Who is excited about the Da Vinci Code movie?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by princealfie, Apr 12, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I don't care for the book much but the movie trailer looks really good! :rolleyes:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Me, 'cept for the fact it has Tom Hanks in it. I really can't stand him, nor his accent/voice. He's just not the right actor for the job IMO.

3. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

UKnjb

Not me - haven't even read the book. However, I AM excited that Audrey Tautou is in it. I hope that Tom Hanks keeps his hands off her. :)

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I am excited. I was just given some passes to the movie theater and I already know when I'm gonna use them. ;)

I feel the same way, but I'm sure the movie will still be good.

5. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

It was written specifically for Harrison Ford, but he turned it down. I'd agree Hanks isn't the perfect pick for the role. However, what is wrong with accent? I shutter to think if you ever heard me speak :p

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Ha. :D

I guess it's more his voice and tone rather than accent per se. I find it a bit nasal for my liking. It just really grates. :(

7. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I agree with Tom Hanks not being right for the job. I've never really liked him either. I think the movie will be pretty good still. I'll be amazed if they manage to screw it up - the books as good a screenplay so there shouldn't be too much deviation.

8. LACOSTE macrumors member

LACOSTE

yeah i agree.... why Tom Hanks?

Anyways, i think the book is pretty solid... well written and great imagery. I hope the movie is just as captivating as the book when i first read it. Da Vinci code is by far the strongest out of the four books Dan has written.

I'm reluctant about Ron Howard directing it... the book is very arts/history driven. I would have loved to see Ang Lee or Peter jackson had the first jab at it. Ron Howards action movies... im not a such a big fan of. With him its either an overreliance on dialogue, or special effects.

9. achie25 macrumors 6502

I am looking forward to it. I hope they stay clsoe to the book. I hate it when you read the book and then find a lot of differences in the movie.

10. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Trust me, they won't wander too far from the book - it was written to be a movie if you ask me. The historical exposition is the one thing that could pose a problem. It'll be interesting to see how Ron Howard deals with it.

11. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    Ron Howard ...?

Ummmm ... pass.

Ignoring the failings of the book as well, this thing is just fuff. Sorry.

I'm not entirely sure the respective dirctors of 'Hulk' and 'Meet the Feebles' could have added more than the buffon they already hired to sit at the helm.

12. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Didn't like the book so have no inkling to see the movie no matter how good the trailers look.

Both of the Dan Brown books I've read (the other being the precursor to DaVinci) are basically the same in format/storyline, extremely predictable, and a huge waste of time. I already wasted several hours reading the blasted stories. I'm not about to waste a couple more to see the movie.

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

My only reason for even considering the movie is for the moments when my netflix 3 are shipping, everything else on TV is showing The O.C.and its many teen drama variants and QVC is selling quilts. Otherwise, I wouldn't be interested.

That being said, I may watch it eventually just to see what the but hullabaloo is all about, how they pull off a pg-13 with the "ceremony" (they won't make enough if they pull an r), and how bad an actor tom hanks has become. I used to think he was excellent - I love SPR and have enjoyed many others. I even liked Castaway once he got on the island (too much early build up, which was essential but badly written/acted).

14. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I might see, simply because I don't have the time to read the book.

:)

(and, I rather like Tom Hanks)

15. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Considering how bad the book was, the movie should be an improvement.

16. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

I am because I worked on it ;) I want to know that all my efforts were worth it!

17. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Did you get to meet Audrey Tautou?? :eek: She's the reason I want to see the movie! I <3 her.

18. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Awesome! What exactly did you do?

19. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I don't care for the movie but i will see it because i see all movies that come out...thats the life of being in the biz.

Bless

20. Lunja macrumors 6502

Lunja

I can't say too much, but I worked as a runner on one of the sets in England. I saw Audrey Tatou, but only briefly, as well as Hanks, Sir McKellan and Jean Reno, who was the friendliest of the lot. I spoke to Ron Howard at one point (I didn't recognise him lol!)

Btw, was good to see a lot of Macs being used by the crew :)

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

have fun seeing it all of you sinners! and enjoy the after party... in hell!

22. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

I haven't read the book, mainly because of the industry that has grown up around it. Yeah, that's as stupid as those who hate the iPod "because everyone else has one", but I haven't read any critics who actually like Dan Brown's writing style.

I do have a weakness for the kind of plot involving an alternative history that dovetails seamlessly into our own, but anything like this has to stand up against Umberto Eco's "Foucault's Pendulum" or Neal Stephenson's "Cryptonomicon" and "Quicksilver". If anyone tells me "The Da Vinci Code" is as fascinating as any of them, I'll read it and go to the movie.

Hell, I might just read it anyway so I'll know if it's crap or not.

23. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

Yeah, when I read it, I enjoyed it but in a "cheap thrill" kind of way. The plot was terribly predictable and similar to Angels and Demons, and the writing style was pretty average but I found most of the historical (whether it's real or not) info compelling enough to keep reading.

24. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I didn't realize he is in this movie...I may just see it then. I've been a fan of his ever since Leon.

25. sunfast macrumors 68020

sunfast

I am embarassed to say that I read it in the end and quite enjoyed it :eek:

It's a good book to read on the tube home with your brain in neutral. So I'm actually quite looking forward to the film.