Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Who reverted to SL after using Lion?

• Sticking with Lion

Votes: 615 67.1%
  • Downgraded to Snow Leopard

Votes: 301 32.9%

• Total voters

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I didn't. Lion has some big graphical changes but I'm just about used to them. I really love Mail now that I'm using the Favorites bar and hiding the Mailbox List. I also like that everything is quicker or at the very least just as fast as it was in Snow Leopard for me.

The only issue I have is with Mission Control and not being able to assign fullscreen apps to their own desktop/space. As a Spaces power user that bugs me (Ex. I always want Safari before Mail).

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I sort of wish that I hadn't let my curiosity get the better of me and download lion so quickly. Evernote and Carbonite don't seem to play nicely with it yet. But I have no doubt that they will in the near future. Otherwise I'm enjoying lion and am not thinking of going back.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
The only issue I have is with Mission Control and not being able to assign fullscreen apps to their own desktop/space. As a Spaces power user that bugs me (Ex. I always want Safari before Mail).
You can still do that. Right-click on applications and you'll see an option to assign it to a desktop.

EDIT: Oh wait, fullscreen apps. Never mind!

rubenarthe

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2009
Autosave a Nightmare

I did't find useful Mission Control (Exposé was simple & better for me), the Apps folder gone and LaunchPad make me loose time. The one who make me donwgrade was the Autosave feature, it is good for students and home users but not for PROS, we like to have FULL CONTROL and decide when and what to save, and when to choose Save As... It was a nightmare.

Amberfool

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2009
Maybe I'm just a big Apple fan-boy inside, but I've never really had any big problems with Apple, either on the software or hardware side, and Lion is no exception. Mail 5.0 is a massive improvement, both full-screen apps and Mission Control are great, and I could never even think about going back to spaces and expose. The UI changes are all nice, and while it took a day or two to get used to scrolling is not an issue either. If I were to have any problems with Lion, it would be on the way they handled side to side swiping, with the two finger swipe in Safari, 3 fingers in the rest of the OS, and 4 to get between desktops and all in varying directions, it is a bit badly thought out. Other then that, and a few minor and not very annoying bugs, it's been going great and I have absolutely no plans to go back to SL. ;)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I did't find useful Mission Control (Exposé was simple & better for me), the Apps folder gone and LaunchPad make me loose time. The one who make me donwgrade was the Autosave feature, it is good for students and home users but not for PROS, we like to have FULL CONTROL and decide when and what to save, and when to choose Save As... It was a nightmare.
Autosave/Versions is nothing more than a bonus (and the future. I would put money on it being added to Windows in the future).

If you want to save the old way then you can still do that with Save Duplicate. Personally, I think Apple should've left it named Save to avoid confusion.

Cinder6

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2009
I still don't understand the hate for "Save Duplicate". It's almost 100% identical to the old "Save As" dialog, except that it opens an extra window. Somehow, that is the end of the world.

That, or people don't see Save As anywhere and assume it's gone. Oddly enough, it's only the self-styled "pros" I see getting upset about this, while other people seem to have no problem. Kind of odd; you'd think the pros would be able to figure out how it works.

Same with the complaints of the "missing" app folder. I think a pro would realize it's trivial to get it back. Just drag the damn thing to the dock. Of course, I'd also think a pro would use something faster than manually navigating a bunch of icons--Spotlight at the least, but maybe even a dedicated solution like Alfred or LaunchBar.

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
eventually, SL (a GREAT OS), will become the new 10.4.11 (LOL), and those who stayed behind will find themselves LEFT behind...and will HAVE to update (to run things that will inevitably require a more-current OS.

for now, whatever works i guess. am sticking with Lion (and impatiently awaiting 7.1, 7.2, etc)...

chillvisio

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2011
Comment deleted, because it no longer represents my current view on subject.

Last edited:

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
I just nuked my install of Lion and did a clean install. Most of the glitchiness has been fixed. Upgrade path had too many issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2Shae

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
Lion is a very decent and needed upgrade from SL.
Reverting to an older OS is just rediculous in my opinion.

What possible reason would a person have to actually revert back? (aside from the obvious software incompatibilities that might occur)

cas85

macrumors regular
May 4, 2010
how many polls of the same topic can be posted in a 10 day period? maybe you should make that into a poll. for the record, i would but i'm too lazy to backup/install only to be curious of what 10.7.1 brings.

tigres

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
What possible reason would a person have to actually revert back? (aside from the obvious software incompatibilities that might occur)

Some users need an OS to operate correctly to do business; as for me, Lion borked 4 of my main required programs from an operational standpoint. They include: Mail, Finder shortcuts to shared server folders, iCal w/IMAP settings, Xcode- (this only scratches the surface actually)

how many polls of the same topic can be posted in a 10 day period? maybe you should make that into a poll. for the record, i would but i'm too lazy to backup/install only to be curious of what 10.7.1 brings.

