who here uses the DVORAK keyboard?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cb911, Jul 9, 2002.

?

DVORAK - which category do you fit in?

Poll closed Aug 18, 2002.
  1. learning it now

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. want to learn it

3 vote(s)
    21.4%
  3. learnt it and use it all the time

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  4. learnt it and didn't like it

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. not interested in DVORAK/ never heard of it

6 vote(s)
    42.9%
  1. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i just read a comic from 'the joy of tech' about the DVORAK keyboard. that got me interested and i read up a bit about it and now i'm going to learn it.

i was just wondering if anyone here has learn't the DVORAK keyboard?
    what did you think about it? are you still using it? any comments about DVORAK?

2. Solipsys macrumors member

Two Dvoraks

Now I know why you were confused by my other post :)

The Dvorak keyboard might actually be a better layout for keyboards (I've never tried it), but if you got hooked on it you'd never be able to use another computer that uses the standard QWERTY! The Dvorak system was invented in the 1920s so it's had plenty of time to catch on... but it didn't.

3. pc_convert? macrumors regular

I've been learning Dvorak for a week now. I tried learning QWERTY but it felt really cumbersome so I tried Dvorak and I'm I find it really easy.

My speed is coming along nicely, and my fingers and wrists feel fine, I'd recommend Dvorak to anyone wanting to learn to touch type.

4. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Nipsy

I think I may buy another kybd and pop all the keys, and lay it out as Dvorak.

There was a link to an article here when we were all bitching about the other Dvorak's article, which talked about the key map, and it does look interesting.

I have heard from a few people that it is easy to switch back and forth.

5. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

here's a link to some lessons if you want to learn DVORAK. http://www.karelia.com/abcd/

and here's a link to a really interesting page about DVORAK.
    the guy that wrote it says that he uses a QWERTY keyboard about 50% of the time and the DVORAK the rest of the time. he says that he switches in between with no trouble.http://web.mit.edu/jcb/www/Dvorak/

i also read that you can learn DVORAK in about 52 hours and have a speed of 90 words per minute. i should have the hang of it in no time.:D

6. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

Blech!

:eek: I have used it and it is not very hard to learn, but it is just plain ugly to look at. The ",<,>, and ; on the left side make it a bit wierd when working. Put all the symbols like that on one side like QWERTY keyboards do and maybe it would be acceptable, but I'll be sticking with a QWERTY 'board. :cool:

7. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

i'm using it on PwoerBook but it causes confusion when i have to use qwerty at work. i ma y switch back since i don't do too much typing anyway. but, i do think it's way better, if you are a heavy typist.

8. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the QWERTY layout developed to space the strikes of a typewriter out enough so they were less likely to jam? I heard that somewhere, not sure if it's correct or not. That being said, I learned all of my typewriting on a QWERTY keyboard and with 95% accuracy at 90-100 WPM, I really have no motivation of learning DVORAK. Is there truly that much of an advantage over the other?

9. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

you are right. prior to electronic-aided typing machines QWERTY was the only arrangement that would prevent the arms from jamming. Dvorak was developed years later after tons of research and is designed around everything from the most commonly used letters to the way the muscles work in the human hand. it's much better for you physically, and once learned, can be much faster. Dvorak is the doctor's name who invented it. After his research it was actually supposed to become the set standard but the World War broke out and so they just never were able to design the new machines. A little history for you.

10. cb911 thread starter macrumors 601

cb911

i got this from a site about DVORAK:

'Contrary to popular opinion, the qwerty design was not actually invented to slow typists down. Rather, the layout was intended to place common two-letter combinations on opposite sides of the keyboard.'

heres the link. it's a really intersting page. http://web.mit.edu/jcb/www/Dvorak/

i have known touch typing for the QWERTY keyboard for about 7 months and i am finding it very cumbersome. i'm sure i'd get bettter with practice, but i don't like the awkward way you have to bend your fingers to reach some keys.

and as for the actual keyboard layout looking bad, is that really a good enough reason to not use it? anyway, after i do my little "matrix mod" to my keyboard i won't have any letters on the alphabet keys, at least not any english letters. and i'm sure i won't have any problems switching between the two if i have to.