who needs more raw power from their imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sexyos, Oct 26, 2006.

1. sexyos macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2006
    I love the core 2 Imacs!

I would like to know though if anyone knows if apple plans to release an iMac with Intel's Performance chpset, so as we can get our hands on to an Extreme Edition Mac. Now that would be cool.
  2. wchong macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    are u seriously planning to buy another imac within one year? i think not
  3. governor macrumors member

Aug 31, 2006

The thing with mac is that you should be able to keep them for a long while.

I'm planning to keep my imac core 2 duo for at least 4 years.
  4. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

Sep 4, 2006
    It is very unlikely apple will do that until their next revison which probably won't anytime soon (I have been wrong though). Apple will not be dictated by the hectic release schedule of x86 based chips/chipsets and I think the wait for the c2d macbook pro was a statement reaffirming that.
  5. Umbongo macrumors 601

Sep 14, 2006
    I doubt it, but it depends on the reason Apple are using mobile core 2 duo in the iMacs. Was it due to them already using core duo and not wanting to change the platform drastically, or was it because of heat issues? If it's the former then obviously it's more likely that conroe could make it into iMacs, but I imagine it's the latter. Of course there is also the whole branding thing anyway, of iMacs being a consumer/business desktop and not needing alot of power which makes me think it unlikely we will see conroe in macs.
  6. sexyos thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 26, 2006
    Now that windows can be installed on a mac (Which is only any good for games) apple should start to target the gaming market with there hardware design. Gamers would love a 30 inch Imac with an intel x6800 (2.93 GZ, 1066Mhz front side buss 4MB L2) cpu, with isight.
    I hope Apple will soon start to target the pc Home and gaming market with there next gen PC lineup.

Gamers don't want a mobile pc platform for a desktop PC.
  7. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    I'm sure that Apple will do that eventually, but most likely not in the near future. By the time Apple is ready to make their next gen iMac, as described by you, there will most likely be technology for a even faster processor.
  8. wchong macrumors 6502

Sep 18, 2006
    Miami, Fl
    yep, at that moment it's really going to be "next-gen".

the intel cores inside a mac is considered next-gen by apple standards.