Who Loves Their Printer?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by macdaddy121, Feb 25, 2005.

1. macdaddy121 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2003
    Just curious....

I have asked advice on just about every electronic device a human could purchase, so I figured, "Why stop now?".

Give me all the advice on a printer you can give me.

Sadly I usually go and get what ever people advise off of this discussion board. So far you'll are 100% right on the money.

Thanks again.
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Well, I guess my first questions would be:

1. What do you want to use it for? Photo printing? Presentations? Newsletters? Mass mailings? Large-format stuff? We'd need to know this to know if we should recommend ink jet or laser or large-format, etc.

2. What kind of price point are you looking for? Under $100? Under $500?

3. Any thoughts on "extras" like built-in card readers, fax machine, scanner, etc.?

I think we could piece together a pretty good set of recommendations if we knew a little more about the ground rules. :)
  3. blackfox macrumors 65816

Feb 18, 2003
    without knowing any of the specifics (as mentioned by emw), I nominate Canon.
  4. Mark James macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    Sarf London
  5. macdaddy121 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2003
    Good Point

I guess I was thinking that you'll could read my mind. Sorry. :D

Don't want it to be too fancy. I only plan on printing Word documents and some digital pics. Nothing serious. I woudn't mind having a copier scanner all in one thing but it is not nessesary.

Price range would be under $200. I think that can get me a decent printer for what I want it to do.

Thanks and sorry for my stupidity.
  6. sjpetry macrumors 65816

Oct 28, 2004
    Tamarindo, Costa Rica
    Don't buy a brother printer. They are extremely hard to use.
  7. leekohler macrumors G5

Dec 22, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    I would say Epson. I love my Stylus Photo 1280-it's more expensive, but it makes great prints. Look into a lower-end Epson.
  8. Fourbin macrumors regular

Aug 28, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    I have an Epson, HP and Canon that all get regular use. The Canon is exceptional as a photo printer and prints extremely high-res 8x10s. It's the i960 I believe. The HP is the most reliable printer I've ever owned and print cartridges aren't too expensive.. I can find them wholesale usually for $40 both black and color. The Epson hower is the CX5200 all-in-one model and it has given me trouble everyday for the past month. I bought it 6 months ago and now it just doesn't want to print, I've tried cleaning the heads and everything. Ontop of that the Epson ink is about $80 to replace everytime for both black and color. For a great all around everyday printer get an HP, the most expensive you can get.
  9. tykles macrumors member

Dec 12, 2004
    I have an Epson CX6400 (all-in-one) which I really like. It prints photos of satisfactory quality, scans very well, does everthing I need. I don't remember how much I paid- maybe $179?
  10. atari1356 macrumors 68000

Feb 27, 2004
    Hewlett Packard inkjet printers are great... I've owned 2 HP's and one Epson. The Epson was okay in the beginning but over time the printing quality went down - to the point where I just ended up giving it away.

Both of the HP's I've owned have been very reliable, and the ink cartridges seem to last a lot longer than the Epson one did.
  11. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I love my Epson Stylus PHOTO R200
    Inexpensive, and great quality for me on everything, including photos

Woof, Woof - Dawg
  12. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Apr 22, 2004
    San Diego, CA
    I've heard good things about Epson, but I've had nothing but trouble with them. I've had at least two of their printers just die on me. I've always had good luck with HP. Cannon would also be a good way to go, I guess, although I've never had one of their printers. For me, I just stay away from Epson.
  13. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

Oct 19, 2004
    I had ok-to-bad experiences with HPs (admittedly this was years ago) and more recently horrible experiences with Lexmarks. My only contact with Epson (since dot-matrix) was my father's 777i, which was a nightmare, but my personal experience with it was minimal.

A couple years ago or so (don't remember exactly) I bought a Canon i450. It was, without a doubt, the best printer I have ever owned. It never gave me any problems, I mean that. This thing was great. Fast enough for me, good text quality, and evening amazing photo quality for the price. Don't get me wrong, this was by no means a good choice as a dedicated photo printer, but it will do the job in a pinch. It's plenty sharp, but the colors are not the greatest. Best of all, I was not using it that much; as you may know, ink tanks can dry out after about six months, and whatever ink you haven't used by then can soon be useless. The i450 uses small and cheap ink tanks: $6-8 for a black ink tank rated at 150 pages. That's small, but seriously cheap for a brand-name Canon ink tank made in Japan. Assuming you use the full ink tank on a more expensive HP or something, the per-page cost comes out to about the same, but with the i450 you have a better chance of getting what you pay for. Plus, paying less per cartridge can feel better. Buying a $30 cartridge for a $50 printer just feels wrong ...

Anyway, I was happy with it, but wanted to start printing more photos, so I decide to "upgrade" and gave the i450 to my brother. The new Canon iP4000 I bought to replace it is a whole other story ... I am still dealing with Canon on some problems with it, but that is a story for another thread. I'd tell it, but it still has to play itself out. In short, when it works the iP4000 is a great printer, but I haven't had the best of luck with it. To Canon's credit, they are working to address my issues.

