who is the most influential person of the 20th century? 19th century? of all time?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jan 10, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    for the 20th century, i will say albert einstein

for the 19th century, at least in the usa, i will say abe lincoln
    for the world, i would say queen victoria

for all of history, i will say jesus christ
  2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

Feb 2, 2002
    Hmm, there are a lot of different ways to be influential... And it depends on where you are and your lifestyle and everything. I think a lot of people might list people they find virtuous, like mother theresa...

that said... the past century, i couldn't really say; the past two centuries Queen Victoria or Benjamin Franklin, perhaps. All time, i'd say you're probably correct, Jesus.

3. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    Re: who is the most influential person of the 20th century? 19th century? of all tim

The most influental person???

...myself, muharharhar!!!
  4. sturm375 macrumors 6502

Jan 8, 2002
    Bakersfield, CA
    20th: Hitler, even though I don't think he was a nice guy, he certianatly influenced a lot of people.

19th: Ben Franklin?

Of all time: Confusious(sp?).

Although I agree that Jesus Christ was influential, talking numbers, Confusious wins by a large margin.
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    20th Winston Churchill with a 2nd to FDR

19th Abraham Lincoln, US and Queen Victoria

All time is Jesus Christ of Nazareth, no contest
  6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

20th Century - Thomas Edison! He was responsible for creating technology companies as we know them today!

19th - Alfred Nobel - He revolutionized industry, war, and peace.

All time - I agree. Jesus Christ
  7. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2001
    19th Century- John Rockefeller, pioneered the massive corporation and set in motion the petrol economy that dominates the world to date.

20th Century- Adolf Hitler, started the biggest war seen to date and changed the political face of the world forever.

Of all time- Jesus Christ
  8. yzeater macrumors regular

Oct 19, 2002
    Here is a man who was born in an obscure village, the child of a peasant woman. He grew up in another village. He worked in a carpenter shop until He was thirty. Then for three years He was an itinerant preacher.

He never owned a home. He never wrote a book. He never held an office. He never had a family. He never went to college. He never put His foot inside a big city. He never traveled two hundred miles from the place He was born. He never did one of the things that usually accompany greatness. He had no credentials but Himself...

While still a young man, the tide of popular opinion turned against him. His friends ran away. One of them denied Him. He was turned over to His enemies. He went through the mockery of a trial. He was nailed upon a cross between two thieves. While He was dying His executioners gambled for the only piece of property He had on earth ? His coat. When He was dead, He was laid in a borrowed grave through the pity of a friend.

Nineteen long centuries have come and gone, and today He is a centerpiece of the human race and leader of the column of progress.

I am far within the mark when I say that all the armies that ever marched, all the navies that were ever built; all the parliaments that ever sat and all the kings that ever reigned, put together, have not affected the life of man upon this earth as powerfully as has that one solitary life.

"One Solitary Life"
    Dr. James Allan Francis

I'd say Jesus
  9. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
    20th centuary - hmm.. I'd say Hitler/Einstein tossup
    19th - Well.. electricity IS pretty badass...
    Alltime - Steve Jobs. Easily. Jesus has nothing on the Lisa.
  10. King Cobra macrumors 603

Mar 2, 2002
    20th Century -- Einstien
    19th Century -- (I can't think of anyone famous for that time period)

All time -- Johann Gutenberg, inventor of the printing press, resulting in copying machines, resulting in computers/printers, resulting in high speed replicators, resulting in factories and cheap newspapers we can read today. Otherwise, today, we would be reading about AIDS through someone's handwriting, and that person would be paid an awful lot to spend his life writing book after book of the same material. Who would do that now?
  11. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    Actually, without religion, we'd have had so much less war, that " all the armies that ever marched, all the navies that were ever built" would have had very little to do.

Were it not for Jesus, and religion in general, we could have skipped the Crusades, World War II, the War on Terror (or Terra, if you're Texan), etc.

Were it not for Jesus, and religion in general, America would be a very diffferent place.

Were it not for Jesus, I could watch CNN without knowing the meaning of the word Hezbollah.

Jesus, Jehovah, Allah, etc. have a lock on this. They've been responsible for a number of deaths that make Hitler look like Manson.

Truly influential.
  12. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002
    20th-Einstein or Hitler have certainly changed the world the most
    19th-Eli Whitney (where would we be without interchangable parts, and the Industrial Revolution)
    18th-Ben Franklin
    All time-Jesus, the all time biggest savior/killer, cause of warmth and war in equal proportion, and he made kickass cabinets!
  13. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    You're confusing Jesus and his life and message with what people say they do in his name. If you actually pay attention to history, you'll notice that religion was used as a justification for wars and such, but is rarely, if not ever, the real reason. Humans greed for more possesions and power, but publicly acting on such bases isn't good for public perception, so people try to find a moral reason to cover their greed.

In religious societies, religion is a good cover.
    And since religion of some kind has been almost universally present until the last century or two, people relate war with religion. In Germany this last century, religion was passé (I think that's the right word), so Hitler justified his horrible eugenic practices in the name of science. It's not about religion or non-religion, it's about people's greed.

