Who LOVES Trader Joes!

Discussion in 'Community' started by neildmitchell, Aug 22, 2005.

1. neildmitchell macrumors 6502a

May 21, 2005
    So who loves the Store Trader Joes?
    I do I do, They are so dang cheap and carry great stuff. :)
  2. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I went when I was in Cali. I thought it was gonna be totally awesome.

I was less-than-thrilled with it.
    Yeah, it was cool, but I thought it was totally over-priced!
    Maybe I'm just comparing TX prices V CA prices, but.. DAMN!

It's a cool place, but too rich for my blood.

I got the soymilk though.. pretty good :)
    and some veggie sushi rolls.. not good. They tasted like fish.. Ew. (I've never had sushi, nor will I ever again. Ewww... {not the raw fish part, I don't do any fish, the weird tasting rice part})
  3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Too rich? hehe i think compared to places like Whole Foods it is rather cheap for what you get. Most my grocery shopping is done at TJ's now, im in love with it! Great wine and beer selection, good pre-prepared food, i couldnt be happier with it :p

the Vienna beer from TJ's is great, im nto fond of 2 buck chuck, but they have a decent selection of wines that they constantly rotate. I like the Chilean wines, but i was never fond of the Yellow Tail from Australia.

4. neildmitchell thread starter macrumors 6502a

May 21, 2005
    I absolutely love Chilean wines, a well kept secret, SHHHH! :)

I picked up a bottle of the Yellow Tail Shiraz tonight for a later time, what was it that you didnt care for?
  5. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    I love Trader Joe's! I don't shop there that often, but whenever I need something that might be a little more difficult to find, I head over there. And I generally find that TJ's is cheaper than Whole Foods or Gene's or whatever else.
  6. Ph4lynx macrumors member

Apr 29, 2004
    University Place
    haaa i bike down to trader joes every morning on my way to school..
    Love the Place
  7. joepunk macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    I like to get tofu cream cheese and Thai peanut sauce there. I love the Joe-Joe's chocolate cream cookies. I guess I shall have to try out those Chilean wines after all. Great place for the unique/hard to find food items.
  8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Shopped at Trader Joes in Palm Springs a few years ago. Nicer than Albertsons, but on the whole about 30% more expensive than Canadian groceries on staples (milk, fruit, veg.), cheaper on manufactured foods.
  9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005

They have nice samples at times too! I dont shop there for staples, but for meal add-ons, wines, and ideas for new dishes (I'm a wannabe chef) its a GREAT store and has some great prices imho.

I <3 TJ's

*ticks devilot in to their cool people list*

*wanders off to bed*

10. devilot Moderator emeritus

May 1, 2005
    But that's the thing, isn't it? Supposedly, TJ's is marketing towards organic-minded, tree-loving people who will pay a premium for healthier alternatives. ;) :D But then along comes a greedy piggy (much like myself) and partakes of the delicious yummies. I really like their juices, too. All those lovely sparkling juices... lemonade, pink lemonade, berry lemonade... mmmm. *drooling a bit*

Yay! I'm on a cool people list. Haha, that's gotta be a first in a loooooong time. :eek:
  11. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    Trader Joes + Whole Foods within walking distance from my place = yum.
  12. XIII macrumors 68040

Aug 15, 2004
    I went to TJ's when I was in Cali. Seemed fairly cool, but my highlight were the chocolate covered caramels. :D
  13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    not a bad store... i prefer my whole foods stores though :D

or wegmans :D
  14. blueflame macrumors 6502a

Apr 3, 2003
    Studio City
    what a funny thread

trader joes is great.
  15. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    It's where we get all of our groceries - we have one about a mile down the road.
  16. krimson macrumors 65816

Oct 29, 2003
    Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    i used to have a TJ's 2 blocks from my house, now i have to drive all the way to pasadena :(

for those suffering in heat, they have a lemon popsicle pack for like $2.. so yummy. :D
  17. cyanide macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2005
    If you think trader joe's is great, you should see Jungle Jim's here in Cincinnati (fairfield really, just north of the city). it blows joe's out of the water.
  18. njmac macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    I love:
    Whole Foods
    Trader Joes

but I usually shop at ShopRite.
  19. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    Trader Joes is fantastic. Until last year when we moved to Indiana, we had one about 1.5 miles from our house in Old Town Alexandria - now we have to drive 2 1/2 hours to Chicago to get our fix.

The wines are great, some of the best cheap wines out there. I think 1/2 of our pantry is full of Trader Joes stuff :D

I'm hoping they eventually open one up in Fort Wayne or at least closer than Chicago....

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    there's a safeway down the street from me, so it's hard not to go there for convenience, but we've been trying to go to trader joe's more often lately. they are somewhere between cheaper and slightly more expensive than safeway, plus they have better products (more organic, gelatin free yogurts, etc etc). whole foods is overpriced for the same products, and seems like people go there just because they have money and it makes them feel good to spend more money on food. it's a good sign that there is competition among organic markets, and i guess trader joe's is the shopper's food warehouse of organic stuff. which is cool with me.
  21. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Mar 4, 2004
    Their salt & vinegar potato chips (crisps) are fantastic. If you get the bag anywhere near your face, it'll bring a tear to your eye!
  22. Silencio macrumors 68020

Jul 18, 2002
    Great place. Most of their stuff is bargain-priced. I think it gets "expensive" in that you tend to buy more esoteric food items from there that you don't necessarily need and it eventually adds up! It's also very nice that most of their products aren't full of trans fats and other bad stuff.

It's impossible to buy your groceries there exclusively, since they have some gaps in their coverage and some of the products are flat-out subpar (their produce and their cheeses are definitely not grade "a" quality), but that's outweighed by the huge list of inexpensive goodies: organic/free range meats, cheap soy milk, fairly cheap/good cereal, good selection of inexpensive wine, rock bottom prices on microbrewed/imported beers and liquor, exotic snacks and frozen goods, very cheap yet tasty whole bean coffee.

There's a decent largish healthfood store down the street from me where I get most of my produce, though their selection is fairly basic.

Whole Paycheck is the supermarket that's expensive!

I can't stand Safeway anymore. I feel dirty just walking into one now. Kind of jarring to see the zombies pushing around their shopping carts full of Hot Pockets and Pringles and other toxic treats.
  23. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    My wife really likes Trader Joe's. They have quality items, things that you just can't purchase anywhere else. I have a friend that love's the place also.
  24. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    Eugene, OR
    I used to always shop at Trader Joe's but I recently moved and there is no one around. I love their sparkling french lemonade and their sparkling cranberry drink. Their frozen fettucine alfredo is good especially if you put a little nutmeg and sherry in it. Good selection of breads too
  25. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

Feb 7, 2002
    maybe it's just because i don't really go to other places (ie, giant, etc). but safeway seems to actually be relatively decent for a lot of things.

for instance, their "safeway select" products are pretty good, including their breads, frozen pizzas, etc. not the most specialized items of course. also, at some safeways (not the one close to me, but another one about 2 miles away), there are organic/natural sections that are actually pretty huge. sort of miniature trader joe's, filling an entire double aisle... pretty impressive really.

that doesn't mean that most people avoid those sections like the plague though. hah