Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Who is considering purchasing an iPhone?

I won't be getting one.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Does anyone else feel that they made this phone a little too complicated to use? It looks a lot more involved than the usual consumer Apple product. Hmmmmmm.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
No thanks....

The iPhone sure is cool, but I dont see as much potential in it. I dont like how it is an on screen keyboard to type things. If I want to make an appointment, it will be a bit difficult to enter them in than if I had a stylus or a real keyboard.

Windows Mobile for me still....

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
WAIT! If it's not shipping until June... what are those special podiums at the Apple stores all about? Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
10:54 am note - iPhone prices include a 2 year contract - FYI

Okay... definitely never getting it now....

If it comes with a contract for 599 or 499, that means the damn thing will be like 700-800 dollars without one! That is way too much. The newest PDA phones coming out can be bought for 600 dollars without a contract.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
I would like one but it is not in the UK till the end of 2007. The price will probably be around the £300 to £400 mark if it is available SIM free, or available only on one network which I am not on, or require a very expensive price plan.

I've been with Vodafone for 7 years now and generally get a new phone for free every December, so this will be good timing for me. I'd be willing to pay maybe £75 towards the phone and stick with my current £30 per month price plan.

I got the Nokia E70 in December for free and like it well enough - it was the natural upgrade after having the 6820 then 6822. All these phones have full flip-out QWERTY keyboards, which I find very handy. Trouble is, the E70 does not work with OS X for syncing. But the screen is great, as is the camera, the wireless. Shame the software is so poor and buggy and slow, but when it works it is great.

Really, all I want is an OS X compatible phone so I can keep it all synced. A proper keyboard is also important. Just hope I am not artificially precluded from getting the iPhone (due to network lock-in with someone other than Vodafone) or financially (due to it costing a ridiculous amount of money).

As for things like it being too complicated with the touchscreen, I expect it will be easy enough to pick up and learn. Much like most Apple products, really. After a while people will wonder how they ever managed with something as crude as buttons.

stevento

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2006
Los Angeles
I don't care if it's $999, I am buying it immediately.

sounds like steve jobs' fantasy

anyway the battery life is small and the HD isn't so great.
so maybe you should wait for when they come out with an update to th iPhone.

you know apple is kinda like car corps. hardcore car enthusiasts know never to buy any car the first year it comes out becuase the second model year is always leaps and bounds better than the first.

think about iPod nano and remastered iPod nano. its obvious that apple had the upgrades from the start and released a crappy version to get people to buy it twice.

Unless they are cheaper in Canada and will work with PCS then nope.

Maybe in a year or two when the 3G iPhone's come out...if they have more memory and are cheaper and have...

the first carrier is going to be just cingular:( ...
but its better to wait until the price drops half a grand.
it might be like the RAZR phone. it came out and it was like $500 the next year it was $200 and the next year they were giving it away free with service plans.

wako

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Just on theory alone...

I dont think the iPhone is a HD... it probably is is using flash drives like the Nano. If it were using a mini HD, it would soak up more precious battery life. Many PPC phones and smartphones do just that. Problem is, it drives the cost up alot, which is why you dont see alot of PPC phones have alot of memory.

And, I doubt you will see anything like the RAZR phone. The RAZR phone is general was cheap to manufacter. If you look at any smartphone or PPC phone, they wont go down as much. Probably drop 100 dollars after a year on the market and thats it. This is also a niche market as well. Not alot of people will buy it because it isnt targeted to the masses. The price point and form factor isnt what the general public are looking for.

Cant wait to see this in the wild though. Im a bit excited to see how well it performs and more importantly, how well it is accepted by the phone market.

Hertog

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2005
I wanted to buy one immediatly, but unfortunatly, that's not quite possible. I am intending to buy one in 'Q4', whenever that will turn out to be. But who knows, something better just might come along. I can understand Apple not wanting the FCC to spoil the surprise, but now Steve has given away everything to other manufacturers now as well, so who know what's for sale by then...

capone2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
chelsea-nyc
OF COURSE! getting..

one of the best products in years. and if u people are not on cingular by now well geeze! HELLO its all about cingular !

dextertangocci

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2006
If this is meant to be an iPod replacement, how can it be only 4GB's and 8GB's? That's stupid, for a VIDEO ipod. A movie from the iTunes store is about 1GB, plus you want to store all your photo's and music:confused: 30GB is not enough for me, nor is 60GB...

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
My 80GB is almost full, but I might still sell it to get the iPhone. I'll just have to manage what I sync up on it closely.

UrsaMajor

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2007
I'm sold on it. I use a nokia e62 now which is basically a stripped down e61 which in europe had wifi. Cingular, my carrier stripped it out so I have only use their network which is SLOWWWW. Just to be able to use a hotspot sells it to me.

I'm curious of the price without the contract. I'd assume if its cingular it has a sim card that i can just swap out and use.

RabidBear

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2006
Denver. CO
iPhone is completely useless to me

This phone is completely useless to me. Everyone I know is on Verizon including me. I have decent coverage and can call anyone "in network" that I need to.

What I need is an iPod that's widescreen with 80Gb worth of storage. I don't need an 8Gb phone attached to a useless GSM network.

C'mon Apple release an iPod in the iPhone form factor!

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
the first carrier is going to be just cingular:( ...
but its better to wait until the price drops half a grand.
it might be like the RAZR phone. it came out and it was like $500 the next year it was $200 and the next year they were giving it away free with service plans.

Oh come now. This is Apple we are talking about. We all know that Apple will NEVER allow one of their products to be offered for FREE. Hell, we're lucky enough to get price drops once in a blue moon. I see this phone staying expensive for a long, long time.

zephead

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2006
in your pants
That thing looks totally awesome, but I was hoping it actually came out for purchase today because my aging Sony Ericsson Z500A is eligible for upgrade this month and I'm not waiting until June to replace it. And the iPhone is at least $500 WITH a contract? Maybe next year... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.