There's nothing I need to do with a computer that I cannot do on my Mac. (And do better, for that matter.)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Royal Pineapple said:
emulation my friend :D the best way to play

Link to that game? had it for my 1st PC sony top of the line(gift from my grandfather) and we upgraded to Windows 98 form 95 and lost all those cool games:D

RacerX

macrumors 65832
Aug 2, 2004
bobber205 said:
So. Who here has never had to SWITCH to macs? Who knows the "horrors" ;) of the PC world only through computers that you didn'y pay for (thank god).
Well, I've never switched away from Macs so I've never switched to Macs.

On the other hand, I think that the term PC world is a bit broad. I have never bought a new PC and no PC I've ever bought ever had Windows on it.

But I have had a number of PCs running NEXTSTEP, OPENSTEP and Rhapsody (and at time Solaris). And I own copies of Windows (from when I supported those systems from 2000 to 2002) though I've never installed any of them on my own hardware (Windows is just too risky to run on real hardware in my opinion).

Plus I've owned quite a few non-Apple computers (SGIs and Suns).

But at no point has the Mac ever not been my primary platform. And as I have abstained from using any Microsoft software since 2002, I don't see Windows anywhere in my future either.

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
I have never owned a PC and hopefully never will. I used one at at an old job and it absolutely horrified me. So much so, that I got into advertising where I never have to go near a PC. :)

Timepass

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2005
well if you all want to go by the defenition of PC then the Mac is a PC.

PC just stands for Personal computer and the Mac is a personal comptuer. Heck PPC just stand for Power Personal Computer.

Just a random little fact. By that sence the only people who have never bought a PC are those people who have never bought a computer.

amateurmacfreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2005
I used to use a Windows 98, but that was really when I used comps about 15min. a week. And I always hated that thing. :cool:
Really, otherwise, I've used Macs all my life. An ancient Mac that I used when I was 4ish, an iBook I got when I was fairly young and wanted a laptop, an eMac a few years ago, a Powerbook that I share/d with my mom, and an iMac.
I guess I've had a pretty long history of Macs for such a young age. :eek:
I've also always used Mac at school.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
bobber205 said:
I've seen alot of users have in their sigs that they've lately (in the last year or so) switched to macs...

So. Who here has never had to SWITCH to macs? Who knows the "horrors" ;) of the PC world only through computers that you didn'y pay for (thank god).

Never purchased any computer other than one from Apple.

Though I am saddled with multiple PCs at work, I still primarily do everything on Macs.

I'm a "Lifer".

ahunter3

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2003
::raises hand::

I've never owned a computer that wasn't a Macintosh.

First Mac used: 1986, Mac 512Ke

First Mac owned: 1990, used Mac SE

Haven't had to use a PC at work (at least not as my main/only computer) since 1991. Summer work-study job at school, MS-DOS, WordPerfect 4.2 (ugh). Never had to be a Windows user at work. Always supplied my own Mac.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Started with an apple IIC, then apple IIGS, then performa 6400... Then i bought a peecceee in 2001:eek: That was a mistake.... Now days i never use it (its been not used for about 3 months)... Back to using an ibook, and i love it!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Takumi said:
many users unwilingness to try new things.

I assume then you're referring to the people who have never purchased a WinTelThon? And their lives are sheltered because of this?

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
CorvusCamenarum said:
Never had a PC, and unless a freak meteorite falls on 1 ? Loop, I never will.
Disappointingly Untitled.png doesn't display properly...;)

I switched to the Mac in 2005, before that I owned a Windows PC, it needed a reinstall of windows annually but was fine otherwise, I got an iMac as the iMac was cheaper (as I wanted bluetooth/wireless) it was a great deal in hignsight though! The only problem is that it's very RAM hungry, I now have 2GB, I hope I won't need more any time soon...

Before 2001 I also used a Mac too though...

Takumi

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2005
Gunma, Japan
yellow said:
I assume then you're referring to the people who have never purchased a WinTelThon? And their lives are sheltered because of this?
That and the whole "Steve will deliver us" mentality.

takumi

Takumi

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2005
Gunma, Japan
yellow said:
And the ginormous majority of WinTelThon users that have never owned a Mac or installed Linux? Sheltered lives?

We there's that and the fact the the entire business world uses the Windows platform, and that many programs are only avaliable for windows, thus making the purcahse of a second machine just for home computng pointless.

takumi

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Takumi said:
We there's that and the fact the the entire business world uses the Windows platform

I'm thinking there are portions of the business world out there that do use operating systems other than Windows.

Takumi said:
thus making the purcahse of a second machine just for home computng pointless.

This makes no sense. What has that got to do with the business world, windows, or applications? Are you presuming that most people get a Windows laptop at work, and therefore have no need of purchasing another computer for home use?

So.. are the majority of WinTelThon users who have never used another OS sheltered or not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.