Concerning Jesus, if you did even a quick study of his life and teaching, you'd see he wanted nothing of greed and power. He was all about loving your neighbor and following God's rules (summed up: Love God and love your neighbor, that pretty much covers everything). And he didn't take nonsense either, throwing out merchants in the temple and exposing the hypocrisy of the pharisees. In the Bible it instructs people to "as far as possible live at peace with all men." Look, that's about as far from propagating war as it gets.

Sorry about the rant, but when people ignore all this information about what Jesus is all about and instead say he caused so many problems, they really need to check again.
  14. Vector macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2002
    There was an article some time ago about the most influencial person of the 20th century. Time magazine was doing an issue around 2000 naming the most influential people of the past century. The article, not in Time itself, said that Adolf Hitler had originaly been chosen, but good taste and threats by subscribers to stop buying the magazine prevented Hitler from being chosen as the most influential. The main problem was that they were going to put a picture of hitler on the cover, which for obvious reasons would have offended many and thus hurt sales.
  15. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    I would rather have jesus and war than spend eternity in hell. just my feelings though. but i do agree with you kindof. Jesus isnt the reason for all religions. Jesus wasnt the reason terrorists want to kill all of us. Yes religion causes many problems, but only because people differ in religoins. but it all doesnt matter when you die becasue i know where i am going.

16. springscansing macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2002
    New York
    Clearly... cause without Jesus you'd just go to hell by default.
  17. iJon macrumors 604

Feb 7, 2002
    well said.

18. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Not to mention how everyone is Christian.
  19. alex_ant macrumors 68020

Feb 5, 2002
    All up in your bidness
    Makes me glad I wasn't born before Jesus was.
  20. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    20th century - Winston Churchhill
    19th Century - maybe Charles Darwin?
    All time - Ts'ai Lun :p
  21. diorio macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2002
    20th- J.R Tolkein/FDR/Hitler
    19th- Abe Lincoln
    All time- Confusious, due to the fact that more follow his religion than christs

Yes look how far we have come following him. We've had the Crusades, the Inquition, the Reformation, and now the Middle East Conflict. Oh yeah, he's done great things. Especially for the problem of overpopulation.:rolleyes:
  22. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    i worry about overpopulation but the big threat to the human race is human nature

i thought when the iron curtain fell apart, the threat of worldwide destruction was over

...but now i am not sure and it's so much more likely for humans to do themselves in through war way before overpopulation becomes a problem

the united states, once respected for being a peacekeeper, is now losing that image worldwide and george w bush is starting to look like a warmonger in their eyes

and as time goes by and i see his actions in office, i am starting to think the same thing, too

now more than ever, in this month, we have less reason to attack iraq...and if we do, we will look like the agressor

it was much different in 1990 when saddam attacked kuwait...at least we had the impresssion that we were defending something/someone for a reason

this time, there is no proof and no reason and it will look like the vietnam war in some ways

if we attack, watch the protests around the world and in your neighborhood happen

i could only hope a reasonable voice like colin powell can convince the president to stay out of a war we have no exit from
  23. lmalave macrumors 68000

Nov 8, 2002
    Chinatown NYC
    20th Century: Einstein
    Keep in mind Einstein's contributions to BOTH Quantum Physics and the Theory of Relativity, and the resulting effects of these theories on both politics and philosopy.

19th Century: Darwin
    Not only were his scientific theories earth-shattering, but keep in mind how his "theories" (as they are misinterpreted) are such an important implicit (or sometimes explicit) part of political and socioeconomic discussion to this day

All time: Adam Smith
    Founder of Economics

The all time one was hard, but basically it comes down to this: the biggest changes in human history have been 1) the agricultural revolution and 2) the industrial revolution. Since agriculture originated in 3 separate locations (Middle East, China, Central America) after the end of the last ice age, no one person could take the credit even if we could trace it back that far. And no one person can take the credit for the industrial revolution, either, but I believe that Adam Smith had a much, much larger role than any single scientist or inventor. Adam Smith founded the science of economics, meaning the rigorous study of the creation and distribution of resources in society (not just accounting which has been around probably since before writing even). Adam Smith's "Wealth of Nations" was widely read and immediately hugely influential in Britain and the U.S., where the industrial revolution was born. His observations on the benefits of division of labor and of the benefit of trade led *directly* to a rapid escalation in the scale of production - from small artisans shops and guilds to huge mechanized enterprises in a relatively short span of time.

I highly, highly recommend the book "The Worldly Philosophers", which covers the history of economics from Adam Smith to Karl Marx to John Maynard Keynes. The history of economics may not seem like an interesting topic, but the book is AMAZINGLY well written and a real eye-opener. It'll be one of the most thought-provoking books you ever read, trust me.
  24. faustfire7 macrumors newbie

Jan 9, 2003
    Visalia, ca
  25. irmongoose macrumors 68030

Dec 3, 2001
    Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
    19th century: human stupidity

20th century: human stupidity

all time: aliens

but no, I don't believe in the Raelien cloning or whatever... :rolleyes: