Who is using MPEG and Who is using H.264?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by JonHimself, Nov 24, 2005.

1. JonHimself macrumors 68000

JonHimself

I guess this really applies to 5G iPod owners only, but I welcome everyone to chip in their 2 cents. I am just curious as to who is using the formats and why. I am well into the process of converting my movie files and ripping my DVD's to an iPod friendly format but am always questioning my choice of using the MPEG format over H.264. I would like to know what the split amongst the MR community members was. I'm sure that there are arguments for both sides.

2. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

screw H.264 it takes 3 times as long to encode. Mpeg works just fine and its fast.

3. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

H.264 is appreciably better than MPEG4. The way I see it, I only have to encode once.

4. JonHimself thread starter macrumors 68000

JonHimself

My main reason for using MPEG was the time it took and the fact that I could get a higher resolution (for TV output). Putting time aside, even with the lower resolution, is H.264 better on a TV output?
    Also, I would imagine that source file makes a difference as well. I have found that when going from an AVI to an iPod file, the H.264 does not look any better than the MPEG. Perhaps, if the source is a DVD then H.264 is more appropriate (once again, not considering the time)

5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

I use MPEG currently but I am thinking of doing some in H.264 just to see how they compare.

6. bepster macrumors member

this is how I do it:
    h.264 for everything I want to watch on my ipod (tv-shows for example) and mpeg for all the movies I want to watch on a tv!
    very simple!