If there are so many polls of which you are complaining about, maybe there is some validity. I see some 25% of users downgrading- according to this poll. Not sure of the other 10 polls.

buckers

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2010
Anglesey, UK
I put it on my older Mac. I'm happy with it overall, but am gonna wait for it to mature a bit before I put it on my main machine. I've encountered a few bugs.

handel30

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2011
Miami, Florida
Lion Roars!

I loved Snow Leopard, but Lion is even better. Wouldn't go back for anything. Some people were calling Lion Apple's Vista, but my last laptop was Vista and there's no comparing them. Lion is light years ahead and much more convenient and fun to use.

spronkey

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
Back to SL for me. I've always been a bit apprehensive when it comes to upgrading ever since Tiger came out. From 10.1 -> .2 and -> .3 was easy - it was all new features and performance, and basically nothing taken away.

Tiger .4 concerned me given I had old hardware at the time, but I jumped straight on the bandwagon when I went Intel.

Leopard was a hard sell, I was concerned that the silly new 3D dock etc. would slow my system down (and I was right, but thankfully you can turn it 2D. Yus!).

Snow Leopard was about the easiest decision in the world, but I instantly regretted it because it ruined Expose for me by removing the relative sizings of windows, and moving the windows around too much.

Lion... well. What a cluster****. If all you do with your Mac is use it in isolation for web browsing, mail, and the occasional video, go ahead. It's got some new eye candy (Mail, iCal, Launchpad, rubber band scrolling - yuck), and some features that dumb down some of the previously power-user features and make them more accessible (Mission Control).

But if you use your mac as a serious tool... well... Here's a list for you:
  • It's slower. (Post indexing, on both a Late 2008 Unibody 15" MBP, 2011 13" MBP)
  • The new gestures are disgusting. The thumb pinch is impossible, and the 2 finger swipe clashes with scrolling and doesn't work properly outside Safari.
  • Mission Control, while a good feature of its own accord, is not a replacement for Spaces and Expose. Why did Apple have to take these features away? What's wrong with having both Mission Control and the old Spaces/Expose? They don't seem mutually exclusive to me...
  • The new autosave document model might be "the way of the future", but when it comes to network devices and removable storage, YAY for holding on to billions of file handles and ****ing up my battery life, sleep routines, and general chi.
  • iCal peaked in 10.4. Ever since, it's been going downhill in terms of usability. This new leather feel is just another kick in the guts.
  • The multi-monitor issues. Display colour profiles not working on multimonitor systems, fullscreen apps not working on multimonitor systems, mission control being spastic on multimonitor systems... where's the quality control?!
  • There have been numerous issues with regards to upgrading from old installs. While it's always a bit of a hot topic, it's just another thorn in the side.
  • Safari 5.1 has serious issues. Memory leaks galore leaving me with no available RAM and causing my system to swap like a mofo. Extremely uncool.
  • Finder. Oh dear. "All my files" has no place on the system of anyone who knows what a file is, and this new grouped inline coverflow view is both tacky (like Coverflow itself), and extremely slow.
  • Finder's sidebar is now even less useful. Compare and contrast to Windows 7. Sigh.

I expected a lot more. I was looking forward to some of the cooler features of iOS - like saving application state, and good integration with things like GMail. I certainly didn't expect my operating system to start making decisions about which of my apps to keep open. I know this better than any algorithm ever will, Apple.

So, I reverted back to Snow Leopard (and in fact suprred me to find a Beta version of SL's Dock.app to get 10.5's expose, which I find vastly superior to SL's). It's better than SL has ever been for me - I highly recommend it.

What really irks me is the cavalier attitude Apple are now taking toward more professional users like myself. Previous editions of Mac OS X didn't really take away features; certainly not ones as prominent as Spaces and Expose - yet they are content to simply wipe the board clean with new UI tools that I believe one could empirically prove worse.

In the past, OS X felt like it was built by a team of interaction designers. People that understood how both novice and expert users work with computers, and who were able to craft a solid experience across the whole spectrum. Now, OS X feels like it's drawn by graphic designers and animators, who are concerned with flashy eye candy and have little regard to the human-computer interaction.

I love my Macbook Pro. There's nothing even remotely close to the form factor in the PC world. But I find myself longing for the utilitarianism that is Windows. (The lack of a 1440x900 panel and low-cost SSD on the now-rather-overpriced 13" Macbook Pro really isn't helping either)...

Last edited:

whitedragon101

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2008
What really irks me is the cavalier attitude Apple are now taking toward more professional users like myself. Previous editions of Mac OS X didn't really take away features; certainly not ones as prominent as Spaces and Expose - yet they are content to simply wipe the board clean with new UI tools that I believe one could empirically prove worse.

Bingo +1

tigres

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Back to SL for me. I've always been a bit apprehensive when it comes to upgrading ever since Tiger came out. From 10.1 -> .2 and -> .3 was easy - it was all new features and performance, and basically nothing taken away.

