Who is listening to my itunes music?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by freeny, Dec 20, 2005.

1. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Is there a way to find out who specificly is listening to my itunes music shared within my network?

2. superninjagoat macrumors 6502

superninjagoat

3. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

The MAN is listening... he is ALWAYS listening. Damn the MAN.

4. MacManDan macrumors 6502

5. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i know in sharing preferences it'll tell you how many are connected, but i dont know whether it'll tell you exactly who.

6. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

7. adk macrumors 68000

adk

That widget honestly isn't that great. It's like oh, look, Mr. 201.44.553.335 is listening to my Itunes!!

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What do you want to know? Their Name, address, zip code, phone number and social security number? :p

What is the point of sharing music through iTunes? :confused:

9. emutree macrumors member

I'd love them to build in a bare-bones instant messenger into iTunes - often I want to talk to people listening to my music or whose music I'm listening to but they don't have the wonder of iChat with Rendezvous errrr Bonjour. That way you could set up a nickname in iTunes preferences too to make it more obvious to people in your building who know you to recognize your music.

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

That would be a great addition. There is already Bonjour (ergh, bring back Rendezvous!) for Windows so I can't see a problem with packing it into the iTunes app so that you could have a quick talk over a rendezvous network. I remember when Rendezvous for Windows came out there was talk of Apple providing iChat for the Windows platform. Well, for them to do that they'd need to build in MSN support (nobody I know uses anything else) but I think it could be great to just put a lite chat part to iTunes.

Getting a bit swiss army knife-like though... might not be such a good idea, I'm still a bit skeptical of using iTunes to manage my videos, I reckon Apple needs something like "iVideo" to manage your video content and let iTunes go back to music. iTunes has a few quirks that just don't translate over to video management too well if you ask me.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The regular app that was linked at least seems to do a reverse DNS lookup, though something like dsl-6579.ca-s.verizon.net isn't that much more helpful. :p

Since Windows is predominant (sigh) in most networks, it might be fun/useful to do a reverse NMB lookup to get the Windows name of the machine that is connected This sometimes even returns the username of the person who is logged on (I think it depends on the authentication scheme domain vs. workgroup).

The commands are nmblookup -A 123.234.123.234 on unix and nbtstsat -A 123.234.123.234 on Windows.

B

12. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

If your that worried about it why don't you just disable sharing or put a password on your shared music.

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Heck, forget about the Video iPod dating service. Just hook up with people who are listening to your networked iTunes :p You'd probably have more in common to talk about. Possibly.

I too would like to know who through the shared network is listening to my library. Also, I would like the ability to have more than 5 listeners per library each day.

14. abc123 macrumors 6502

i'm bumping this up because itunes monitor doesn't work anymore for me on tiger. it just spends all day "connecting" :(

is there any other way to work out who is listening to my music. i was in a room today with a whole bunch of people all with laptops and headphones and someone was listening to my music only i had no idea who and its been driving me nuts!

15. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Turn off sharing for about 5 minutes and see who gets mad :D

16. freeny thread starter macrumors 68020

freeny

FUNNY!

Just a note, Its not that I dont want others to listen to my music, i do. Its just the curiosity of WHO? The hot chick down the hall? My boss?

17. Sam* macrumors regular

Sam*

I am a tad confused here if i switch on share my music?

Who else can use it? i'm just on my pc at home....

Also if i can how do i access other peoples shared music?

Thanks sam

18. p0intblank macrumors 68030

If your music sharing is enabled, that means all other iTunes users on YOUR network can stream the music to their computers and listen to it. The same goes for iPhoto. It's fun being on public networks and seeing what other people are listening to. :D I haven't done it yet with iPhoto publicly, but one of these days I hope to. I just hope I don't come across anything too scary...

As for listening to other people's shared music, you have to enable it in iTunes' preferences. It's under the Sharing tab.

19. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

It's not a matter of being on the same network, but rather being within wireless range of each other. iTunes uses Bonjour (IETF Zeroconf) to talk wirelessly between computers, without configuring a network.

At least that's how I understand it.

20. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Assuming that your wireless network uses WEP or WPA this should not be the case. Even though a user is within range they don't have the required key to join your network, and so Bonjour plays no role.

At least that's how I understand it. ;)

B

21. p0intblank macrumors 68030

I thought in order for Bonjour to work, you have to be on the same network. For example, I was on my neighbor's network the other night and her iTunes music library showed up under 'Shared Music.' But now that I am on our home network, only my family members' libraries are showing up.

22. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I could have sworn I've listen to shared music without being logged onto their network, but maybe I was on their network and didn't realize it. :eek:

23. abc123 macrumors 6502

i tried that, i didn't notice anyone react too strangely but there were a few people not facing me. who ever it was wasn't sharing their music with me either :mad:.
    technically it could have been someone on a different floor. i was at uni so there are a ton of little wireless networks around, its all a bit too confusing for me.

24. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

same thing

is there a widget that tells you whos on your wireless network?

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Zeroconf is not exclusively wireless or wired. It uses TCP/IP, which can run over a bunch of things (ethernet, firewire, wifi, bluetooth even!). It does require you to be on a network though.

Stupid trademark issues. :rolleyes: