Who owns both an iPad and MBA?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by nStyle, Mar 28, 2012.

Which do you own?

1. MBA + iPad - The two complement each other.

164 vote(s)
  2. Just a MBA - I have no use for an iPad

29 vote(s)
  3. Just an iPad - I have no use for a MBA/the iPad does what I need it to do.

7 vote(s)
  1. macrumors 6502a

Dec 6, 2009
    I currently have the iPad 3 and have had a MBP in the past. I find that I am missing the power and capability that the MBP provided.

The iPad obviously serves its purpose: extremely lightweight, amazing screen, consumption.

I'm just curious who else here feels the same and, as a result, owns both for the two different purposes they offer.

iPad + keyboard just isn't an option. Sure, I'd have a clunky keyboard that I can hardly use anywhere but a desk, but I'd still be limited in what it can do: functionality.
  2. macrumors 603

Oct 31, 2010
    Hamilton, Ontario
    i agree depending on your needs an iPad can or cannot do it all for you
  3. macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    I have both, and an MBP...The Air and the iPad do compliment one an other.
  4. macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I have a MBP, MBA and the new iPad
    (and an iPhone)

I love what all of them bring in unique functionality
    I use each for different purposes (although my older MBP doesn't get much use)

I love traveling with my MBA/iPad combo
    I also use Win7 with VMware Fusion

I wouldn't want to part with any of my devices
  5. macrumors 6502

Jun 20, 2009
    New Mexico
    I don't have an iPad (yet) but I did earn my MBA :rolleyes:
  6. macrumors Nehalem

Feb 19, 2005
    ^5 :d
  7. macrumors 68000

Mar 5, 2011
    I went from a 2011 11in MBA to a 2011 13in MBA + 2012 iPad. More costly, sure, but more fun :p
  8. macrumors 68000

Aug 7, 2011
    Liverpool, UK
    I have both. And a desk top. Each has it's uses BUT since I purchased a BT keyboard for the iPad, I find myself taking the MBA on the road with me less and less. It's only when I know I will need excel that I take the MBA with me. For everything else I use iWork and iPad
  9. macrumors 68040

Mar 27, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    I have both, as I also believe that they complement one another quite well. I like reading on the iPad and it is the first thing I reach after in the morning.
  10. macrumors 65816

Oct 15, 2008
    The Gem State
    I have both and love both. I could live without my iPad if I had to, but the iPad is a little more fun to use.
  11. macrumors newbie

Sep 6, 2009
    Own several

As many have said, I own MBA, iPad, and iPhone. I do find that each of these play a very unique role in my Apple arsenal. I also find them all light enough to carry all 3 if need be.
  12. macrumors G5

Jul 29, 2011
    Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
    Yep, I have one of those XL City Messenger cases, into which will fit, my MBP17" MBA 13" iPad and magsafe chargers, Mice et al. It's rare I carry the Pro around if I can avoid it....My arms are getting too long from the strain..:D
  13. M-5
    macrumors 6502a

Jan 4, 2008
    I originally had a MBP and an iPad 2, but I sold my iPad 2 after a few months since I couldn't justify the price of it for how little I needed it. I felt like I could already do too many things with my iPhone, and I didn't' like how slow websites loaded on the iPad when compared to a laptop. I guess I just didn't like that you can't have several windows open side by side on an iPad.

So I sold my iPad and MBP and upgraded to a MBA. This has seemed to work great for me. The only thing I miss is being able to read PDFs have ebooks on the iPad, since those are better reading experiences than on the Air.
  14. macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2007
    Liverpool, UK
    I had the old first gen MBA, then got a iPad (1st gen), didn't see much point in the iPad since the mba was small enough, now ended up using 11 inch MBA as main computer, and I'm happy with it. Really dislike having to see ads on safari browser for iPad, miss adblock, well their are alternatives to the iOS browsers but they are quite weird and are a bit harder to use.
  15. macrumors 6502a

Dec 13, 2011
    Sacramento, CA
    MBA and iPad-3 here. MBA is better for email unless you're just browsing/deleting. App store games are way better (or more prevalent actually) on the iPad.
  16. macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    There wasn't a choice for iPad + MBA, rarely touch iPad since getting MBA.
  17. macrumors 68000

Mar 11, 2008
    Two different devices for different purposes. Both have their place.
  18. macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I couldn't disagree more.
  19. macrumors 601

Jan 11, 2012
    Pacific Coast, USA
    OK, true confessions, I'm a total MBP, MBA, iPad & iPhone Addict.

I thrive on choices, variety, and the pleasure of using OS X / iOS daily. Employing my Macs for both work & personal I'd get awfully bored with just one or two.

Fortunately I have the resources to fulfill my desires, therefore I own 17" & 15" MBP's, 13" & 11" MBA's on the OS X side. Then there's my iPads 2 & 3, as well as iPhones 4 & 4S.

The answer to the question? They all get a lot of use, none are ignored or just sitting gathering dust. I do a very wide variety of engineering work with the MBP's, the MBA's are traveling companions, as are the iPads.

I have no desire to use an iPad as a laptop replacement since the nature of my work is simply too complex. The highest & best use of my iPad, is a device to relax and surf the web with.
  20. hrl
    macrumors member

Feb 8, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I have MBP, MBA, and iPad.

I find them serve different purposes. MBA is what I use for work. MBP for my creative needs (photos, videos, website design, iTunes,...). iPad is my bedside companion.
  21. macrumors 68000

Mar 11, 2008
    So someone can't have both a MBA and an iPad? Sorry, didn't know you were in charge, you should let Apple know right away! :rolleyes:
  22. macrumors 68020

Nov 3, 2008
    IPad and MBA11". But I'm selling my 11" in favor of a 13 because with the iPhone, iPad and 11" then its a bit redundant.
  23. 2IS
    macrumors 68030

Jan 9, 2011
    I've got both. I use the iPad a lot when I'm on the couch watching TV or laying in bed. Read news articles, sports columns, social networking, a game every once in a while, reading/replying to emails.

I use my MBA when I need to get real work done.
  24. macrumors 68030

Jul 21, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have both, and I don't see them as two completely different things. The iPad is just a neutered version of a mac. I use it occasionally on the couch when I just want to look something up really fast. But for 90% of things it's kinda of a hassle to use and I would rather use my MBA. iPad is also good to watch movies on a long flight.
  25. macrumors 6502

Jun 18, 2010
    Rip City
    I have both, and a Windows computer that I built for games. It's speed really spoils me, so when the IB MBP drops, I'm going to upgrade to a 15"/17” for when I need the power, and my iPad is great for everything else.