Who needs to be offered in the Music catalog?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chewbaccapits, Apr 26, 2003.

1. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Forget about the money aspect of the music service for a moment. What artists need be in APPLE's MUSIC SERVICE catalog when its publicly rolled out? Is there any artist/groups that will make or break the service? Who has to be offered for it to be considered a "deep" catalog for people to choose from?

2. szark macrumors 68030

szark

I don't think any specific artist(s) will make or break the service, but I do agree with many posters here that it needs to offer more than just the artists on the current Billboard charts.

A good mix of artists from all types of music will make the best service (IMHO).

3. vniow macrumors G4

B-sides.
    Live stuff.
    Rarities.

Just various things you can't buy on CD, like old recodrings that are in the vault somewhere and you can't find them after looking for hours on the internet, that's a lot of the things that have got me exited about this music service is its potential to go way beyond any other current music service, the mainstream stuff doesn't intrest me much, its more of the back catalog material which I'm looking for.

But then again, it could end up being something totally different, I mean, its pretty clear now that this is coming, but nobody knows exactly what it will entail..

4. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Exactly that, this is all i get off the internet these days, i try to get all the stuff you CANNOT get. The live stuff of versions of the same song you already have but an acoustic version or whatever.

The music industry could be earning more if they put the obscure stuff on CD.

5. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I'd love to see B-sides.

As for Live recordings....not so much. Don't get me wrong, I love going to concerts. But, when I go to a concert I find out the band I like is a total studio band. Therefore, I'd much rather hear a studio produced CD than a live recording. It's not all bands, but some. Plus, I hate how they always put 15 to 20 seconds of the crowd cheering. That drives me crazy.

Rarities are a great idea. I'm a huge Beck fan, and like 4 of his albums are out of print. I'd love to see the tracks on those albums placed in the service.

6. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

I have to disagree, while the quality isn't as good, i feel the atmosphere that comes with a live song cam nearly make up for it. Recently i just purchased an album that is totally live and acoustic, while it is different, it was good listening to people singing along with your favourite tunes. I have the studio versions of course, i'm just interested in anything if i like the band.

7. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

I agree that Live songs do create a great atmosphere, but I just find it annoying hearing other people sing. I buy CD's of an artist because I want to hear them sing, not 5,000 fans. I'm just one of those people who doesn't like to sing along (mainly because I know how bad of a singer I am, and I'm easily embarassed).

But, there are some bands that I love to hear live recordings. Dave Matthews Band, Weezer, Radiohead. It just depends on the artist and the style of music.

The music service needs diversity in the music it offers. The way I look at it, the more music by an artist, the better. The more I think about it, Live recordings are a great addition. If you like them, you'll have the ability to download them. And, if you don't like them, then the studio version of the songs will also be available. It's a win-win situation.

8. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Popular Billboard Stuff

The only reason I would use a service like this would be to buy popular stuff that I like, but I don't like enough to buy the full album.

If it's an artist I really like, I do buy the CD. For a good artist, the album tracks are good too, and the whole CD is worth listening to. It's also a 'collector' thing I guess.

I also wouldn't buy a CD worth of stuff, since paying a lot for lossy compressed audio is a bad deal, compared to CD.

What would also be an interesting service would be compressed or uncompressed high sample rate stuff, or high bit depth stuff (24/96) - a format that it's difficult to buy commercially.

9. chewbaccapits thread starter macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

Don't you think that B-sides and live-recordings are subject to only a small portion of music listeners?