Who here inverts the mouse?

Discussion in 'Games' started by tinydancer, Apr 21, 2005.

1. tinydancer macrumors regular

I cannot play a single game unless I invert the mouse. I get all confused and disoriented if I am not inverted. Am I more the exception or the rule?....just curious. Does anyone know why some people operate better by using one style over the other? Am I the only one fasinated by this?

2. Hydra macrumors regular

Hydra

Yep I do invert for FPS games. But currently I don't even own a mouse, not that my iBook would even be able to run any decent game even if I had one.

But yep I've always inverted and will continue on doing so.

3. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i personally cant stand invert, unless i'm playing a flying game like nanosaur 2 or crimson skies on my xbox.

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

definitely inverted

i really think once you learn it its better for your aim. All of the gamers I know who don't invert suck at aiming and all that i know who do invert are amazing players. I'm sure you could master noninvert but i don't think its nearly as good

i've had many a conversation with two of my friends who think i'm weird for using inverted... but i always destroy them when we play multiplayer

5. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Depends on the game. I'm weird like that... could be a FPS, but depending on the game I'll either be inverted or not. :rolleyes:

6. redeye be macrumors 65816

redeye be

same here, quite disturbing when i play non-inverted (FPS). I always end up running cirkels watching nothing but the ground beneath my feet.
    Some people don't understand why, i actually don't understand why, but it feels a lot nicer.
    "how do you play like that ?"
    "it just feels more real"
    "yeah, real, like up is down is up,..."
    "sigh... ok, just think of it as grabbing your persona with the back of the head, except for looking left and right, where you grab hold of his/her nose"
    "..."

:D

7. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

*giggles* while thinking dirty thoughts .... LOL

i don't know ... i find i got use to playing not inverted that i found inverting to make me worse ... i'm sure if i played long enough i would get use to it

i don't play now so really doesn't make a difference ... oh well

8. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

the inverted mouse is so key! i think it's just some people can only play one way, and inverted feels natural to me. first game i played was set to inverted and it felt right. only later did i find out that it was the weird way to do it. :rolleyes:

9. mpw Guest

Call me stupid but I’m not a gamer and no idea what you’re talking about!

Inverted mice? What do you mean? Do you turn them over and use them like a trackball!?!
    :confused:

10. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I'm always inverted. I'm a long time flight-sim fan and pulling "down" to go "up" is just a normal action for me.

So yea, after about 20 years, I'm totally lost if there isn't an inverted option. :)

11. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

Inverting the mouse is usually an option you can select in the setup menu of most games. By inverting the mouse you force the mouse to perform vertical axis movement opposite from the default setting. For example: In a FPS (1st person shooter) with mouse inverted you will look up when you pull back on the mouse, as opposed to looking down. Inverted controls are similar to default axis movement on a flight stick. Hope that makes sense.

12. benpatient macrumors 68000

maybe it's because I grew up playing flying games before there was such a thing as an FPS, but if it's not inverted, it's impossibly hard for me.

I have noticed that more console gamers DON'T invert than Do.

So maybe that's got something to do with it. I couldn't play the first Splinter Cell on xbox because it didn't have an "invert vertical axis" option, and it was next to impossible for me to aim. The PC version had an "invert" option. I think it might even have been the default.

If you think from a first person point of view, then back must[/] be up. It's true in planes, it's true in people. When you lean your head BACK, your view shifts UP.

anything else is unnatural.

I never thought about it before, but yeah, my friends who play FPSes non-inverted seem to be the ones that either a.) camp all the time or b.) get killed more than they kill.

we inverted types own.

13. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

I agree BEN,.......... "INVERTS OWN"

Only the proud can say that, but now its my Battle Cry..."Inverts Own"
    aaarrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

14. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

I play inverted too, however, i find that after a few hours of swapping, i can get used to the change, but i'd always prefer inverted over standard.

Definatly a nicer feel to it inverted though.

15. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

I don't play with my mouse inverted, but when I play a FPS on a console, its Inverted or nothing. I have no idea why. To me playing on a console not inverted feels so unnatural while a mouse feels fine.

16. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

if you dont invert. you suck. plain and simple hahaha

17. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Personally, I can't stand inverted. It's so...inverted. I probaly wouldn't mind if all the games I played auto-inverted, but I suck at a game when changing the controls includes the mouse or joystick. For whatever reason, when I started playing Halo 2, it was auto-inverted, so I got used to that. But when I beat the game, it wasn't (I probaly changed it somehow...:rolleyes: ) and it took me about a full day of playing to get used to the non-inverted joystick. And whenever I try to change the controls, I end up turning them back to default. I can't even get used to the special lefties controls, and I am a leftie. :eek:

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

It took me a bit, probably because my mind isn't as dirty as yours.

~sigh~

How did you pull a sexual reference out of that?

19. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

You can pull a sexual referance out of anything these days. Even mac mini.

20. neverever macrumors newbie

Wow im amazed at how many inverts, my bro plays inverted but i play reg.

21. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i play regular, but its been awhile for me, next time i get around to it ill try inverted to see what i think of it....

22. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I dont invert. It feels so uncomfortable if I do :D

23. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

Invert never made sense to me outside of flying simulations. I can use it well there. Anywhere else, it is just unnatural to me.

In college many of the "hard-core" gamers were so "elitist" about using an inverse mouse for FPS. A couple guys on my floor were on national teams. They were definite advocates of the inverse mouse and they tried to convert me. It really bothered me to my core and I eventually gave up that endeavor. Normally they would take the opportunity to make fun of me for this except for the fact that I would school them in ANY game when I used the setup most comfortable to me (non-inverse with customized movement settings). They were still brats about it to everyone else though.

On a related note, these hardcore gamers were champions of Wintel who at first took jabs at me for being the sole Mac person on the floor.... until, well, I started kicking their booties using my B&W G3.

Interesting facts:

I actually played/gamed very little and studied like I was supposed to.

They “trained” all day, skipped class to “train”, slept when not “training”, and flunked out.

Moral of story: Play all you want to as long as you GET YOUR ASS TO CLASS (and study if needed).

24. Orlando Furioso macrumors 6502

Orlando Furioso

There's slots to think about

Mac mini?

Someone must have sanitized my brain with industrial strength nitrogen chlorides when I was unawares because I'm not getting anything here.

I can’t think of anything except for the slot. But having a slot does not make the mini a slot. A slot IS a slot however. Does being sold inexpensively to the masses make this slot any more of a slot because it is a Mac mini slot? Technically, it is a regular slot. It can be easily mistaken for the more upscale slots in hi-end Powerbooks. Same slot, different clothing.