Tiger .4 concerned me given I had old hardware at the time, but I jumped straight on the bandwagon when I went Intel.

Leopard was a hard sell, I was concerned that the silly new 3D dock etc. would slow my system down (and I was right, but thankfully you can turn it 2D. Yus!).

Snow Leopard was about the easiest decision in the world, but I instantly regretted it because it ruined Expose for me by removing the relative sizings of windows, and moving the windows around too much.

Lion... well. What a cluster****. If all you do with your Mac is use it in isolation for web browsing, mail, and the occasional video, go ahead. It's got some new eye candy (Mail, iCal, Launchpad, rubber band scrolling - yuck), and some features that dumb down some of the previously power-user features and make them more accessible (Mission Control).

But if you use your mac as a serious tool... well... Here's a list for you:
  • It's slower. (Post indexing, on both a Late 2008 Unibody 15" MBP, 2011 13" MBP)
  • The new gestures are disgusting. The thumb pinch is impossible, and the 2 finger swipe clashes with scrolling and doesn't work properly outside Safari.
  • Mission Control, while a good feature of its own accord, is not a replacement for Spaces and Expose. Why did Apple have to take these features away? What's wrong with having both Mission Control and the old Spaces/Expose? They don't seem mutually exclusive to me...
  • The new autosave document model might be "the way of the future", but when it comes to network devices and removable storage, YAY for holding on to billions of file handles and ****ing up my battery life, sleep routines, and general chi.
  • iCal peaked in 10.4. Ever since, it's been going downhill in terms of usability. This new leather feel is just another kick in the guts.
  • The multi-monitor issues. Display colour profiles not working on multimonitor systems, fullscreen apps not working on multimonitor systems, mission control being spastic on multimonitor systems... where's the quality control?!
  • There have been numerous issues with regards to upgrading from old installs. While it's always a bit of a hot topic, it's just another thorn in the side.
  • Safari 5.1 has serious issues. Memory leaks galore leaving me with no available RAM and causing my system to swap like a mofo. Extremely uncool.
  • Finder. Oh dear. "All my files" has no place on the system of anyone who knows what a file is, and this new grouped inline coverflow view is both tacky (like Coverflow itself), and extremely slow.
  • Finder's sidebar is now even less useful. Compare and contrast to Windows 7. Sigh.

I expected a lot more. I was looking forward to some of the cooler features of iOS - like saving application state, and good integration with things like GMail. I certainly didn't expect my operating system to start making decisions about which of my apps to keep open. I know this better than any algorithm ever will, Apple.

So, I reverted back to Snow Leopard (and in fact suprred me to find a Beta version of SL's Dock.app to get 10.5's expose, which I find vastly superior to SL's). It's better than SL has ever been for me - I highly recommend it.

In the past, OS X felt like it was built by a team of interaction designers. People that understood how both novice and expert users work with computers, and who were able to craft a solid experience across the whole spectrum. Now, OS X feels like it's drawn by graphic designers and animators, who are concerned with flashy eye candy and have little regard to the human-computer interaction.

I love my Macbook Pro. There's nothing even remotely close to the form factor in the PC world. But I find myself longing for the utilitarianism that is Windows. (The lack of a 1440x900 panel and low-cost SSD on the now-rather-overpriced 13" Macbook Pro really isn't helping either)...

Well said. Completely agree although I wish I didn't have to.

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
I'm not a professional user, I'm a student and a power user, and lion is making me walk away from mac os x if it stays this way. I have to agree with spronkey, professional users and power users are getting the boot.
Apple should have left the iPad stuff iPad only, stupefying mac os x was a stupid idea.

spronkey said:
^This. +10^99

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I just downright stuck with Snow Leopard from the get-go. I know this thread is for those that have reverted back to Snow Leopard, but I still have some relevant input.

Lion just didn't seem to offer anything special, really. It had a few watered down features and nothing presented seemed to appeal to me. Sure, it's $30, but I am not going to spend that much money when it's not beneficial.

I can't really speak on the flow of the operating system as I have not gone near it, but in terms of the preliminary decision, it didn't seem to offer anything that was actually new or appealing, just work-arounds to previous things that Snow Leopard did just fine.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
I stay with LIon on my systems, but I might need to revert the MBP frm my wife. She says: the new System s<beep>s.
Gestures are fine but the laggy Japanese keyboard is killing her. As I'm not typing soo fast and often Japanese I don't mind; she is doing it every day. So when no patch comes I need to go back on her machine

JParsley

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
Autosave/Versions is nothing more than a bonus (and the future. I would put money on it being added to Windows in the future).

If you want to save the old way then you can still do that with Save Duplicate. Personally, I think Apple should've left it named Save to avoid confusion.

Windows has been doing this for quite a while, although not quite the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Copy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.