Who knew there was a car award like this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by quagmire, Mar 26, 2007.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Well there is I guess an International Carwash Association. And they gave out an award to the best carwashable car for 2007. I honestly didn't know A) This group even existed and it was international B) This award even existed. This just strikes me as another weird award.

Anyway, congrats to Saturn for racking up another award for the new Saturn Aura. So as Autoblog says, when can I expect the Tiffany made replicas of this award to hit my door step like you're doing with the NA COTY award? :p

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/03/26/saturn-aura-named-2007s-most-washable-car/

2. iGav macrumors G3

At least we know way it's so dull to drive now, they spent all their time focusing on making it so easy and exciting to clean.

Keeps them off the roads though. That's a good thing I suppose. Weheh.

3. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They've actually existed for a long time, and research into paint / finish robustness with respect to carwashes has been going on for a long time too... it's an important issue to customers, although I don't think the manufacturers do a good job of communicating what a car is and isn't designed to withstand.

5. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Have you driven the Aura yet? It is not dull to drive. I enjoy driving my Aura XR with the 3.6 V6. It isn't the best car ever made or anything, but it isn't dull.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems fairly nice... thoughtful interior, good looks. How are the steering and suspension? And it's got a hybrid version too! :) Although... I need a pretty good argument before you'll convince me to drive a car that doesn't offer a manual transmission. To me, the Prius has enough cool things in it to make that argument, but the Aura doesn't.

But that's me. It seems like a fabulous design and implementation for GM.

7. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

The steering is pretty good. It has hydraulic power steering instead of GM's POS Electronic steering system. It is a bit heavy, but you'll get used to it. The EPS isn't that bad. But, for me I prefer road feel to easy to turn, but numb. It all depends what you want in the steering. If you want easy to turn steering, then the EPS system is for you. The Aura Greenline has the EPS system because Electronic power steering improves fuel economy. The Greenline isn't a "true" hybrid like Toyota's system. It gives a modest boost to fuel economy( 28/35). I wonder if GM will add the Two Mode system to the Aura in the future like there doing with the Vue which has 3 hybrid systems( the BAS system that is in the current Vue GL and Aura GL, the Two Mode hybrid system with the DI version of the 3.6 V6, and a plug in hybrid).

The suspension in the XE is softer giving it a more comfortable ride. The XR's setup has a firmer setup. Consumers Reports says its stiff, but it isn't that bad. My XR gives me a comfortable, but firm ride. I guess CR has a different criteria for there testing of a cars suspension. It isn't floaty like American cars of the past. The Aura doesn't have a stick because the Aura is supposed to give an "upscale" level in the mid size market. To the American consumer eyes, a stick isn't upscale. Plus, GM doesn't have a FWD stick that GM could afford to put in the Aura XR that could withstand the 251 lb of torque the 3.6 produces. There is the 9-3's FWD stick, but I suspect it is too expensive for GM to put in a $24K car.

8. iGav macrumors G3

You know, I just checked that link again and have only just realised it's not that Saturn Astra thing that I thought it was.

But why... why would Saturn want to make a bigger version of the dullest car on the planet? :confused:

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, I see. Telepathic steering, a moderately tight (by Euro standards) suspension, and a stick with a fun clutch are de rigeur for me. And I think GM eventually has to try to come to grips with why a manual transmission is not "upscale" on cars in the US but is available on the majority of luxury sedans. ;)

Nonetheless, though, EPAS issues and all, still seems to be the best sedan Saturn has ever made.

10. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

That is your opinion. I believe you don't live in the US right? Come here and see how dull our cars are. The Astra( however dull it is to you) is a welcome change in the compact market here. The Corolla, Civic, Cobalt, Ion, etc aren't exact head turners. The only real decent compact is the Mazda3 and the WRX Impreza. The same can be said about the mid size market. The current Malibu, Impala, Camry, Accord, etc are a good example of boresville. The Aura is a welcome change.

The Aura has a telescoping steering wheel if you meant that by a telepathic steering. As I said, the XR has a firm suspension. If it meets your needs, you need to test drive it yourself as everyones taste are different. Sorry, about the stick though. Very few cars these days are bought with sticks in the US. Even in the 'Vette I bet the people buy 'Vettes equipped with the Auto transmission( yes, I know its a sin, but its the truth :) ). So I bet GM couldn't come up with a business case to go and find a stick that could handle the 251 lb of torque and used the "upscale" excuse as to why they didn't put in one.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sorry, by telepathic I meant firm / direct / precise. Metaphoric usage. :p Like you close your eyes and point the car and it goes exactly where you meant it to, even at high speeds. There are lots of cars with excellent steering, the Ford Focus and Mazda Protege are actually two of my personal favorites steeringwise. But generally steering like any small Euro sedan.

I've been too busy to test drive much since the 2005 model year. I do need to go check out an Aura, though, just as a frame of reference, when I get a chance. Keeping up on that is something I miss from being in the industry just a scant three years ago!

12. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

There's something very naughty about those photos :eek:

13. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think some of it has to do with the problems of driving in the city. Maybe some folks don't mind, but I'm not a fan of sticks in downtown (especially bad cities like Baltimore). I just remember driving my old roommate's car around and spending an hour doing the 1-2 tango. An auto just lets you obsess with hunting for that next hole in traffic and avoiding the next hole in the road. When you factor in city grown and GM/Saturn's primary market, maybe the stick just wasn't worth developing/implementing.