who here has their life mapped out?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Mar 3, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

..or who has kept on course with their life plan?

...or is life what happens when you're busy making other plans
    -john lennon

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

life is a journey down a road that's not always mapped...

I keep my options open and don't stress out if I'm not doing exactly what I plan :D

D

3. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better
    maybe if i could get a job i could work on my plan.....

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

I'm spending my life wandering through a hallway system like the programmer's escapes in the matrix. When ever I feel like it, I'll try opening one of the doors. However, some of the doors are welded shut, like things I won't allow my self to do, and others have huge locks, the things I can't do.

And remember... "When you come to a fork in the road [of life]. Take it." - Yogi Berra

TEG

5. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

As I've mentioned to some of you, especially jef, I definitely have my life planned out to a pretty significant degree. I'm still considering some of the different paths, but I've quite thoroughly laid out where each path would take me if I chose it.

6. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

My map just has two phrases... "one way" and "dead end"... :)

Just kiddin'...

I try not to plan too far ahead because I've found that my life is constantly changing... I want to have kids someday (and get married too!) but who knows. I thought I might be getting married next year but well... that all fell apart... but instead I'm getting to do something I really wanted instead. Not that I didn't want to get married... but I also wanted to spend some more time in Romania... so now I'm doing that. I really don't know what the future holds and... that's just fine with me.

7. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

I've come to the conclusion that you can't plan your life out. If you try to put yourself into a rigid plan, you're either going to be dissapointed, or lose out on opportunities because you're trying to stick to your plan. And hell, you could die tomorrow. I'm ambitious, and I enjoy life. I'll pick up paths and opportunities as they present themselves.

8. Cervotragik macrumors newbie

My life plan

A map is usefull to know where you are going and how to get there but if you dont know where you are it's useless. I'm trying to find where I stand first, then I might Map it out. ;)

9. AngryLawnGnome macrumors regular

It sucks coming out of high school...I have no idea what I'm gonna do or where I'm gonna go to college. Plus, I have had the problem of senioritis since sophmore year. Needless to say, it's reflected on my grades, and that makes a plan even more difficult to follow.

10. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

on some things, mostly very small things, i have followed a plan but for a whole five years, decade, or longer, life has dictated my direction

on short term projects, i ask myself three things

1) where am i
    2) where do i want to go, and
    3) how will i get there?

it's a simple but effective way to undergo short term plans that last a few days to a few years at most but for long term projects/plans, it's nearly impossible to stick to a plan or set of plans since things almost always work out differently in life, sometimes radically so

by letting go and basically living one day at a time, things are much more enjoyable

inch by inch, life's a cinch, yard by yard, life is hard

11. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I am more of the type of person that has goals with different plans of achieving those goals, but I am to be careful to not neglect to live life in pursuit of those goals.

I like to say that I have dynamic plans for the future, because even after I achieve my goals, there is always more that I want to do.

12. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

You're born, you take your knocks, then you die. Pretty much sums it up.

13. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

My life plan is relatively simple which means I can follow it.

Simply work until I'm 30, retire and move to a poorer part of the world to assist building infrastructure for clean water, plants, sewage, school's, etc.

I'm following it pretty well right now.

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I had a plan when I was a junior in high school to be an embalmer & funeral director. Continued with that plan for about 6 years, then I realized that it just wasn't meant for me. Didn't have the needed outgoing personality. Then my plan changed to be a nurse, prefer helping people. That is the goal that I followed successfully.

15. howard macrumors 68020

howard

i have a lot of my life fairly planned, basically i look at all my situations good and bad, and i do what i can to get rid of the bad ones....so that whatever ends up happening will be good, that way i keep my options open. i'm always will to change and adapt...basically i just want to be happy, and i'm doing very well at it so far.

16. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I kind of did for a while.

But I lost interest in the semiconductor industry which was my planned claim to my fortune.

Now I'm looking at computer engineering.

I do have the house I'm going to build when I'm rich mapped out though. A huge Japanese style mansion with bonsai gardens, venus fly-traps, and bamboo floors. I'm looking forward to building that. :)

scem0

17. darkblue macrumors newbie

I am a nurse, but my love of children has seen me move into the field of paediatrics. Everyday I see young people who may have a terminal illness, or fighting for their life against cancer, etc...and it inspires and motivates me constantly to pursue this goal.
    Well at least that's how it 's mapped out so far :)

18. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Education and career wise, I want to get my master's degree in choral music education, then a master's degree in ministry. Then I want to be a high school/college choir director, music minister, or youth pastor, depending on what approaches me at any given time. Being a vocal performer (like classical music or Broadway) would be fun too.

