who is the smartest president?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jefhatfield, Jul 9, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

the stupidest?
    the most forgetful?
    the most out of touch?
    the horniest?
    the biggest liar?
    the most religious?
    the most forgetable?

for smartest i would say clinton
    stupidest is the one we have now
    most forgetful was reagan...and that was before his alzheimer's
    most out of touch was johnson
    the horniest was clinton, with kennedy a close second
    the biggest liar was nixon
    the most religious was carter
    the most forgetable was bush sr., followed by ford

...at least that's who i can remember in my lifetime ;)

2. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Smartest=FDR/Clinton/Bush I
    Stupidest=BushII, Reagan
    Forgetful=" " " "
    Horniest=Clinton/JFK
    Liar=Clinton, BushII, Nixon
    Religious=Truman/JFK
    Forgettable=Ford, Bush I
    Underated=Johnson/Hoover

4. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I'll assume we are choosing from fairly recent presidents.

Smartest - Clinton
    Dumbest - Dubya
    Forgetful - Reagan
    Horniest - JFK
    Liar - Nixon or Dubya
    Religious - not sure about this one.
    Forgettable - I'd like to forget Dubya ever happened! :)

5. King Cobra macrumors 603

the smartest: JFK. 197 IQ.
    the horniest: Prob. Clinton.

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Ok, I'll play.

the smartest? Clinton, followed closely by Carter (from 1950 onward.) Of all presidents it is Jefferson with no one else even close. Wilson deserves a distant honorable mention.

the stupidest? George W. Bush (from 1950 onward.) Of all time Bush may edge out such luminaries as Buchanan and Fillmore.

the most forgetful? Reagan, but I'm not convinced he was not already suffering from early symptoms of Alzheimer's. It's an obscure category so I'll give this one to Reagan overall as well.

the most out of touch? since 1950, I'd give this to George H.W. Bush. His disdain for the effects of the recession on average Americans cost him the election. All time it goes to Calvin Coolidge with even Bush struggling to come in second.

the horniest? assuming this means most relations outside of marriage, it goes to JFK, both recent and all time. Of course, in his day no one said anything about it. There are a lot more entrants in this category than most people think.

the biggest liar? Too many to choose from, but of the post 1950 Presidents I'll go with George W. Bush. although he sticks to his lies very well. Johnson (Tonkin Gulf), Clinton (Monica), Reagan (Iran/Contra), and of course second place finisher, Nixon (do I need to say why?) all get "honorable" mention. I'll go with this group all time as well. Presidents in the past didn't get called on their lies as often.

the most religious? Carter, among the 1950 up crowd. He actually is a good advertisement for religion. All time I'm going with both Adams. I'm particularly drawn to John Quincy Adams religious convictions against slavery.

the most forgetable? Since 1950s it is Ford. Not quite fair because he was never elected to national office, but it is undeniably true. Since the founding of the Republic, it is a close race but William Henry Harrison wins over Chester Alan Arthur. I know -- who? That's the point.

the greatest? Sorry, had to add this one. Since 1950 I'd go with Johnson. He transformed the country for the better in ways that none of his contemporaries did. I hold the mistakes of the Vietnam war against him, but still with the Civil Rights Act and Great Society programs he did some very, very good things. Of the whole lot, it comes down to Washington, Lincoln, and FDR, with TR, Wilson, and Jefferson in the second category. I have to go with Lincoln (imagine that a pick of a Republican President from me!) although FDR is very close.

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sayhey, I certainly agree in part with your comments on LBJ. Some of his Great Society ideas have turned out to not be so great in the applications, but that's not his fault.

LBJ probably had a better understanding of the American people than most others, including FDR. He was among the worst in understanding foreigners' manners/mores/policies.

Nixon was the reverse.

I've often wondered at the advisability of a dual-presidency: One for domestic affairs; one for foreign. E.g., LBJ/Nixon...

'Rat

8. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

as much as i am a democrat, i also realize a lot in the decades long history of communism and the threat they were to the world

it couldn't be taken head on...we would have lost

nixon's deal with china sealed it and showed the pinkos that they really wanted to be us ;)

reagan and bush sr were around when communism failed and got credit for it...and the gop was not about to give credit to a man, nixon, who put the party in the toilet for years ;)

even spock, in the year 2500 says that there is this vulcan saying, "only nixon can go to china"

i could see how one can see the great side of lbj with his domestic projects, but i also see the good nixon did in making an alliance with china...if he didn't we may have come to the world's end in an all out nuclear war

did nixon save the world?

maybe...and i will freely admit that "watergate man" did something good ;)