Who killed JonBenet Ramsey?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Frisco, Aug 20, 2006.

?

Who killed JonBenet Ramsey?

1. John Mark Carr

13 vote(s)
    12.0%
  2. Patsy Ramsey

27 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. John Ramsey

8 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Burke Ramsey (JonBenet's brother)

7 vote(s)
    6.5%
  5. Other: An unknown intruder

16 vote(s)
    14.8%
  6. I am just as confused as you!

37 vote(s)
    34.3%
  1. Frisco macrumors 68020

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

And it's Karr with a K.

Weird situation for sure. I wonder what the DNA tests will reveal?

3. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

I'm confused. You write "You killed JonBenet Ramsay?" three times, but it seems that "Who killed JonBenet Ramsay?" is the question that the poll has options for. :confused:

4. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

You're right. Sorry typo. It is of course, "Who".

I wish I could change the Poll title, but I can't.

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

can't trust anyone named Patsy as far as you can throw them :p

6. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's now fixed. Since you are working on official detective business, there will be no charge.

7. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Most legal commentators and FBI profilers are quite leery of Karr's confession. If DNA results rule him out, it is anybody's guess as to whether this case will ever be solved. The more I see those unsettling pictures of the girl looking way beyond her tender years, shame on her parents for allowing their child to be accessorized and robbed of her childhood in a bizarre way that made her a magnet for every wackjob pedophile thinking he just saw his dream lover.

8. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

Can we add the option "Who cares? There are more pressing issues in the world than a decade-old murder case."? That one gets my vote.

9. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Who cares...

anybody that sets up their kid to be pedophile bait should expect to get a bite.

I think the parents of these " child beauty queens" should have their heads checked and the kids taken away to a place where they can have a normal childhood.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I still think the parents had something to do with it but the fact that Karr knew things that haven't be publicised means that he probably has a connection to the murderer.

When you turn on the news (at least, here), there are plenty of incidents where parents or guardians have accidentally hurt some child when they were being uncooperative. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to people, except when they're truly generous and polite. I don't expect that.

11. iGary Guest

iGary

Whoever's DNA was found under her fingernails (which didn't match any family members, btw).

12. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

I have no idea, but I do know this Karr guy definately did not do it....

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, apparently Karr had contacted the mother before she died, so it's not impossible that she passed along information to him, either intentionally or unintentionally.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

It's hard to know where to draw that line. What about child actors? Juvenile sports stars? Children of diplomats who travel all over the world? Child prodigy musicians don't have normal childhoods either. It's hard to know when a parent is living through their child and taking away their childhood vs. when they are giving their children a unique opportunity they enjoy and will cherish. I do agree that "child beauty queen" can be very frivolous, but I don't automatically find fault with the parents, and I don't know enough about this case to apply that here.

15. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

That is an interesting point for debate. The Child prodigy example is where a talent is being exercised, whether the field be mathematics or music or arts ; being dressed up like a doll and acting a certain way does not require talent for the child only the make up and dress team.

Just google " child beauty pageants" and you will get an eyeful of this ...

Children of diplomats and such at least get to be themselves and experience the world.

I am divided on the issue of child athletes, I used to compete at national level when I was 12-18 in track and field but my school work came first, I think I missed a total of 8 classes the entire time. I have a problem with parents who send they kids to play junior league sports. i.e. sport before education. I don't consider sports to be a career choice. But rather something that can be done seriously for leisure.

16. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

17. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Er, wouldn't that be people who wouldn't click on the thread in the first place?

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That wouldn't have been too smart but then, forcing your little girl to be in beauty pageants? That's one way to ruin a childhood.

19. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

This case shows how far some people will go for attention. :(

20. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

No, the people who don't click are the ones who just don't care. The ones who click and respond to the poll are those who don't care and get upset that so many people do care. :p

21. MUCKYFINGERS macrumors 6502a

MUCKYFINGERS

Does anyone else feel like this case would not have gotten so much attention if A) she was not rich or a beauty pageant queen and B) she were not Caucasian? I get the feeling that kidnappings/murders/you name it of children happen everyday in this country, but only a select few go reported. This case is TEN YEARS OLD!!! I couldn't believe it suddenly jumped back into primetime CNN/Fox News last week.

Cases like Natalie Holloway too, I feel like these kinds of things happen all the time to other people, but they go unreported mainly because they do not fit the stereotype of being suburban/rich Caucasians. What about the minorities and/or poor (of any race) that probably get the short end of the stick because the news doesn't feel like they'd get the same kind of attention covering their tragedies/unsolved mysteries?

I'm not trying to pick a fight w/anyone on MR or make you think I am a liberal/racist scumbag, but I feel what I said is true.

22. iGary Guest

iGary

So youthink that if a black woman in SE DC woke up on Christmas morning and found her 6 year olde strangled with a paint stick that no one would notice? :confused:

Do you have specific cases as examples?

23. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I agree with MUCKYFINGERS. When a crime involves famous, good-looking, and/or well-to-do people, it's more newsworthy -- although "worthy" isn't always an applicable word.

24. gwangung macrumors 65816

You didn't notice, did you? There are a depressingly large numbers of similar cases in the metro newspapers.

Given that there were a number of feature stories about this very topic (some of which were running in parallel with the Holloway story), I find it hard for folks to be confused about this...

25. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I think he's got a point though. Any time a poor, black kid from the ghetto goes missing or is killed, it gets 10 seconds of coverage on the 5 o'clock news. Now, when it's a white person from upper class suburbia, like JonBenet, Elizabeth Smart, Laci Peterson, Natalie Holloway, etc, the media won't shut up about it. The only black kid from the ghetto who went missing who got any sort of media coverage was some kid in St. Louis, and that's because he was mentally challenged. Even that media attention lasted a week and remained local. With racism sadly still very prevalent in this country, I think that if the media was to give this much attention to a minority, they'd lose a ton of viewers, and in turn, ad dollars, and they know it, and thus, don't do it. Basically, if JonBenet was black, Fox would have so much airtime to fill, not even Bill O'Reily's inane rambling could fill it