In terms of my life, I want to get married to the woman I love more than life (haven't met her yet to my knowledge) and have a family.

19. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    i have a perfect map with yearly goals, 5 year goals 10 year goals and 20 year goals with specific routes to achieve them

but i lost it, so im winging it

winging it is more fun :D

20. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

i plan to finish my degree ... other then that, i don't know what i'm doing friday night until like 9.30 ... never-mind make life plans

21. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I have no plan, but I know where I want to be. I feel like that's worth more than anything.

22. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

After the events of the past week in my life, I think planning anything other than a general trend is pointless. I guess you just can't get too comfortable. Life may be going fine one minute and then *BLAM* everything is completely messed up and you are just sitting there in the aftermath blinking like an idiot and wondering what the heck just happened.

I know you all can relate, it's like your in a boxing match and you get hit *BAM* and while you are staggering from the first blow *BAM* there is another one....now I'm just sitting here dazed wondering when the next punch will come...

23. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

before one is 30...get it out of your system

some people find a real need to jump out of their comfort zone and do something out of the ordinary, from the context of their little world, and make a statement before they turn 30

sometimes it takes somewhat longer though

i had a friend who is very, very shy who had the goal of having a girlfriend before he turned 30...for him that seemed completely unreachable and when he was 29, he did meet somebody and had a relationship for several years...before that time, all he dwelled on was how he could never meet any women...after the experience he seemed to really mature and get a more balanced perspective on life

another friend i know who is 31 and who still lives at home and never went to college felt so insulated from life and he felt he needed to make a statement...a big and expensive one...since childhood, he loved fishing boats and either built models or collected photographs...so last year, he went ten grand into debt and bought a 1928 salmon boat and restored it...he never wanted to get married or have kids, but now he compares his boat to having six children and it occupies every waking moment he has that isn't at work

another friend i know is a 33 year old musician who never got any fulfillment by finishing college, buying a house, or collecting material things...what he wanted to do was take his music farther than playing in his garage and playing a local nightclubs a few times a year in his small town...so he joined the musician's union and went to los angeles and recorded in a professional studio just so he could say he did something...now that he has a contact down there through his union membership, he can basically reocord there anytime he wants...before that point, he was always in a state of unrest and terminal adolescence

his good friend, also a musician, didn't find that lifestyle to his liking as he approached his later 20s so he left music and totally out of character for this liberal, long haired heavy metal guitarist that he was, he joined the military, around the same time he genetically lost all his hair, and became a pilot and now he flies spy planes and is very happy he did it...the air force is his life and though he only planed to be in for the shortest time allowed so he could ditch it and make real money as a private pilot, he actually is fine with spending 20 years or more in the service and make this his career

i had a friend who wanted to become an mba and business tycoon...so around age 30 he did it and started a software company that made 14 million in its first year and then failed like so many companies in high tech...he went bust but never regretted his bold journey knowing that 99 percent of mba business people will never fly the skies he did, or crash from them...he later became an accountant and consultant for high tech businesses and made a decent living and became content with that

i had a friend who wanted to come to america and get a college education here in the states...she came here in her mid 20s, learned english and enrolled in the local junior college and plugged away at it and finally recieved her associates degree...she later liked that so much she collected a bachelor's and then much later an mba degree

from a very early age, i wanted to be in graduate school and know what it was like to embark on some insane level of study and research...when i was in second or third grade, a substitute teacher came in who had a master's degree and we all thought he was this wise, old sage...though i started high school strong after having done well in junior high, i lost steam and graduated high school with a very low gpa but i got into college somehow, barely...freshman year, i did ok but then i lost steam again and barely made it through the second year and dropped out...i had no focus but i still wanted to embark on my original goal of being in graduate school...then through many twists and turns, i managed to finish my undergrad degrees and get accepted to grauduate school at age 30...for me, it was the culmination of a lifelong goal just to be able to sit in class, do homework and real research, and live and breathe that grad school experience...most of my friends, whether they went to college or not, thought my hobby was boring and basically uncool...but i liked it ;)

by far the most common big goal i have heard a lot of people mention is dating tons of people and having lots of fun before age 30...and after that get married and become an annonymous, responsible, quiet member of society... i remember hearing this 30-ish woman say how she thought that getting married before 30 was a crime...they should have fun, date, travel, and party and get it out of their system first since there was plenty of time for rent, bills, children, and adult resposibilites for the rest of one's life

24. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I don't have my life mapped out, but I have goals. The way I achive them seems to be a combination of skill, luck, planning, fate, and force of will.

I know people who've mapped out their lives, but only after most of the work to get their goals was done. Plans fail all the time, but a goal never fades from sight. Remember that, and your probably not going to give up on something you want just because it didn't go to plan.