The i450 has been replaced in the current Canon lineup by the $50 iP1500: it is a re-badged i450 with a fully-closing top door but no bottom tray. It used the same (by the specs / as far as I can tell) print head and ink tanks, so should perform the same. Also consider the $80 iP2000, which has the same ink tanks and print head, again, but adds more sophisticated paper handling options. Don't be mistaken, these are low-end inkjets, and I would not recommend them for even a "prosumer" level photo printer. But they should handle all of your text and occasional photo needs admirably and economically.
  14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I have an HP DeskJet 825C. No failures in years of usage. It is USB 1.1 but things print to it very fast. Plug and play with any Mac OS 9 and up and it works with 8.6, you just need drivers from their website. I love it. It isn't the fastest printer but it does a good job on quality vs. speed and the "economy" speed mode that it has is excellent. It is fast with little decrase in quality.
    Best thing about it though...
    The ink cartridges are the size of my hand, and don't run out for a long time. And they are cheap because the "remanufactured" ones (found on the 'net) work great and cost more to ship than buy. OK so thats a bit of an exaggeration but its pretty close. The cartridges are 4x bigger than the ones nowadays and cost at least half as much.

EDIT: I forgot to add that they are DIRT FREAKIN CHEAP on eBay due to their age. Those people don't know what they are missing...
  15. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    I'll second the previous comment about Lexmark printers.

My opinions on their printers are unprintable.
  16. mowogg macrumors 6502

Mar 10, 2004
    San Gabriel, CA
    Printer Love

LaserWriter 630 Pro from 1993. Still rocks. 32Mb and networkable. Canon 560i, $49.99 after rebate at Best Buy. It's quiet and fast. Hooked up to the Airport Extreme printer port it's available to the network too. One for color, one for cheap B&W. It's a good mix. I still can't believe I bought the LaserWriter on eBay for $100 and the seller shipped it to me for $25! What a great world!
  17. Twinkie macrumors regular

Feb 9, 2005
    Milford, MI
    I'll toss my two cents in here and give another vote to Canon.

I had an i850 that I replaced with an i960 (my parents needed a new printer, so I figured they could have my old one), and I've been nothing short of delighted.

I never had an Epson printer I liked. They always seemed to take FOREVER to prime, when I just needed to print out a few lines of black text. And we all know that HP's color cartridges are steep, to put it lightly.
  18. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 30, 2003
    Dallas, Texas

I have the Canon i960 and the photos that it prints are indistinguishable from photo lab prints. Text and documents are pretty good too, and B&W photos are mediocre.

Here's the bottom line - if you print most documents, get a laser printer, if you want top notch B&W photos, get an HP with the photo grey cartridge. If you want the best color photos, get the Canon with either 6 or 8 separate ink tanks.
  19. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Minolta/QMS Magicolor 2350. It's probably been updated since I bought mine. Network (ethernet) printers are the way to go. It came with a Mac printer driver, as well.
  20. Bibulous macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    This freebie dell works great, just can't use it with my powerbook :(

I have had good results with epson, not so much with hp.
  21. yOyOYoo macrumors 6502a

Feb 13, 2005
    I love my Canon IP4000

Excellent 2 sided printing, dual loading slots, super fast, also photo prints look fabulous!!!
  22. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

May 28, 2004
    In a false sense of reality...My Mind!
    Vote for Canon

Hello, I've had a HP all-in-one (hated it), currently have an Epson R300 but only for dvds/cds, but the best printer I've had/have is my Canon i960. It prints great pictures and if the BW picture is set up right they look great. I couldn't be happier with it. :D
  23. RealDeal macrumors member

Sep 17, 2004
    HP departmental lasers great cost per page

I pretty much skipped inkjets and went to Laser in 1992- a HP 4ML with postscipt- a good printer. Then got a 6L and a 1012- both garbage with expensive per page toner costs (round 5C canadian), and reliability issues.

Recently got a departmental-grade HP 4200. It was a shop end-of-line demo, and HP had a mail in rebate for C$500 with any old working laser (i bought one for C$25)- so it ended up costing me just C$500 for a 35ppm, 1 cent per page toner-cost heavy duty printer. Just have to be careful with the heat setting with acetates- you can fry a toner.
  24. HiRez macrumors 603

Jan 6, 2004
    Western US
    If you decide you can live with black and white only, I highly recommend the HP 1012 LaserJet. It's fast, quiet, dependable, space-efficient, and inexpensive to purchase and operate. Plus it produces fantastic, sharp 1200x600 (actually 600x600 optical) output. I have a Canon S300, which is a very nice inkjet printer, however it was costing me a bloody fortune in ink, and I have pretty modest printing needs. If you don't print a bunch of stuff every day, your cost per page can be extremely high as the cartridge may dry out before you even get to use all the ink. This is a problem with many, if not all inkjets, you will spend many times the initial cost of the printer in ink over the long run. The cost of a laserjet drum is higher, but you'll get thousands of prints out of it. Now the Canon is back in its box, and the HP has completely replaced it. The 1012 can be had for only $150 now (I got mine at Staples), although if you get one beware: it does not come with the necessary 6p-4p USB cable to use it, so you'll have to get that separately (I happened to have one sitting around).
  25. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

May 6, 2004
    What's Your Favorite Posish
    ive owned 3 epsons (why oh why) they all died pretty much straight away, i hate them, i wont ever use the again - my bro in law has had the same problem,

junk in my opinion