Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I am.

1. The scuffing does not look bad at all unless you really abuse it.
2. The beauty of the black phone outweighs the scuffing issue.
3. I do not care about resale value.
4. I will use a case most of the time.
5. I buy things to use them, not obsess about them.
6. There's a reason the term "normal wear and tear" exists. It happens to everything.
7. White just doesn't have the same wow factor to me.

:apple:

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
These are all personal reasons why you don't care about your phone getting chipped paint from being in your pocket :rolleyes:

I care about resale value. You don't. End thread.

Hippyshakes

macrumors member
I am.

1. The scuffing does not look back at all unless you really abuse it.
6. There's a reason the term "normal wear and tear" exists. It happens to everything.

*Raises hand like a preschooler with a burning need to pee*

section215

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2011
NYC
anyone who doesn't have scuff marks will be happy - the answer to this thread is basically in the poll about how many people have scuffed black iphones.

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
These are all personal reasons why you don't care about your phone getting chipped paint from being in your pocket :rolleyes:

I care about resale value. You don't. End thread.

Applecare solves any resale value.

I am happy with my purchase of black.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Me!

All of the things the fanboys said about it were TRUE!

On the other hand, some little tiny nicks seem to be driving the herd to the fugly white one.

Guess we see what they really want for innovation after all eh?

I love everything about it. So light, so fast, such a killer speaker!

Home run!

Joewat64

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
TX
Looking the design o the black, they will ALL have or get scuff marks. It's paint people.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
I am.

1. The scuffing does not look bad at all unless you really abuse it.

I won't have mine until after work, but I am happy I went with black just from the pictures. I will be using a case as always, and I will be adding Applecare. :)

clumsyalex

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
You don't get it. Yes, of course I expect the thing to start peeling/chipping away in due time. No product is absolutely flawless. However, for such a premium product it shouldn't start to wear away in a matter of a few hours with normal use. With good handling, it should at least last a few weeks or months or so before even showing such signs (in my opinion). And a case just adds more thickness to the thin design. Why should I have to pay more money to prevent something that normally shouldn't happen so early with the use of a product. Apple should at least offer some kind of free casing then imo.

Last edited:

groupersandwich

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
I am! Mine will will never know a day without a case and screen protector (already have them on my desk waiting for the FedEx truck to deliver my IP5) so I'm not overly worried about scuff marks or scratches.

psac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2009
I am! Mine will will never know a day without a case and screen protector (already have them on my desk waiting for the FedEx truck to deliver my IP5) so I'm not overly worried about scuff marks or scratches.

Same here, always have a case and screen protector or bumper and dual protection. HOWEVER, from the original list, number 6 is the one that bothers me. The scuffs that are being shown really seem to be ABNORMAL wear and tear. You shouldn't have that within "20 minutes" as some of the reviews said. That's definitely wrong for a $850 phone. I agree with people that this shouldn't be the case (no pun intended.) That being said, I'll still be happy with my black.

itjw

macrumors 65816
Dec 20, 2011
Face it guys, no one uses cases anymore, resale is all that matters, and even though everyone expects it to wear "down the road" no one should live with a tiny nick today. The phone might explode ffs.

*facepalm*

Jarson

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2011
Glasgow
I'm more than happy with my black iPhone. To be honest I do not understand people who went with white one just because of some scuff fobia. When you screw up your white iPhone it won't look pretty as well. I know, I know, you might say "but on a white one scuffs won't be as visible as on the black one". So my answer is...

don't forget to paint your nails :D

daveolej

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2012
SW OH
Applecare solves any resale value.

I am happy with my purchase of black.

How does applecare solve your resale value. Doesn't it cost $100 up front and $50 to replace the phone? Thats an extra $150 that I doubt you'll make back on resale.

Sorry, I've never had applecare, just trying to understand

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
don't have mine yet but will assess it out of the box. I'll have a case that covers 98% of the band around (otterbox commuter) so if it's no big deal, it's no big deal.

----------

How does applecare solve your resale value. Doesn't it cost $100 up front and $50 to replace the phone? Thats an extra $150 that I doubt you'll make back on resale.

Sorry, I've never had applecare, just trying to understand

checkmate.

...and people say us Ohioans are illogical...

Jarson

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2011
Glasgow
don't have mine yet but will assess it out of the box. I'll have a case that covers 98% of the band around (otterbox commuter) so if it's no big deal, it's no big deal.

----------

checkmate.

...and people say us Ohioans are illogical...

I think he didn't mean AppleCare+ but a regular warranty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.