Who is still on an origional iMac besides me?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bennetsaysargh, Feb 1, 2003.

1. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

I think my family are the only people using an origional 400Mhz G3 iMac. It take a lot of bounces for iCal and other iApps. It is tremendously slow for everything else too. [​IMG] Does anyone have any ideas for convincing him because al my dad uses it is for e-mail

I will be grateful for any ides on this

2. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

How old are you?

The reason I ask is that you may be able to get a part-time job (if you want to, it won't affect your performance in school, and your parents will let you) and work your way to a new eMac or FP iMac.

3. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

I'm only 13 years old, but my birthday is in early march so then I'll be able to get a job. that's one thing i have thought of, but it will take me a little while
    Thanks

4. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: Who is still on an origional iMac besides me?

bah, your machine is a speed demon compared to mine. I've got a true original iMac, the 233 mhz machine with a rage IIc graphics chipset. Works great in OS 9. OS X was too slow, so I gave up on that until the time comes to get a new machine. My computer is like my car: I really want to upgrade, I can afford to upgrade, but I can't really justify doing so because my machine (and my car) still does pretty much what I want. I'll probbaly end up keeping both for a good while longer.

5. Freg3000 macrumors 68000

Freg3000

I had a 333Mhz Bluberry iMac for over 3 years. This Christmas I got a Dual 1Ghz MDD. Big difference.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

My 233MHz iMac is up in Maine and is rarely used. A month or two ago I booted it up (with OS 9.2.2 and almost no installed crap) and OS 9 was about as fast as OS X on my Cube.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Re: Re: Who is still on an origional iMac besides me?

Bah, yes we have our old pride and glory.

The real original iMac 233 !

Without overclocking I just raised the bus speed with some control panel app and i get a 3-5% speed increase, it is there for e-mail and (slow) web.

I (finally) got my dad to get me a new comp (current 800 MHZ iMac) but I couldn't get my dad to look at the rumor sites for possible upgrades or I would of still have been using my ol iMac.

8. AssassinOfGates macrumors 6502

Was using a rev B until I got a job and worked all summer+, now I have a Dual 867. My parents are even more stubborn... my dad breaks my PowerBook g3, and his brand new TiBook (they fixed the TiBook under warranty, but my dad voided my warranty on the g3)... and he wont let me use the Dual 500 behind me. Man, all i had to do is buy a new radeon for that and it would be great, but instead I had to pay $1785 plus tax for my new comp... and thats just the tower.

9. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

crud. i know a guy, good friend, whos dad broke his eBookman, the franklin ones. His dad said that he wanted to make it up so he got to choose any pda he wanteed. got a m515.

my dad said that i cant get a powerbook. i dont know why. i only got him to buy me a tower a few months ago!!! :D

look. if you buy it with moneies you earnt, you will appreciate it all that much more. i did, my first comp was all mine, a pc. made me enjoy the mac even more again.

10. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

bennetsaysargh: I see on your signature that you want an iPod also. Are your parents going to buy it for you, or are you paying for it?

11. Raiden macrumors regular

Hmm im on a 600 SWimac and it works great w/ jag.

12. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If all he does is email and internet he doesnt need much more.But of coarse he is missing out on all the good stuff,iphoto,imovie,itunes,games,etc.13 is still a little young but keep working on him and educate him! In a little while maybe you can start cutting neighbors lawns or doing some odd jobs to save for a slightly used machine. Good luck and be patient!:)

13. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I Have the king of them all, the 700mhz snow iMac!!!\
    Its a great computer and the HD is about half full.
    I need to do some tweaking with Jag I get beach balls alot.

14. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

I am still living with 350 mhz imac but it is slow in osx.. i'm hoping to raise some money for AlBook 1ghz

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I still have my Blueberry 333mhz iMac around. In fact I am posting right now from it.

16. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

I'm using a Graphite 400 Mhz G3 iMac too. I'll admit that it's a bit faster in OS 9, but OS X is as fast as I need it. Sure, it could be faster, but whats the point? My iMac does everything I ask it to.

17. Boone macrumors newbie

how about you don't run OS X. Guarenteed that would increase your speed

18. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I'd rather have a somewhat slower computer than not have OS X. Since upgrading to X about a year ago, I couldn't stand the idea of going back to 9. That's just me, though.

19. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Origional 400?

I have a Rev-A Bondi Blue iMac. It was a 233G3 but I up graded it to a 466G3 with 192MB RAM. I gave it to my girl friend about 6 mounths ago. I had OS X.2 running on it but it had toomany problems. I installed 9.2.2 a few weeks ago and shes happy now... at least it boots. She does miss iChat

20. bennetsaysargh thread starter macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i'm saving up for an iPod with my own money
    The very little i get because i don't have a job and don't get an allowence
    you can give me money if you want
    i want either a 10GB or a 20GB, but with new updates on the way i'm really happy

21. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Re: Origional 400?

]
    was it hard upgrading like that? I got a rev b 233MHz but I don't use it anymore...it just gets occasional use from my little sisters..right now I got a 600MHz flower power :)...soon will come a fp iMac or emac...

22. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

Re: Origional 400?

was it hard upgrading like that? I got a rev b 233MHz but I don't use it anymore...it just gets occasional use from my little sisters..right now I got a 600MHz flower power :)...soon will come a fp iMac or emac...

23. evildead macrumors 65816

evildead

Re: Re: Origional 400?

It wasnt too hard but I'm not scard to take stuff appart. Its harder than doing the same thing to your average PC... but the chip came with instrutions on how to do it. There is a CPU daughter card that you have to remove to even install RAM on the lower slot. When you install the CPU you just have to replace the duaghter card. Pulling the board out of it is kind of strange but if you get the directions on line (Apple has some) you will be fine.

I think the company that made my CPU upgrade card went out of Biz, I heard that they were comming back but the last time I went to there site they said.. comming soon. I'm sure that other companies make simmaler products.

24. JupiterZen macrumors regular

I made my dad very happy with a 400Mhz iMac just a month ago. But he only uses it for email and web as well.

It was a big improvement over his Powermac 5200 ;-) And it's running Jaguar like a charm, only sturrering the genie effect.

Must admit it's loaded with memory ;)