Who here thinks the ibooks feels cheap???

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by taeclee99, Jul 27, 2005.

1. taeclee99 macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Im not trying to bash the iBook or anything but I think that the ibook's g4 plastic palm rest feels cheap compared to the palm rest of the previous iBook g3 models. Why did apple change the palmrest to the cheaper plastic material anyway? I for one will be buying a powerbook 12 inch instead. It feels a lot more solid and less like a toy like the iBook does.

2. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

I agree 100%

It's definitely solid but it scratches easily and looks terrible. The glossy white motif was kind of trendy in 2001, but definitely not anymore. It would look so much cooler if it were gloss black, but I can't imagine a black iBook.

3. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

Black iBook would be so choice. You know what they say, once you go black...

4. MacHarne macrumors 6502

I notice almost no difference in the sturdiness of my father's iBook G4 and my old G3. Any difference I do tell is probably me trying to hard to notice something.
    I will have to disagree here. The minimalistic white look is a staple of Apple's brand image. When walking around a BestBuy (during their original Apple sales pilot, something a year or two ago), the Macs that stood out from the Wintel boxes were the white ones. They are bold and noticable in their special way. The Power series look classy, but tend to blend in with the typical PC box.

It may be years before Apple abandons the minimalistic white look. And frankly, I really prefer that over the aluminum; that white plastic stuff is quite near bulletproof, granted it does leave those awful surface marks at times.

5. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

strange, the white look of the ibook almost made me buy one over my PB. they definately do not look cheap. they still look trendy, sporty, modern. like the ipods.
    please no black! or at least keep white and black.

and it also doesn't feel cheap. a dell feels cheap. we have them at work.

my two cents.

6. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I don't like how the iBook's palm rest is either. It takes a lot of using it to get used to.

OR, a really old/well used iBook that's smoothed on the palm rests.. I like. :)
    Brand spankin' new ones? Ehh.. needs to be worn in like a pair of jeans. I like having the right side of the space bar smooth from so much use. :)

7. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

I say apple should just bring back the white glossy palm rest for the next iBook revision. If they do that, I will definately buy one over the powerbook.

8. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

I quite like the new palm rests. I'm not sure it's cheaper is it - just more matt and toned down than the old g3s. Your post outlines what Apple probably hopes happens on a lot of cases as well - deciding to step up from the consumer iBook to the more professional looking powerbook and parting with more money :).

9. macrumors12345 macrumors 6502

Well, that's not going to encourage them to bring it back! :)

10. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i did go back....

i painted my ibook black from the inside and dident look right, the contrast of the silvery inside just looks wrong, it looks cool when it's closed from the top and bottom, but thats about it

11. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

You could always just buy a Colorware if you wanted a different colour;

Although it won't help with the palmrest :).

12. taeclee99 thread starter macrumors 6502a

taeclee99

here's an example of what happens if you do go black:

Attached Files:

13. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

First of all- they are cheap! :D

I know, they are "inexpensive", but if they look too good many will opt for the iBook over the Pwrbook.

anyway, I think the black looks cheaper.

I like th white, but if it does scratch easily then I would change. Nothing is worse than a piece of electronics with scratches. My brother in-law's iPod looks horrible as it is all scratched up on the shiny side. They should go with the stainless look on iPods maybe? But that is for another thread.

14. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

15. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

16. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

I use to have an iBook, and it did scratch a lot, just like the back of my iPod does.

I wish Apple would put a scratch resistant surface on both this and the iPod.

17. law guy macrumors 6502a

law guy

Ahh. ... Sorry, thought that was an old Dell Latitude for a second. The black - contrary to what I would expect (i.e. a sliming effect) - seems to make the iBook look a little chunky.

A gloss black notebook seems to require a bottle of windex as a constant companion from what I've read of Toshiba's gloss black media laptop. I favor the matte none-more-black design of the wallstreet era PBs over the gloss look I suppose.

18. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I used a Blueberry Clamshell iBook for a few years, I used an 800 MHz G3 Snow iBook for a year, and I've had my iBook G4 for nine months, and I can tell you that the G4 iBooks are much more structurally solid that the G3 Snow iBooks. That being said, the Clamshells will outlast the G4's any day in a toughness competition. The G3 iBooks seem to flex when you pick them up, and the bezels creaked and were never quite lined up snug where they were supposed to be. The plastic on the palmrests was much more flexible and "cheap" feeling that the G4's are, and the G3's often had problems with cracks forming in the palmrests and the corners of the bezels. The G4's are much more snug and solid-feeling. When I'm referring to the G3 iBooks, I'm only meaning the later ones with the grayish plastic palmrests. I can't speak for the earlier ones with the silvery palmrests, because I never owned one. The Clamshells are by far the toughest, though. They were engineered so that every part fit actually snapped together with significant force. They used fewer screws because of their odd shape and the way the plastic fit together.

19. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

I also completely agree. I had an iBook, but I too thought it felt cheap, and just couldn't get over it, I upgraded to a 15' PB and love it. Not to bash the iBook though, it's an awesome machine!

20. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

you need a wheelchair :D

21. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

If they went black they'd need a new form factor; my all time favorite laptop from a looks perspective was the Pismo G3, but as the colorware pics demonstrate black doesn't work nearly as well with the iBook.

22. AcousticDoc macrumors regular

I would love a pink ibook...wouldn't it be kewl if they had matching ibook colors for the ipod minis?

23. bluemouse macrumors member

Cheap? Hmm, I'm typing this from a friend's Compaq. Now THIS thing feels cheap! Squeaky, chintzy plastic everywhere, all black and grey. Hell, the screen wobbles when I type. That's cheap. I'll agree, I can tell the difference between my Powerbook and an iBook at the Apple store, but I can also tell a world of difference between that iBook and this Windows POS. It's okay for me to talk about her computer this way: she agrees, and is switching to an iBook very soon. :D

24. barneygumble macrumors 6502a

dude, that aint right :D

or at least a donut cushion

25. zflauaus macrumors 65816

You know what looks really cheap? The last generation Dells as featured:
    :D

Attached Files: