Who is buying an iPod for friend/relative as XMas gift?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Frisco, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Frisco macrumors 68020

I know iPods are selling like hot cakes this Holiday Season.

I just bought my brother a 10 Gig iPod and am getting my friend a 20 Gig for XMas.

I have a 15 Gig and can't think of a better gift.

Now if only I had a girlfriend to spoil for Xmas that would make 3 iPods.

Here's to Apple and the iPod!

PS: They are both PC users :(
    But am hoping to convert both to Mac :)

Question: They both have 3 Year old Dell Desktops without USB2 and FireWire. Should they get a FireWire or USB2 card?

2. lmann macrumors member

Having trouble finding out how to spend your money ? how much money are you planning to spend on christmas gifts ??? :D

3. ksz macrumors 68000

I took advantage of the post-Thanksgiving event at Apple stores and purchased three 30GB iPods ($377 each with 10% discount) for family and future brother-in-law. Thank goodness for 0% interest credit cards. :D

4. lmann macrumors member

5. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

USB2 or Firewire?

From what I've seen, USB2 and Firewire cards are about the same price (within the individual manufacturers, and discounting the ultra cheap USB2.0 cards on special for less than $10) between $20 and $40 depending on brand preference.

I would probably recommend getting the firewire card unless you've already bought the optional USB2 cable. (correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this is included in that small box?)

6. ksz macrumors 68000

For a desktop connection, I'd also recommend FireWire which will charge the iPod battery at the same time. Even better, get a combo USB2/FireWire card; prices are dropping.

7. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

I hope I'm the recipient of a 10GB iPod. I've been tooling around with a Samsung Yepp W/64MB for the past two years. ;)

8. KershMan macrumors 6502

I've bought my wife a 10GB (during the sell after Turkey Day). She is going to be quite surprised. She's been expecting to get my first gen 5GB as a hand-me-down someday.

9. howard macrumors 68020

howard

my bro is getting one from my dad.

they're to expensive for me or i'd get my gf one