Who Makes the Best USB Flash Pen Drives?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Shaun.P, Aug 15, 2005.

1. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

If you've read my previous topic (about purchasing a SanDisk Cruzer Mini 512 MB and cancelling my order because of the reviews I've read online).

What make do you recommend?

There are too many to pick from and I'm looking for a reliable, nicely designed USB FLash Drive.

SanDisk, Imation, Iomega, Sony, Kingston, Crucial, the list goes on and on.

What USB Flash Drive do you recommend and how long have you had it?

2. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

Also - I forgot to mention this is for me to take to university (i.e. transfer files between home (mac) and uni (pc - dell).

Thanks.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

get a shuffle... double duty flash drive and mp3 player

4. Shaun.P thread starter macrumors 68000

Shaun.P

I thought someone would say that :p. I've had a shuffle and sold it to get a Mini. Plus they are too expensive (my price range is around £40, not £70).

Thanks anyway.

5. reh macrumors 6502a

My Cruzer Micro has been working just fine for about a year. The plastic end cap is now fairly loose, but everything else is just fine.

6. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

I got the USBDISKPRO off of Amazon for cheap, but can't remember exactly. It's been fine for me, but they have partitioned off 1.4mb for security settings for Windoze, which are no use whatsoever! I wouyld recommend one.

::20ROGERSC::

7. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

I snagged a 1GB LG one from Costco Superstore locally, it's been great. It has a retractable USB tip so there is no cap to lose. I haven't had it long, or used it much, but it's worked great so far.

I think it was US $70....heck, I'll pick one up for you if you'd like.

LG USB Flash Drive

Mine is black and silver, but it's the same idea....

8. briansolomon macrumors 6502

briansolomon

I got one on sale a few years ago at OfficeMax or OfficeDepot a couple years ago...$10 for 64 MB. They have sales every now and then for 256, 512 MB versions for about the same price. I never actually thought that there were actually problems with these type of devices. They seemed pretty foolproof unless you leave them on your dashboard in the sun or drop them.

Anyway, it was a MicroAdvantage QuickiDrive. Coming up on having it three years now.

9. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

10. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

The best? they are all pretty much the same...just get one that has USB2 and that is small and looks pretty.

11. Crikey macrumors 6502

I've had three of them, and bad luck with each.

I was given a 64MB drive from www.usb007.com which worked okay for 18 months then developed an intermittent connection. I always used it gently, but it did live in my pocket for a year and a half.

I replaced it with a 256MB Iomega Micro Mini when those came out. Always had bad luck with Iomega Zip and tape drives, but Flash drives have no moving parts, so what could go wrong? After 6 months, it just went dead. Plug it in, LED stays dark. Iomega offered to replace it, but I didn't want to lose another 256MB of data, so I went without a flash drive until recently.

I ran across a good deal on a 1GB SanDisk Cruzer Micro and bought that. It worked great the few times I used it. After a few days I seem to have lost it.

Oh, well.

Crikey