Who owns a surround sound system?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Poeben, Feb 27, 2006.

Do you own a surround system?

1. No

2. Yes, computer type system (logitec and the like)

3. Yes, home theatre system

4. Yes, professional monitoring system

1. Poeben macrumors 6502

Jul 29, 2004
    Don't know if this has been done yet, but I am curious to know who here owns a surround sound system. I have been doing a lot of surround recordings lately and just want to know what's out there in the MR community.

I am also wondering how many of those with a system think they have it set up "properly" vs. those with speakers in random/convenient spaces (due to room layout etc.) Extra points to anyone who has calibrated their system with an SPL meter.
  2. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    I have two set ups

one for Xbox 360/quieter movies (later at night so not to wake others and still get the full 5.1 effect)

and one with a huge bass for movies that i really want to hear and for HD events (super bowl, world series, ect... and for HDTV in general)
  3. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
  4. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Just for my TV. Although I have a pair of Apple Pro speakers hooked up to my Powermac G4, very sexy.
  5. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004
    I do have a surround sound system for my TV but I don't have the rear speakers hooked up. For that matter it's not much of a surround sound experience. :confused: :confused: :confused: :D

I'm just to lazy to put them up and I hate to run the cables across the living room.

I have the CreatureII's for my iBook, I love those little suckers...
  6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    I've currently got the Sony SAVA-700 integrated system hooked up to my TV (Sony 36"). I'm experiencing some problems with what seems to be a loose solder joint that is causing the front speakers to cut in and out occasionally. I'll probably be upgrading soon to some sort of independent receiver and speaker package...still deciding on the details.

Attached Files:

7. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    Yes 6.1 connected to Computer, Television and AirTunes
  8. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
    I have a 1000 watt 7.1 system... And it is in no way setup as a surround system (Due to space constraints [Where the hell am I going to put 7 speakers + a sub? I should have though of that earlier...]) But I am totally happy :D

I use it mainly to listen to music via APE (Optical, Woot! :) ), and to make up for the crappy sound my HD LCD TV has... Gamecube, and PS2 [Now mainly a DVD player]

I'll set it up properly... someday :eek:
  9. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 14, 2005
    I have a high end Denon receiver that a friend gave me/let me borrow for a few years (he is moving overseas), and I bought some nice Athena speakers to go with it.

Since the manual is larger than my current school textbook, I have not spent much time reading it. I am positive it is set up wrong, but I'll get there.

I do, however, love Airtunes. That's the best thing about my new system, playing itunes over the stereo.
  10. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
  11. macEfan macrumors 65816

Apr 7, 2005
    Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    all i have is a crappy set of 5.1 computer speakers that only cost me $30. Belive me, they suck :(
  12. CompUser Guest

We have a bose home theater for our bonus room TV. It works very well and a lot of sound comes out of those little speakers. In our family room we have some in wall speakers because its really open so the sound just floats away and you can't hear it very well. We also have some outdoor speakers outiside.
  13. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    I prefer having a very high quality 2 channel receiver/speaker setup than having 5 or 6 channels of mediocre audio. :)
  14. clayj macrumors 604

Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    I have a fairly high-end system, with a B&K AVR-307 AV receiver and Miller and Kreisel 750-THX speakers/subwoofer in a 6.1 configuration. My living room is irregularly shaped at the back, so the rear speakers do not fit a perfect rectangle, but they have been calibrated using the AVR-307's control panel, which allows you to adjust the sound level from each speaker based on its distance from dead center.

5 years old, and it still sounds as good as it did when I got it.
  15. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

Jan 14, 2002
    South Dakota, USA
    I have a Yamaha 6.1 receiver hooked to a Bose Acoustimass 16 6.1 speaker system and the result is amazing for watching movies. Music is good on it as well, but not as good as a dedicated 2 channel system with big speakers. I use Airport Express to listen to music through the system. It works very well and is much nicer to listen to then through computer speakers. I went for Bose because I love their style. You can probably find speakers that are cheaper that will do the same, but will be larger and not as stylish.

