Who is in MBA program while being employed?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by YS2003, Dec 9, 2006.

1. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

Is there anyone who is pursuing an MBA degree while working? I was good at school/college and am still so:cool: .
    But, I have never experienced MBA courses. I heard it is a waste of time in the current business world and I also heard it would open up a whole new career opportunity with increased earning power. It seems the average initial salary for an MBA holder at the large corporation is over $150,000/year.

Please tell me about your thoughts and experience.

2. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

I studied and completed my MBA, part-time, whilst working in the UK and I was lucky enough to be sponsored all the way through.

I didn't and still don't regard it as a golden ticket to riches, as some believe ... it did however do what I wanted, which was to open my eyes to the corporate business theory and study with both 'junior' and 'senior' managers, from completely different backgrounds and industries. A lot of the time, the class interaction was more interesting than the theory.

3. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Thanks for the post. My current employer does not sponsor MBA for its employee. But, I could make them make an exception for my case.

Have you gained some "increase" in salary or wages?

4. Danksi macrumors 68000

Danksi

:D :D I moved to Canada! I gained so much more, but that had bugga' all to do with the MBA.

Seriously though, the main reason I was sponsored, was because I found a reasonably priced course that was Association MBA (AMBA) approved, I had already demonstrated the aptitude through a BSc and they knew I was keen enough to pay for the course myself and take days off to attend class.

Once I got involved in the course, I didn't focus on any salary increase, but more on increasing my general knowledge - as that is what an MBA is - general knowledge.

5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

After graduating from college, I wanted to either go to law school or get my MBA. I'm currently doing both & holding a part-time job (my grad school allows me to graduate with my law degree & MBA in 4 years).

Pretty much for the sole reason to differentiate myself from the rest of the field. You can't walk down a street in Minneapolis while swinging a cat by its tail without hitting someone with an MBA. Around these parts, an MBA is a MUST to increase your earning power and raise that ceiling. Everyone and their uncle is a business/econ graduate from good school X; furthering your education really opens a lot more doors.

I'm looking to make a good deal of bank in the future, and I can start doing that right out of the gates by being more qualified for dream job X than anyone else. I've got a number of contacts at some pretty major companies, here in Minneapolis, as well as Chicago & NYC. If I graduate law school with a pretty good class rank, along with an MBA, I know I wouldn't start a job at less than $85,000/year, probably more near $90,000-$100,000. After a few years after graduation, it's only a matter of climbing the stairs. Part of it is that I'm pretty outgoing and have a decent amount of info in my cranium; they other part is that I have a great network of contacts set up.

It will be worth it, at least that's what I keep telling myself as I shell out $35,000/year for more schooling and more debt to get my damn law degree and MBA :D

6. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

IMO it's better to work a few years to gain experience, then go back for your MBA. Many employers will help in the costs. Once back in the classroom you will understand how the theories relate to your position. Also, you will learn a lot from your classmates, who will probably be various in age and experience.

I just completed a Masters of Arts in Teaching. I was taking nine hours in the evenings while teaching high school in the daytime. It was very exhausting. Just limit yourself to six hours and you'll do fine, especially if you're young and single. I am 44 and have children, so it was far more stressful for me.

7. YS2003 thread starter macrumors 68020

YS2003

Is online MBA course valued as much as MBA degree obtained through attending the actual classes? From the way MBA programs work, I am getting the feeling that attending the actual classes with other MBA students are more enriching experience than the online setting.
    But, if I am going to go for MBA, setting up the ideal class schedule would be one of the difficult issues I would need to resolve.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

My situation is that, while I was at Ford / Visteon, I applied for and was accepted to the University of Michigan's evening MBA program, but ultimately decided not to go. I don't regret the decision... I made a bigger career change that ultimately isn't as lucrative but is more rewarding for me as a person...

But anyway, I went through a lot of the process back then, and so I wanted to share some thoughts that I experienced... I'm not sure if they'll be relevant to you. This all pertains to the US... I have no idea where you live.

1) With respect to the credential of the MBA... I think only in the consulting world do people even care, and even there, the caring is pretty limited. BUT. You should definitely, if pursuing an evening or weekend or executive or electronic MBA program, ONLY ONLY ONLY pursue one from an accredited, reknowned institution. Don't go the Phoenix route. So my rough feeling is that, a program such as the Duke eMBA would be considered credible, but not all distance MBAs would be.

2) Most companies are fine with evening MBAs and consider it a major accomplishment. The biggest things you won't get are... the immersion and the interviewing / job hunting features of an MBA program. The other thing that I think is non-trivial is that night classes, even when they have really bright people in them (e.g. at Michigan, GMAT and GPA performance was comparable, at least when I applied, between evening and day admits), the night course structure often tends to make people want to "just get through it" and not try as hard... so that can be a detriment.

3) If you're at a company, and you do this with their support, make sure you discuss frankly before you do it what will happen afterwards. There are a lot of horror stories where this is not planned out, resulting in... (a) no real change in job responsibilities, (b) no real promotion financially, (c) no real plan. And then the person eventually walks away to another company that hires them as an MBA, and everyone is bitter about it. Don't let that happen....

Anyway, I think it could be a great opportunity. My decision process was really complex and I don't regret passing on it. But I think it can also be very rewarding.