Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Maybe we can share our levels, the game doesn't really have any good tool to discover other than the already aggregated ones.
I was instantly hooked and forgot all about time and suddenly it was 3 AM, the night before a working day :p

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Came here with the same idea. Had good fun with some levels but it's a hit and miss.

Here's my first one, couldn't resist... "lakitu on fire" - EA0D-0000-002F-83D4

Not too serious but got quite addicted while trying it out myself, lol. It's part one, for part two I need more tools (connectable pipes).

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Came here with the same idea. Had good fun with some levels but it's a hit and miss.

Here's my first one, couldn't resist... "lakitu on fire" - EA0D-0000-002F-83D4

Not too serious but got quite addicted while trying it out myself, lol. It's part one, for part two I need more tools (connectable pipes).

Haha, I tried your level, crazy dodging of Lakitus and then I just plowed through that fire flower floor and all of a sudden, to my surprise, I had reached the goal. Nice work.

I've made two levels so far. The first one was made with the initial items: D36D-0000-0018-DC53. Reaching the goal is one thing but I have also placed exactly 100 coins and the challenge is to collect them all.

The second was made with the first item unlock: 8C7D-0000-0031-24E5. It was more of an experiment (and an unsuccessful attempt at triggering the next item unlock). It also has secrets which gives more coins and extra lives.
It's too bad there isn't a way to set up achievements for a level, coins and extra lives are more or less pointless now.

By the way, how does the unlocking work? I know you were supposed to unlock stuff once a day but a patch was supposed to make it more frequent, but I haven't even been able to unlock every day. Started playing on Thursday, nothing unlocked on Friday, got the first unlock on Saturday. Have been playing for about five hours now on Sunday and no unlock yet.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Thanks Lennholm :)

I honestly believe my platforming skills improved by ~100% the last two days! :D Great stuff! I love how they added some minor graphical gimmicks to SMB and SMB 3.

Have to try yours tomorrow - need to catch a break now! And about the 100coins challenge: I like that. I want to make one 'suave' level, rather atmospheric, with some nice platforming stuff and a semi-challenging way to complete it but also a much more diverse and tricky one to collect 100coins.

Unlocks: no clue.

We should star each others creation by the way (if liked of course). I figure it's pretty hard out there to receive stars for certain types of levels and with ten stars one can upload more than the initial ten courses.

SoraXSky

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2014
Daphne, AL
I'll check all of yours out. I just posted my 2nd Stay Still! stage. Took about a day with much restarts and trial and error. Please try it and star if you liked it!

5EB6-0000-0033-3E9C

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Not interested in auto-levels - they're probably great fun to make but...yawn. ;) I'll give it a try this afternoon though.

re: unlocks
Note: Originally, Nintendo opted to have players only unlock new items once a day, but as of Patch 1.0.1, this appears to have been changed. Now players can unlock the next set of tools sooner by continuing to create levels for another 3 or so minutes - you must place each new item at least ONCE to trigger the early shipment.

shouldn't have been so restrictive with my design...

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
How is this game?

Who wants to just sit around designing levels?

Are there any to just play out-of-the-box?

Thanks...
Oh it's nothing like Little Big Planet or other interesting, but slow+boring level makers. Mario Maker is fast. Really loving it. Girlfriend's playing it right now making trick levels for me to get around, heh. I'm taking breaks whilst building a real horror show of a level. I'll upload the code once it's done :)

But yeah. I play it! But I'm happy playing other peoples creations whilst chipping away on my own designs for now.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I watched a bunch of twitch streams of this game over the weekend. Hilarious watching people try and conquer those super crazy hard levels people have put together.

While I'm tempted to pick up this game, I'm not a big Mario platformer guy. I get enthused, play a game, get stuck on a level, put the game down, and never play again. This seems even harder than anything Nintendo has published with some of the levels folks are putting together. Though I must admit, the social aspects of this game are really cool, I'm sure this game will do well.

Maybe I'll pop in my copy of Wii U Super Mario and Luigi that came with my system, and see if can get excited for Mario again...

Have fun guys!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Lennholm, you crazy ***** *****!!!! :D I dumped like 40 lifes into your creations only to reach the fifth screen or so. My level must have been a cake walk for you..I'm definitely not up for permanent pixel-perfect tasks like that, lol. Frustration level too low for that too... but still nice designs from what I saw.

* crazy Mario Maker

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Lennholm, you crazy ***** *****!!!! :D I dumped like 40 lifes into your creations only to reach the fifth screen or so. My level must have been a cake walk for you..I'm definitely not up for permanent pixel-perfect tasks like that, lol. Frustration level too low for that too... but still nice designs from what I saw.

* crazy Mario Maker

Haha, and I've actually been thinking about how I could tweak the levels so that the optional stuff that gives coins and extra lives becomes obligatory.
I didn't set out to create difficult levels but I guess as I work on and get used to them I can't help but throw in more stuff to keep it challenging to myself. And yeah, they're still challenging to me even though I know the perfect strategy for them by now.
Thanks!