Now of course since I stated I own Bose speakers someone will have to come on here and say..."No highs and no lows, must be Bose." but really that is not true. The place where the tiny Acoustimass satellites have trouble is the midrange, not the highs and the triple driver powered Bass Module does well enough it can shake things in my house during an explosion or gun fight. There is virtually no distortion and it is very clear and nice to listen to. Again, Sub/Sat systems are still best for movies, but unless you are an audiophile you will have no complaints with the music these systems can produce.
  16. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    I've been working on my home cinema room lately. it's really ONLY for cinema, it's not used for sitting in, reading in, listening to music, knitting in, whatever. :) perhaps it's more of a 'screening room'. dunno.

it's all done reasonably cheaply, with some Wharfedale speakers, Yamaha receiver, a professionaly made screen and mid-range DLP projector.

the room is pretty small, it isnt a purpose built room as such, it was just there from when we moved in. (house was brand new when we moved in, just built)

I painted the walls a real dark sort of eggplant colour.. in a really flat paint (no gloss).. fitted some wall-mount gold terminals for speakers and other a/v connections, bolted projector to the roof, etc.

it's probably half finished I spose. still got new furniture to go in, but it's coming along very slowly.

here's a few pics, ignore the mess, and the red couches are now gone haha, pretty early pics really.

sound isnt bad, dont have a subwoofer yet, bummer, but will eventually. it still sounds nice.

I'd be interested in a new speaker system for my mac when it arrives. Just not sure which system! soundsticks perhaps.

Attached Files:

17. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    nice one.

I have a 12+ year old Bose lifestyle system in my garage. Right on my BEER fridge. It's funny, the system design hasnt changed to this date. my mate bought a simular system not long ago, and it's identical, except the sub module which is a bit different shape.

It goes hard, and it's hand with the wireless remote control when I'm working in the garage or entertaining out the back.. :)

infact, just dug out a real low res pic i had laying around. pic shows beer fridge, with bose unit(s) on top. one cube array mounted on the wall with 'vogel' brackets. wall behind me in this pic has the other array. also note sony trinitron 59cm TV on top of the closet thingo.. workbench, tool chest, etc

i sometimes drag my laptop in here and sit at the workbench on a stool. listen to tunes, watch tv, drink a beer, generally hang out... I call it "the mens room". it's very important to me, and was one of the deciding factors of buying this house (because the garage was so good/big, etc)

mad? :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

18. ericsthename macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2005
    Vancouver BC

I have a piece by piece bought and assembled 7.1 surround sound system, all loudspeakers, not home theatre in a box style. For all those on a budget like me, its a challenge, but you can usually get some unreal deals on last pairs and such... for example, I picked up a centre channel that retailed for $250, as the last one they had for $50... and haggled myself an extended warranty for free. As for setup, I set mine up to the best of my ability, by reading online guides, and by using my own two ears. My receiver has an automatic setup microphone, to judge individual speaker distances, and I found them to be on the money!

For all those considering buying one of those insanely priced audio cables, check this site out first...

19. turbopants macrumors regular

Feb 11, 2006
    Nice systems everyone. I have a 5 speaker setup of a pair of Bose 501's and 301's, and a center channel speaker. I need to get a subwoffer. :D
  20. wwooden macrumors 68000

Jul 26, 2004
    Burlington, VT
    I have my XBox 360 hooked up to a Sony surround sound system with an optical cable. I can't remember the model number of the system, but it is nothing fancy, only around a few hundred dollars. It is a dolby Digital DTS system, sounds good enough for me. I have a Phillips 34" HDTV as well. I wouldn't say I have the nicest setup, but it is perfect for me.
  21. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

Jan 19, 2003
    London, England
    I design these studios for my Uni, I think I posted a pic somewhere...

Here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=2105766&postcount=21

Standard 5.1 out of a ProTools HD3 rig is Dynaudio BM5 monitors with a BM10s LFE.

All nicely self powered and is a good, cheap alternative for small rooms, however I favour the Air 20's and the sub mainly for the ethernet controllability.

Still, the Air system is 3 times the price.

OK it's not a cinema, it's a working systems that gets used for everything from surround recordings of orchestras, rock/pop multitracking and mixing, DVD pre-pro to DVD-a playback.
  22. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Jan 23, 2005
    I have one... its awesome!

I really want one for my computer though, but so expensive!
  23. floriflee macrumors 68030

Dec 21, 2004
    We have a 5.1 Bose system. I don't remember the model number, but I got it from Sam's a few years back. It's really getting its use being connected to a Receiver that connects to a 13" TV (it was free so we can't complain).

We also have 2 2.1 systems Altec Lansing systems--one in the bedroom and one in the office. Both hook up to our iPods. The one in the office can hook up to a computer.
  24. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop
    All Sony 5.1 - everything (including DVR, and Airtunes) optical. Speakers are Monitor Audio Silver series RS6's for the L and R channels, R180's for Center and rears.

It makes the neighbors wet their beds. ;)
  25. stonyc macrumors 65816

Feb 15, 2005
    That setup you have going is very sharp, Cybix!