who here likes amd?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by jefhatfield, Feb 14, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i have to admit, i don't like intel and i was happy when amd came out with the athlon xp 3000+ desktop processor and the mobile athlon xp 2200+ processor..intel has the 3.06 ghz desktop processor and the mobile 2.4 ghz processor so they are still slightly ahead in speed..on paper, that is

amd does not help apple but they do compete against intel which makes me happy

i used to hate microsoft, but flight simulator is great and office for mac is nice, but i still prefer appleworks

i once hated microsoft internet explorer but now it's all i use and when i get a newer mac, i may try safari
  2. 3777 macrumors 6502

Jul 25, 2002
    I only buy AMD based PC's. I like Explorer for Windows XP Pro, but for Mac it's too slow. Try Chimera & Safari, both great browsers for Mac.
  3. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    I think that Intel and AMD both have their stong points, Intel has a lot of ca$h to throw at their R&D budget so they can regularly come out with new chips without delaying them for months at a time while AMD tries to innovate and keep the consumer happy by keeping prices low but it's killing their business, but I don't think they're going anywhere anytime soon, they've been declared dead just about as many times as Apple, it's like the rumor that'll never die.
  4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    both ceo's are famous snakeoil salesmen of the short term variety so wallstreet does have a point

the dot.com revolution had its naysayers from as early as the mid-90s, but the fall took some time to materialize...but all the dangerous factors were there

and with a post-1999 apple with steve jobs as full time ceo, the company has showed some weakness and lack of judgement...pricing the cube too high, shaky os x development, the dalmation and flower power imacs, sticking with motorola, a slew of bad commercials, and slow innovation

i liked apple when sj came on board in late-96 up through the imac, ibook, and introduction of the G4 towers...after that, the momentum was lost and then the dot.com thing fell apart in silicon valley around the same time and apple's stock went from 130 to 14 dollars a share

before sj in 1996, apple went up and down and gave wallstreet some reason to worry, but not as much as the apple of the last two and a half years

we have to get better prices and faster machines...not for techies like me who know better, but for the average pc user who thinks of switching but does not like the "slow" speed and "high" prices of apple
  5. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    I have used AMD CPU's exclusively in my PC's. (When I can) Just because I don't like Monopolies and the Chips are cheap and VERY fast. I haven't had any trouble with AMD stuff.
  6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

Apr 12, 2002
    AMD is fine. My PC is based on an AMD chip and in some things, it whips my G4. In other things, the G4 reigns.
  7. ibookin' macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    My PC is based on an Athlon XP 1700+. Intel is too expensive and the chips were slower than AMD when i bought the Athlon. My PC totally whips my iBook in sheer speed.

Any OS on the PC won't even touch OS X, though.

Guess which computer I prefer...:D
  8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    my retired, but still working pc desktop, has an intel pentium 1/150 and my pc laptop, which i still use, has a 366 mhz amd k6-2, and it seems relatively fast

not as good as the pentium 3 laptops of the same period, but hundreds cheaper in the same model
  9. demonx macrumors regular

Oct 20, 2002
    Athlon are very good chips, especially for the budget gamer or home users. I have built a vary nice system around them, as you can see listed below. Took a bit of work to get it "silent" just because Athlon processors run so hot.

For a bunisess user in a large scale enviorment, I usually steer them toward Intel though, because of the no hassle cross shipments and warranty;)

Lian-Li PC-60 Blackwith Clear Side
    AthlonXP 2100+
    512MB Corsair Cas2 Ram
    Radeon 9500 Pro
    Soyo KT33 Dragon Ultra Plantinum
    3 80GB 8MB Cache WD HD
    Lite-ON DVD
    Lite-On 48X CD-RW
    Sound Blaster Audigy 2
    Zalman Whisper CPU COoler
  10. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    You all know amd and AMD are different right? :cool:

AMD the company is fine, whatever keeps Intel away for a little bit longer is a friend of mine.

If I built a x86 system it would be with a AMD. Better pricing. Better support I have heard and in many time much better overclocking. :D
  11. Vlade macrumors 6502a

Feb 2, 2003
    Meadville, PA
    The way I see it is that AMD competes with intel, therefore intel needs to make faster chips so they can always be the fastest/best. If AMD didn't exist intel wouldn't need to speed up chips as much, meaning apple is closer to PCs speeds. In my opinion it would help apple if AMD goes under.
  12. Rajj macrumors 6502a

May 29, 2002
    32° 44' N 117° 10' W
    AMD go under???
    Are you on Meth? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Anyways, all of the P.C.’s I have built, (including mines) are AMD only!!
    I have nothing against Intel (besides the price), but AMD is a better produced semiconductor if you ask me!!
  13. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    i've been using this AMD Duron for two years now. it had a great price when i bought it and i know of an easy way to overclock it if i wanted to. pretty much any new Mac would be faster though.

and just to show off some system specs, here's my two systems ;)

Read my sig

--Laptop (IBM Thinkpad 755CE)--
    Microshaft Winblows 95b
    Intel 486 DX4 100 MHz
    24MB Ram
    16-bit color 640x480 color LCD display
    4x SCSI CDROM (in docking station)

its a good laptop. but the battery is dead and i dont have an AC cord for the laptop, just the docking station. so the laptop sits on its docking station non-stop. i hope to get an AC cord for it soon because i want to take it somewhere without its huge docking station.
  14. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    is that a 1995 or 1996 era laptop?

you might want to look into the radio shack universal laptop ac power supply

that's what i got for my 1998 era compaq laptop since compaq/hp did not have it anymore
  15. Independence macrumors regular

Jan 14, 2003
    United States
    1994 era. thats the copyright date on the bottom anyway.

there's a radio shack in this town. i'll take a look around sometime.
  16. macphoria macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2002
    Go AMD!

AMD is in similar position as Intel in a sense that they make better product than Intel (so I hear) yet Intel takes bigger chunk of the cake because of their clockspeed, marketing, etc etc etc.

If Apple's future plans with PowerPC does not work out, I really hope Apple gets together with AMD and cook up something great.
  17. yzedf macrumors 65816

Nov 1, 2002
    company is fine

too bad the procs run so hot :(

nowadays, for a desktop PC i just build a Duron based system. all most people need for office/IE/solitaire...
  18. macphoria macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2002
    Yea, I've seen one of those things opened up. The heat sinks are gigantic!
  19. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i have an amd k6-2 in my laptop, not the k6-2+ which is cooler, but the superhot predecessor, the k6-2

built on .28 micron technology, this thing could cook eggs on mars and is the hottest chip since either the 486sx or 486dx....i get those two mixed up...but you get the idea;)