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Alright - some more refined courses, check em out if you like (comments appreciated!):

Moon 1-1 - 7148 0000 051 CB8D
Doing a Moon World, this is 1-1. Entering the space ship and arrival on the moon. Each level will get a little boss fight, so
be prepared! :D

Composition in Black / 3x1Up - BE09 0000 0055 F6D2
A wee bit challenging (but if still way too easy, try finding those 3x1Ups! looking at you @Lennholm ;))

Things I dearly miss (more assets and themes (woods!!) not included):
Being able to create a set of uploaded courses with a fixed order. That way a world could be created + a "world-map" from the 10 Mario Challenges (preferable with the possibility to tint it in different colors).

A way to easily tag a course I've played, but didn't finish. There are really cool one's, but quite demanding. I don't mind dying but I'd like to be able to tag it so I can try finishing it another time again. Maybe I missed that function though.

I see why that's not possible, but it's a bit annoying that I can't do (minor) changes to already uploaded levels. I wouldn't mind if that (stupid) star system wouldn't mean altering a course would cancel out all stars given. Since one needs stars to be (potentially) able to upload more courses this gets in the way. Maybe not a problem for some, but in case you don't youtube, twitch or heavily promote your stuff otherwise, stars are hard to come by (let alone the sheer amount of courses available, so it's not like thousands upon thousands of people play your stuff).

Anyway, phenomenal game!

Last edited:

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
A Sky Adventure - 4FAC-0000-004D-45CA
Back and Forth - 2093-0000-003F-D41C
Bowser's Browser - B918-0000-0028-F2B3 (Named for the insults my friends would throw at Bowser when playing Mario Kart... mainly that he was Internet Explorer)
Climb!? - E773-0000-0027-64BB (And early SMB experiment)
Please Question Authority - 44CA-0000-001C-A992
Piranas!? Why did if have to be? - 9946-0000-001C-2584
Omega Man - 20DD-0000-001C-0A03
The Maze de TEG - 4834-0000-0040-7D78 (This one is just an experiment with doors)

Many of these will likely be replaced, as I have all the tools now. In fact "A Sky Adventure" has an entire sub level that was added once I could use pipes, so try it out.

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
I didn't want to be left out of all the fun, so picked up a copy. :)

I played all your guys levels. Twietee and Lenholm, the first levels you posted are INSANE! I need some more time and many many more Marios to try and beat those suckers. Cool auto-level SoraXsky, I bet that took forever to build!
TEG, I really dig your levels, as these are more my skill level and style.

I up'd my first level. I was limited to base and first delivery truck items. I hope you all like it.

Lakitu's Revenge: 202E-0000-005A-7929

I don't know if you guys know, but we can add each other as 'favorites' by clicking on the user name after accessing a level and clicking on the 'heart' in upper right corner. I've added you guys as favorites, and I will Star your levels once (if) I clear them.

Have fun!

davidbow1e

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
Hey Guys!

Been spending the past few days perfecting and making sure my courses were just full of tricks and easter eggs for all you to enjoy.

Koopa Rules!!!

109E-0000-0035-99B7

Very straightforward kind of map, ship level to bowser dungeon. My 1st level.

Donut Plains Prison Ghosthouse

D947-0000-0040-D8FA

This one is where I started really playing around with the environment. Ghost house with underground sub level. See if you can find the secret Prison yard!!!!

Halloween Horror Ghost House

DE3C-0000-004E-0929

Now this is my most recent one, complete with a lot of sound effects, creepy vibe, perfect for halloween. Complete with a frustrating maze and 2 Bosses!

:)

mandoman

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2005
Alright - some more refined courses, check em out if you like (comments appreciated!):
A way to easily tag a course I've played, but didn't finish. There are really cool one's, but quite demanding. I don't mind dying but I'd like to be able to tag it so I can try finishing it another time again. Maybe I missed that function though.

I already mentioned, but closest feature to tag 'favorites' is by clicking on the user name after accessing a level and clicking on the 'heart' in upper right corner to 'follow' the level maker. Than you can access the level again quickly from the 'makers' section.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Also, don't know about you guys, but I started to tone down on the difficulty of my courses. Or, since they still should be or have to be played concentrated, I try to set up multiple paths along the way, sort of secret areas, I put in quite some time and thought I can finish them regularily but think others
I already mentioned, but closest feature to tag 'favorites' is by clicking on the user name after accessing a level and clicking on the 'heart' in upper right corner to 'follow' the level maker. Than you can access the level again quickly from the 'makers' section.

alright, will keep it in mind. Thanks mate.

still haven't played most of your courses - will do so tomorrow! Been building stuff most of the time or unlocking skins. Made Moon 2-1, Mario has landed. No Boss fight this time though :D. Also a more canonical style kind of level: Sunken Treasure. Toned down the difficulty in general a bit.

Moon 1-2 - 549A 0000 005C D693
Sunken Treasure - 9F9D 0000 005D 51B9

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
I wish they had released a 3DS version of this game like they did with Smash Bros., I'd never be able to put down an essentially never-ending Mario game.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.